The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do you do with your work?

JeffK

Question for the you's out there that consider yourself amateur/hobbyists (with some serious gear)...

What do you do with your work????

Last edited:

JeffK

I'll start with myself. I currently post my work over on my IG account. But mostly, I create the images, edit and print at home and not much else these days. And that's enough for me. The process of creating and printing is enough for me.

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
I mostly show my work on flickr, here and on chinese wechat plattform.
When friends or strangers are interrested in my work of course i sell it to them, but i am not yet advertising my work heavily.

in may i did an exhibition in beijing about my great wall of china work, it was a great experience and i would like to do it again in otherparts of china and of course all over the world some day.

Makten

Not much actually. I post images on FB, flickr, various forums and occasionally my photo blog (in swedish). But the interest from others is so low that it's barey worth it. After a couple of days I will in most cases never view my own images again; I only have "passion" for what I did most recently. For the same reason I never print images. Ever.
Instagram? Heck no, just another platform with "algorithms" that promote those who already have a zillion followers. Not to mention that the viewer is not even allowed to see the images in the resolution they were uploaded. Made for phones = no thanks.

I'm sure some of you wonder why on earth I'm shooting medium format if I don't print. The reason is pretty simple, I've always been fascinated by flawless image quality and lens rendering, and I want me to be the only restriction. And it still makes quite a difference on a good, high rez screen. I wouldn't mind fewer pixels though, because I have no need for the actual size of the files. 😅

f6cvalkyrie

Well, also not much also ... I use a MF digital camera and some µ4/3 gear ... I share some pictures here, in the appropriate threads ... maybe like 10 photos a month ... further, I share on Facebook, on my personal page and in some groups when I participate in activities they organise (mostly photo walks)

I print very rarely, mostly out of house, for personal use ...

Every once in a while, I shoot a graduation album for family and friends ... those are presents, not sold ...

Actually, I never sold a print in more than 45 years of photography ...

Stay safe but have fun,
Rafael

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Friends, family, and ... medical professionals. That's where my prints seem to end up. It's weird going to a doctor's waiting room and seeing 9 of my prints hanging all around me. I have one print hanging in a hallway of the SDNY courthouse. I took a Fourth of July picture from its roof one year (hand-held, Leica Q).

The vast majority of my work consists of iPhone pictures of our cat, Soup, immediately messaged to the kids. Sometimes, Soup gets the Fuji X. If he's really lucky (and I'm really bored), the Leica S :ROFLMAO:.

Matt

pegelli

I do the same as Yogi Berra when he comes to a fork in the road, I just take them ;)

Most get shared on several fora. Some get printed and hang around the house.
I have plans to turn a few vacation and travel series into books for me and the family but that's it basically. So far I've only finished and printed one.

I've never sold any prints and when I do I would do so "at cost" for the print + frame. I am 100% certain I don't want to make any money on this hobby

KlausJH

High quality prints (whitewall.com), traveling books, calendars, the family yearbook (all major events in a month), flickr, some forums.

Many with an iPhone, Sony A7RII, a drone and preferably with a X1D which soon will be replaced by a 907x

Godfrey

Doing Photography operates on many levels for me.

• I get a lot of enjoyment out of learning, understanding, and working the equipment. Fascinating devices, interesting constraints, how to get what I see into an image is a fun balance between the equipment's limitations and the recording medium's capabilities. That alone is satisfying...
  • Over the years of my life, I've run three businesses that incorporated producing photos for others, either by contract or for sale freelance. I've been in a decent number of exhibitions, won a modicum of notice and awards, been published/featured several times. Always satisfying to have folks give you an accredited "Attaboy!", and it's been a means to hook up with an interesting community of other artists/photographers to share stories and photos with.
  • Now, retired from my career in tech and semi-retired from doing photography in any professional sense, I make photographs to use for cards, for gifts, and ultimately will make books to offer on Print On Demand ... Not for income, just for the joy of doing art and sharing it with others. The frenetic rush of new equipment upgrades means a lot less to me now, I'm content to use mostly what I have and only occasionally explore new equipment. I'm more interested in developing the ideas of my phographic oeuvre and seeing where it takes me notionally. Whether others appreciate it ... it still makes me happy when I get compliments, but I don't really seek them. Any input is interesting and fun to think about.

I like the notion of making photos with cameras as old as I am that are still fresh and interesting. And of pushing boundaries with the latest modern marvels too. And if they please other people as well, Life is good. :D

G

tcdeveau

Great idea for a thread.

