The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Godfrey

Yes, the two that I played with in June seemed to start up in about two-three seconds. Let's at least say that the time wasn't noticably slow.

G

C_R

Thanks for the dpreview link. Maybe the reviewer had a later lens firmware (my XD1 firmware is the newest). Not clear how he measured startup time. I measured the time from switch on to focus-exposure, at the moment of the shutter action. BTW, as a workaround, I tried standby mode on the X1D and closed the rear monitor to save energy. Then, the time interval from activate-the-eye-sensor to focus -> shutter release is still 4 seconds… My loaner froze from time to time, my dealer said this was due to the early lens firmware. So we have to wait what happens after the next firmware updates.

Carsten
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38068178@N08/

D&A

Yes, the two that I played with in June seemed to start up in about two-three seconds. Let's at least say that the time wasn't noticably slow.

G
Thats strange since the demo unit I worked with in the late Fall, just received from Hasselblad a couple days earlier, had a power up time from turn on to ready to shoot of 15 seconds, with or without a lens attached and/or with or without an XD card inserted.

Speaking to a few others directly who tried a demo with the latest firmware, reported power ip times of 6-8 seconds...precisely what was expressed by Hasselblad when they released the latest firmware.

Guess we'll know soon enough with the production units.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Maybe not. The Google translation from Vietnamese says:

And he's previewing a demo camera that he was able to get his hands on. The camera is not "In Stock" as shown on that Web page. Sorry to disappoint. Still only a handful (or less) of sightings "in the wild" with real customers (not Ambassadors, reviewers or retailers).
Well Joe, that's one less place you can scratch off you list of considerations of moving to. LOL

I was a bit confused about the GPS info you quoted from Keven Raber. When he noted seeing GPS info in the metadata, was he referring to the Fuji GFX or Hassy X1D? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Ask him. :facesmack:
LOL. I just went to LuLa and the X1D thread and noticed someone asked him the exact same question. Keven responded in the thread about those plastic parts on either side of the hot shoe but may have overlooked the GPS question (although someone at the beginning of the thread mentioned he heard that GPS won't be available internally in the X1D). That wouldn't make much sense if one of those plastic covers was related to a GPS antenna.

On a separate note, I believe the AF point(s) in the X1D can either be selected via the touch screen or moving them around via one of the control wheels. That's another question I had (whether selectable via control wheel) since selecting Af points by any means weren't accessible in the demo unit I used.

Dave (D&A)

KeithL

LOL. I just went to LuLa and the X1D thread and noticed someone asked him the exact same question. Keven responded in the thread about those plastic parts on either side of the hot shoe but may have overlooked the GPS question (although someone at the beginning of the thread mentioned he heard that GPS won't be available internally in the X1D). That wouldn't make much sense if one of those plastic covers was related to a GPS antenna.

On a separate note, I believe the AF point(s) in the X1D can either be selected via the touch screen or moving them around via one of the control wheels. That's another question I had (whether selectable via control wheel) since selecting Af points by any means weren't accessible in the demo unit I used.

Dave (D&A)
I believe you have to use both control wheels to select AF point. One for up/down the other for left/right. Makes sense ;)

D&A

I believe you have to use both control wheels to select AF point. One for up/down the other for left/right.
Yes that does make sense as there is no touchpad on the rear of the camera. I personally find this preferable to using touchscreen when actively shooting as one can keep eye on viewfinder.

Dave (D&A)

wellfleet

Yes that does make sense as there is no touchpad on the rear of the camera. I personally find this preferable to using touchscreen when actively shooting as one can keep eye on viewfinder.

Dave (D&A)
Yes, AF point selection is either by touchscreen or by both control wheels. Ming Thein confirmed this awhile ago.

KeithL

Definitely.

Touch screen could be useful on a tripod but handheld in combination with the EVF doesn't make much sense.

I would need to test to see if the two control wheel approach would work.

I have a Demo unit for the weekend. Just confirmed, you can use the wheels to scroll around either at the same time or independently. I didn't even think about that to be honest, I was pulling my head away from the EVF. Thanks for pointing that out. If anyone has any specific questions, I will try to answer them. Here are a few shots. Including the requisite shots of my dog! :grin:

Attachments

D&A

Hi Josh,

My three questions are:

1. What firmware revision does the camera have?

2. What is the approx power up time (from turning on the camera till its ready to fire)?

3. How is the AF in terms of both speed and locking onto the subject in good light and also in low light. The earlier firmware body I tried was fairly fast in good light but had slight hesitation in locking onto the subject. Conversely in lower indoor light, it sometimes hunted and took a while to aquire focus lock-on. I suspect though that this may have been improved upon since then.
Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
HI RESPONSES IN BOLD, EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST ONE, BECAUSE I ALREADY TYPES IT BEFORE I THOUGHT TO DO THAT. :thumbup:

Hi Josh,

My three questions are:

1. What firmware revision does the camera have? 1.14.2

2. What is the approx power up time (from turning on the camera till its ready to fire)? About 5-7 seconds total. This seems to be sometimes affected by the SD card you have in the camera. And after just cycling it on and off with different cards several times... What's happening is that it takes approx approx 3-4 seconds for the camera to come on, then another couple/few seconds for the SD card to be recognized. My guess is that if the card has already been formatted, it will turn on faster. I walked around quite a bit with the camera on standby and it didn't seem to draw the battery much at all. So once you have it on, it shouldn't be an issue.

