The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When to use matte paper??

MrNikon

Hello everyone,

Just curious, What kind of photographs do you think fitt well on matte paper??. I have both matte and gloss paper but use matt less and less.
Any opinions on when to use matte paper?? And why and when matte is the right choice??

Best regards
Mr. Nikon

dj may

If I make an inkjet print it is almost always matt. If I make a photographic print it is always glossy.

schuster

I have both matte and gloss paper but use matt less and less.
Why are you using matte paper "less and less?" If it's because the blackest blacks (D-max) are not as black as you'd like them, resulting in softer overall contrast? You could try spraying your matte print with Hahnemühle Protective Spray, PremierArt Print Shield or a similar coating. In addition to protecting the image, they slightly increase color saturation and D-max. Also, some matte papers have higher D-max results than others. With that in mind, probably a good general answer to your question would be: subjects that work well without the deepest blacks and high contrast often look great on matte paper.