Lately all I've been doing is filling up my hard drive thinking I'll do stuff with my work when I have time to kill. Juggling a family, work, and part-time school, I never seem to have time to kill, sooo it turns into me not doing much really :)

I started doing it for fun, then tried to make some money to feed my GAS. I tried to make a career out of it at some point, but only seemed to get work doing weddings/engagements/events etc, which I found wasn't my cup of tea. My personal interests are landscape, and I print (at labs) and have exhibited a few times, but never seem to be able to sell anything (even at cost) regardless of how many complements I got.

So that brings me back to doing photography just for fun and for my own enjoyment. I do enjoy working on an image here and there and posting it online, but as with others, interest generally is so low it's hardly worth posting (I do enjoy posting here though)....I think I'm done chasing "likes" at this point in my life.

Landscape stuff I hope to print more this year to put on my walls at home, and possibly find somewhere to do an exhibition or two in the next 2-3 years. I have 2-3 ongoing projects and it would be fun to see some large prints all together in one place sometime (esp prints from the IQ4 files). Have way too much going on in my life right now but that's one goal I have. We moved into a new house this past summer so I do have some wall space to fill, the challenge of course, is finding which images to fill that space. At some point I hope to travel again and do more travel landscape stuff, which is what I really enjoy, but there's no re-start in sight for that currently.

The vast majority of my current work the last few years consists of pictures of my family that I'm hoping to start printing and doing things with (again). When our first son was born, I did pretty good at making photo books periodically to distribute to family (especially family without social media), and would like to get back into that. Sometime during the pandemic I picked up a Leica M10M and took a whole series of pictures of my family of what life was like during these strange times that I intend to turn into a book at some point. As much I've come to despise the term "unprecedented" at the moment, the pandemic was a strange chapter of our lives and I wanted to document and show them what life was like. I've got about 3500 images that I need to parse through at some point, no idea when. Some images are pretty special - like the birth of our second son and the last time my wife nursed him - and others meaningless without context (like the photo of my iphone on speakerphone when I heard my second sons heartbeat from my house because I couldn't go to to the doctor with my wife) - that I hope my sons will appreciate some day.

rdeloe

The vast majority of my work consists of iPhone pictures of our cat, Soup, immediately messaged to the kids. Sometimes, Soup gets the Fuji X. If he's really lucky (and I'm really bored), the Leica S :ROFLMAO:.

Matt
I used to send "daily dog" pictures to my daughter after she moved away to go to school. My phone is overflowing with pictures of the dog in various snoozing positions!

tcdeveau

I used to send "daily dog" pictures to my daughter after she moved away to go to school. My phone is overflowing with pictures of the dog in various snoozing positions!
I've never counted, but I'm pretty sure my phone has more pictures of my pets on it than my kids haha. So many cat and dog pics.

Abstraction

I exhibit in galleries and I try to get featured in varioua art related publications. I post my images on various fora to gauge reactions and possibly get feedback. I have no dog or cat pictures.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Although I have done a lot of "professional" photography, I never made my living at it.

I had several successful one-man shows in the Toronto area in the 1980s but not since - too much work for a guy who had a full time job in financial services. I have sold extensively to various books, magazines and calendars and still do a little of that along with the occasional commission. I have published two books of landscape and nature shots. But my first love is printing and I sell matted and framed prints usually around 30-40 inches. I don't sell many - maybe eight or ten a year, all through word-of-mouth.

I learned that one looks at a print very differently when someone else is prepared to put down money for it - gives a great deal of satisfaction!

JeffK

Although I have done a lot of "professional" photography, I never made my living at it.

I had several successful one-man shows in the Toronto area in the 1980s but not since - too much work for a guy who had a full time job in financial services. I have sold extensively to various books, magazines and calendars and still do a little of that along with the occasional commission. I have published two books of landscape and nature shots. But my first love is printing and I sell matted and framed prints usually around 30-40 inches. I don't sell many - maybe eight or ten a year, all through word-of-mouth.

I learned that one looks at a print very differently when someone else is prepared to put down money for it - gives a great deal of satisfaction!
Amazing work you've posted on your website Bill. Kudo's!

Paratom

not enough either.
Since a lot of my photography is personl like family, vacation etc. I dont want to spread it over the internet anymore.
Sometimes I make prints, but I have a limited number of walls and prefer to not have only my on photography on my walls.
I am still motivated to have good image quality.
It is also kind of a diary for me, when we browse through older family and vacation images.