The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Schneider Kreuznach 120 f/5.6 APO Digitar ASPH

Paul Spinnler

SK lenses are just awesome. Compact, zero distortion, outstanding IC and very sharp, considering the last designs: 28 XL, 43 XL, 60 XL, 120 ASPH. All of these could be considered dream lense for architectural photography.

The 43 XL in particular is extraordinarily useful for architecture given the useful focal length combined with the very high sharpness and zero distortion.

diggles

Is it true? Since I saw some people complain about the image quality of this lens. But I would be glad if they share exactly the same optics.
I believe it is optically the same as the SCHNEIDER DIGITAR 28mm, but not the 28XL. Completely different lens.

4x5Australian

is this lens optically the same?
Schneider Kreuznach PC-TS APO-Digitar 120mm f5.6 HM ASPH Tilt Shift Lens
Yes, it is the same.

The Schneider technical brochure on the PC-TS lenses from May 2011 includes the cross-section, focal length (123.6mm) and image circle diameter (153mm), which match.

The full technical brochure was too large to upload, so here are snips of the first five pages.

SK PC-TS Apo-Digitar 120 HM ASPHERIC tech brochure page 1.JPGSK PC-TS Apo-Digitar 120 HM ASPHERIC tech brochure page 2.JPGSK PC-TS Apo-Digitar 120 HM ASPHERIC tech brochure page 3.JPGSK PC-TS Apo-Digitar 120 HM ASPHERIC tech brochure page 4.JPGSK PC-TS Apo-Digitar 120 HM ASPHERIC tech brochure page 5.JPG

Last edited:

diggles

this are the same lenses- as the name says.- the only differance is the mount: copal shutter or schneider tilf-shift body.
The brochure also states that the aperture is set manually. With the Mamiya to GFX adapter this could be a very fun lens. It could also be used with a Mamiya to WRS adapter.

Has anybody tried it? I'm wondering if the Kipon adapter would interfere with the image circle. It's also a big one, over 3 lbs.

alistairsimmons

So what’s the reason behind this? People think this lens is way too bulky?
It would be interesting to hear from someone who uses one. I have once or twice, and never found it a particularly enjoyable one to use (on the XF). Remember finding it tricky to nail infinity focus.

cuida1991

I did some homework, and I believe adapting the lens, especially those in phase one 645 lens, is theoretically possible. The flange distance of Leica-S mount is slightly shorter, which may make the whole thing a little trickier.

Steve Hendrix

So what’s the reason behind this? People think this lens is way too bulky?

I have shot this lens - at least in near focus situations and found it very sharp. So the complaints about sharpness seem strange to me. Perhaps at distance there is some compromise. I have some clients using it as well - but also in near focus modes (table top photography). It also is quite light weight, considering how large it is. We have one in our rental fleet and when time allows, perhaps I'll do a bit more testing. But of course, it is discontinued, so ... it does have to get in line behind other tests for products that are current.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul Spinnler

The 120 ASPH is magnificent and I am not sure many have one and can really comment on it. I have one in Alpa mount. It is sharp at infinity edge to edge with an achromatic 150 megapixel back. The 138 is a cut above, yes, but this is fantastic just beneath this. 100% zoom crop, scaling is off here on the forum and depending on the screen / browser settings, but I can tell you that on a pixel level it is SHARP.

It is very compact, has endless shift and is sharp with low distortion. It is a no-brainer as are all the other next gen SK lenses, incl. 28 XL, 43 XL, 60 XL...

The big version defeats a large part of its allure: the compactness vs performance ratio on a tech cam. The one sold on ebay unfortunately didn't have a helicoid so a bit of a different use case, ie Actus, F-metric, etc. rather than Alpa / Cambo, etc.

1673389864459.jpeg
1673390242976.jpeg

Below a strip of the whole scene; the first crop is a tiny rectangle from the left, the second one a 900 pixel wide crop from the right hand side.

1673390285618.jpeg

This lens pops up only every few years and I can only iterate that whenever you see a next-gen SK lens you should pick it up as prices only can go up over time given out of production status and excellence.

Last edited:

cuida1991

I have shot this lens - at least in near focus situations and found it very sharp. So the complaints about sharpness seem strange to me. Perhaps at distance there is some compromise. I have some clients using it as well - but also in near focus modes (table top photography). It also is quite light weight, considering how large it is. We have one in our rental fleet and when time allows, perhaps I'll do a bit more testing. But of course, it is discontinued, so ... it does have to get in line behind other tests for products that are current.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi Steve,
can you please test the performance of Schneider 120 asph in TS mount when focusing at infinity?

jng

The 120 ASPH is magnificent and I am not sure many have one and can really comment on it. I have one in Alpa mount. It is sharp at infinity edge to edge with an achromatic 150 megapixel back. The 138 is a cut above, yes, but this is fantastic just beneath this. 100% zoom crop, scaling is off here on the forum and depending on the screen / browser settings, but I can tell you that on a pixel level it is SHARP.

It is very compact, has endless shift and is sharp with low distortion. It is a no-brainer as are all the other next gen SK lenses, incl. 28 XL, 43 XL, 60 XL...

The big version defeats a large part of its allure: the compactness vs performance ratio on a tech cam. The one sold on ebay unfortunately didn't have a helicoid so a bit of a different use case, ie Actus, F-metric, etc. rather than Alpa / Cambo, etc.

View attachment 199943
View attachment 199944

Below a strip of the whole scene; the first crop is a tiny rectangle from the left, the second one a 900 pixel wide crop from the right hand side.

View attachment 199945

This lens pops up only every few years and I can only iterate that whenever you see a next-gen SK lens you should pick it up as prices only can go up over time given out of production status and excellence.
I can confirm that the SK 120 ASPH is indeed magnificent (mine in Cambo t/s mount). And also a bit of a unicorn so if you're interested in this lens, move quickly if you see one for sale. I will never part with mine, at least not willingly. 'nuff said.

John