The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T5 Loving it, but question

algrove

I am using a manual focus lens from TTArtisans, the 35 0.95 lens and find it performs as I expected. I set the Mount Adapter Setting to the lens I have set and entered in this area which is the last item under IQ Setting Menu on p4.

My specific question is can one use a zoom feature on the X-T5 where the camera zooms in when the focus ring is turned like on the current Leica M? I know there is a fixed zoom feature of 1.4 or 2x which is permanent and from what the manual indicates reduces your image correspondingly. This is called the Digital Tele-Conversion feature found under the Camera Setting menu at the Botton of p2.

Maybe a manual zoom feature is not possible. Comments kindly. Thanks.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If the lens has no electrical contact with the camera, then the camera doesn't know you're focusing and can't decide to zoom. Does the X-T5 support tapping the screen or depressing a control to zoom in? Magnified focusing is very important to me, and I've been uncertain where to go with my X-H1. All three possibilities (H2, H2S, T5) have advantages and disadvantages.

algrove

If the lens has no electrical contact with the camera, then the camera doesn't know you're focusing and can't decide to zoom. Does the X-T5 support tapping the screen or depressing a control to zoom in? Magnified focusing is very important to me, and I've been uncertain where to go with my X-H1. All three possibilities (H2, H2S, T5) have advantages and disadvantages.
Yes, Magnified focusing is done through the Digital Tele-Conversion, but it reduces image size.

algrove

Lou, you have to press the center of the rear command dial for focus check (default setting).
Bart
Thanks-it does zoom in this way. When I hit the center of rear command dial I get a double rectangular box inner green and outer gray, but it is confusing to know what it is showing me since it is in the lower right area of the EVF-not in the corner.

scho

Using the X-H2 in MF mode select the focus area with the focus stick and press the stick in to zoom press again to exit magnified view. Can also be used with peaking turned on.

Knorp

Bart
Thanks-it does zoom in this way. When I hit the center of rear command dial I get a double rectangular box inner green and outer gray, but it is confusing to know what it is showing me since it is in the lower right area of the EVF-not in the corner.
That's correct. That grey box shows you your total view and the green box shows you what section or focus area of that view has been magnified and at what size.
As Carl noticed you can move that green box to your subject that perhaps is not exactly in the middle of your view/composition.
While in magnification mode you can turn the rear command dial to zoom in or out. You'll notice that the green box changes size accordingly.

Last edited:

algrove

That Viltrox AF 75mm might be interesting, but it is a long FF FL at about 112mm. It is interesting that Viltrox has come up with an AF lens.