The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wireless remote release for GFX100 II

cunim

I am confused about a wireless remote for the GFX. I see various models on Amazon that claim Fuji compatibility but hard to tell which model and how. I need:
  • Retain ability to mount my Profoto Air transmitter on the camera, so if the receiver interfaces via the hot shoe it needs to provide a repeater shoe
  • Wireless interface via the 2.5mm minijack would be fine instead of the hot shoe
  • Prefer not to tie up the USB C port which is used for tethering
Just need something simple - a trigger button is fine. Any suggestions?

Rand47

Well, I hate to tell you this, but as far as 2.5mm wired remote goes, you’re up a creek. And, while Fuji “had” brilliantly moved the remote release port to the right side of the camera body, they’ve now moved it back to the left side - to be trapped if you use an L-plate. AND, it is now 3.5mm, not 2.5mm. The port on the right side, is also 3.5mm but is now ONLY an external headphone port.

In this regard, my new GFX 100 II is vastly inferior to my original GFX 100.

My (very poor) solution for now is to use the XApp shutter release on my iPhone. Suboptimal, but at least works and has a shutter lock for when I’m doing BULB exposures for LE work.

Rand

pietgispen

I have been using for some years now the "Pixel TW-283 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Cable Wired Remote Control Compatible Compatible for Canon XT" with my GFX100, works flawlessy. It costs about US$40
Regards,
Piet Gispen
www.pietgispen.com

Rand47

I have been using for some years now the "Pixel TW-283 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Cable Wired Remote Control Compatible Compatible for Canon XT" with my GFX100, works flawlessy. It costs about US$40
Regards,
Piet Gispen
www.pietgispen.com
Does it come with a connection cord that is 3.5mm? The GFX 100 II has only 3.5mm port.

Rand

pietgispen

The receiver takes 3.5 mm itself, so any cable with two 3.5 mm jack plug should work. I am using a 2.5 mm plug for the GFX100 with 3.5 mm at the other end for the receiver. It works perfectly, even has a timer etc built in. Please see the attachment.

Success and regards,

Piet
www.pietgispen.com

Attachments

cunim

Thanks for all replies. As suggested above, it is simple. I just got a 2.5/3.5 mm adapter on Amazon and remotes work. Right now, I am using the very basic Aodelan pebble (Canon version), which has just has three functions (trigger, 2 sec delay, half press to autofocus). The receiver came with a 2.5 mm plug but the adapter takes care of that.

pebble.JPG

So my standard remote kit is the pebble, with (if I use flash) a Profoto air remote on the camera shoe. I'll bet I could use a second Air remote as transmitter and run a wire from the 3.5mm output of the shoe remote to the camera port - dispensing with the pebble. I won't do that because first, I can't find my second Air remote. Second, the Air remotes are much more expensive than the pebble and the Air battery charge drops like a gutshot duck. However, if I needed complex remote flash control combined with remote shutter release,, a second Air remote would be the way to go.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Peter..... does the Profoto Air Remote work on the 100 II? Can you see through the EVF when it is attached? Godox does't work and from what I have read neither does Profoto or Elinchrom. Lots of long threads about this and it seems Fuji is working on a solution.

Victor B.

cunim

Peter..... does the Profoto Air Remote work on the 100 II? Can you see through the EVF when it is attached? Godox does't work and from what I have read neither does Profoto or Elinchrom. Lots of long threads about this and it seems Fuji is working on a solution.

Victor B.
Victor, I have not made exhaustive tests but I have tried with both B2 and D4/2400 packs. My Air Remote is type PCA5102, an older model running at 2.4 GHz. GFX sync mode is M. I haven't tried TTL or any fancy stuff. Is that what doesn't work?
  • EVF works fine with Air remote attached to the shoe - either direct or via the adjustable holder - and there is no physical conflict between the Air remote in the shoe and your eye.
  • Air remote can be triggered via cable from the sync port on the front.

vjbelle

Appreciate your getting back to me about this. There is a long thread at DPReview in the medium format forum about all sorts of issues with flash and the 100 II. The issue is that the EVF goes blank when a remote is placed in the shoe. Godox for sure, some Profoto's and Elinchrom all have this issue. Of course, Fuji flash's work just fine.

Victor B.

cunim

I have had a number of EVF freezes (goes black), but that has nothing to do with flash remote. I always use the extender and I thought that might be a bit flakey, but that’s just speculation

flash remote works fine, but I have used it very little so maybe I just haven’t seen the problem yet