3. How is the AF in terms of both speed and locking onto the subject in good light and also in low light. The earlier firmware body I tried was fairly fast in good light but had slight hesitation in locking onto the subject. Conversely in lower indoor light, it sometimes hunted and took a while to aquire focus lock-on. I suspect though that this may have been improved upon since then.
Thanks.- IT SEEMS ACCURATE. IT POPS INTO FOCUS AND LOCKS ON. SOMETIMES IT HUNTS WHEN IT'S BLACK ON BLACK, BUT MOST CAMERAS WOULD. THE BENEFIT OF A MIRRORLESS AND EVF, IS THAT THE ZOOM IN TO 100% ALLOWS YOU TO GET ACCURATE FOCUS ON ANYTHING. ALTHOUGH I'D LOVE A 75% AND 50% OPTION TOO. THE OTHER THING THAT THE CAMERA DOES IS BRIGHTEN UP THE EXPOSURE FOR A SECOND WHEN IT USES AF. THIS GIVES IS MUCH MORE ACCURACY. IT'S STILL A MEDIUM FORMAT, SO IT'S NOT AS QUICK AS THE PANSONIC, ETC. BUT MY GUESS IS ALSO THAT THEY ARE STILL WORKING ON IT AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE IMPROVEMENTS. THE AF POINTS ARE SMALL ENOUGH THAT THEY GOT VERY CLOSE TO LOCKING ON THE EYES A LOT WITH THE AF. AS OPPOSED TO THE NOSE OR HAIR.

Dave (D&A)

My questions are:
Does GPS info show up in the RAW metadata? NOT SURE HOW TO FIND THIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL LOOK
How fast is the AF compared to other mirrorless cameras you've used? SEE ABOVE
How good is the EVF compared to other mirrorless cameras you've used (not the Leica SL which is 4.41MP and best-in-class)? NOT AS GOOD AS SL, OBVIOUSLY. BUT I DON'T REALLY HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS OTHER THAN THAT. IT'S LARGE AND VERY USEABLE. THE BIGGEST POSITIVE IS THAT THE EXPOSURE PREVIEW SEEMS TO BE SPOT ON TO WHAT I'M SEEING ON THE SCREEN WHEN I LOOK ON THE COMPUTER! I'VE HAD MANY ISSUES WITH THE EVF NOT MATCHING AT ALL. THE ONLY ISSUE WITHTE ZOOM INTO 100% IS THAT IT'S A LITTLE HARD OT KEEP THE CAMERA PERFECTLY STILL.

Is lossless compressed RAW a file option? NOT THAT I CAN SEE. THE RAW FIELS ARE HUUUUGE.

Thanks,

Joe

Godfrey

All sounds good to me, thanks Josh!
And fairly similar to the demo back in June, although I'm sure a lot more functionality is there now. :)

(A standard procedure for the SL that improves startup time and reduces inter-shot delay is to format the SD card you're going to use in the SD organizations SDFormatter software on your desktop system first. It produces a significant improvement on the SL and some other cameras I've tried it out with, might do the same for the X1D.)

G

D&A

Josh, Thanks ever so much for taking the time to do this. Obviously your camera has later firmware than mine and apparently made a considerable difference with regards to the AF. On my demo I could not zoom-in to focus. Agree, a 50 or 75% option would be helpful. I don't expect a MFD to have as quick an AF as a 35mm DSLR and neither does my Pentax 645z.

I do like what I am seeing with regards to the X1D AF points spread widely across the frame. This is something I miss and often need with the 646z.

The one thing I did also find as you had, was the close match of viewfinder exposure with the actual file and subsequently with what was shown on the rear touch screen...although when combined with a histogram, is the way to go.

As long as battery life is good, leaving camera on in use gets around the power up time. I was initially concerned as my demo unit ran down the battery fast. Seems thats also been greatly improved. The power up time I experienced of approx 15 seconds was regardless if a XD card was inserted into the camera or what type/fast a card it was or how it was formatted. Tried quite a few permutations and none made much of a difference in reducing this lengthy time. The Leica M240 power up time is also affected by type of card and formatting.

I'm sure others will chime in with useful questions/comments of their own. Thanks again for this info!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I am using camera raw via Adobe bridge. I should download Phocus, just haven't had time yet.
Josh, using camera raw in Adobe Bridge you will find the GPS metadata. If no GPS available in the X1D you are using, then there will be no GPS metadata present.

Dave (D&A).

ejpeiker

Open the Metadata panel in bridge, scroll down to GPS. If that's hidden just right click on a thumbnail and click on File Info. In the window that pops open there is a GPS tab. See if there's data in there.