The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-H2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I wonder what you would prefer - the newly announced X-H2 with 40MP or the X-H2S speed monster ....

Some videos showing the X-H2 here ....

biglouis

Hmmm. The dpreview review answers some interesting questions. For example, to get up to 20fps which is about what I would normally shoot at the camera applies a 1.29 crop, which reduces the file size to 24mpx. This is albeit only 2mpx smaller than the X-H2S but it begs the question why you would want to use the camera in this way rather than the X-H2S. Also, someone has to do some rolling shutter tests because so far I have seen non on the X-H2S.

What is much, much more interesting today is the announcement of the GF20-30. A 16-24 zoom is really, really interesting. The wide end is a range that has been sorely missing. I could be seduced into my third round of ownership of the GFX cameras.

Just my two cents

Louis

Knorp

How exactly do they compare to each other ... :unsure:
Well, it's obvious, no ?
It's not a case of the X-H2S being 'the video model' and the X-H2 being 'the stills model,' but more a case of the X-H2S being the high-speed option and the X-H2 being the high resolution one, as both appear similarly adept at stills and video.

Knorp

What is much, much more interesting today is the announcement of the GF20-30. A 16-24 zoom is really, really interesting. The wide end is a range that has been sorely missing. I could be seduced into my third round of ownership of the GFX cameras.
Oh stop it, Louis ... 🙃

biglouis

OK, ignore everything I said in my first comment. I've been looking at the jpegs at dpreview of the full sized files from the X-H2.

Is it me or are they awesome? I am very impressed. I am much more likely to leverage the value of the glass I already have and just add a body with the 40mpx sensor (be it the X-H2 or the X-T5) than I am to get the GFX50SII. I think maybe Fuji has just eaten its baby...

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/3916819862/fujifilm-x-h2-pre-production-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv

LouisB

JaapD

Sure, the X-H2 looks stunning. But with a pixel size of 3 microns diffraction already may become visible already at f/4,9 and limits extinction resolution at f/6,1. So there doesn’t seem to be much room to play with in case you’ll also need some depth of field, unless you’ll do focus stacking of course.

Is it going to be my next landscape camera? That remains to be seen....

Cheers,
Jaap.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
OK, ignore everything I said in my first comment. I've been looking at the jpegs at dpreview of the full sized files from the X-H2.

Is it me or are they awesome? I am very impressed. I am much more likely to leverage the value of the glass I already have and just add a body with the 40mpx sensor (be it the X-H2 or the X-T5) than I am to get the GFX50SII. I think maybe Fuji has just eaten its baby...

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/3916819862/fujifilm-x-h2-pre-production-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv

LouisB
Louis,

I could not agree more! I would anytime add the X-H2 to my arsenal before switching into MFD (aka Fuji or Hassi MFD). Sure with MFD you can get lot more resolution (who really needs / wants that) but you definitely also gain more weight, slower overall speed, less optimal handling and much higher prices for complete systems.

My ideal Fuji setup would be the X-H2, the new trinity of 1.4 lenses (18, 23, 33), the new 1.2 56 and a 8-16 zoom and the 150-600 zoom. maybe the new 18-120 if I really felt the need for video. And I would be done for maybe the next 6-10 years. Maybe adding the 40MP x-Pro4 when it arrives.

I would not care too much about any diffraction issues as I would use my lenses as wide open as possible ....

My 5 c

Peter

JaapD

Dynamic range of the X-H2 is incredibly good. At low ISOs the 40 Mpix back side illuminated sensor performs even better than the 26 Mpix stacked sensor from the X-H2s, as can been seen in the following graph.
Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting.png
Cheers,
Jaap.