The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D 100C Firmware Update (2.0.0)

Ai_Print

Anyone notice a bit more lag when going from the rear LCD screen to the EVF? Mine seems to hesitate a bit.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Anyone notice a bit more lag when going from the rear LCD screen to the EVF? Mine seems to hesitate a bit.
Perhaps they decreased the sensitivity of the EVF's eye-detector. I was always blanking out the LCD by random finger movements and wished that I could turn that sensitivity down.

Steve Hendrix

Perhaps they decreased the sensitivity of the EVF's eye-detector. I was always blanking out the LCD by random finger movements and wished that I could turn that sensitivity down.

I feel like I noticed a change in recognition as well. Might need to play with the sensitivity slider to get back to a happy medium.

Steve Hendrix/CI

mristuccia

- I only tested this on one image, but the edits made in Phocus 3.7.3 including keystone correction came through just fine when exported as a 16 bit tiff.
Now, that's interesting.
If it works for you, then either they fixed it and published an updated 3.7.3 binary or it happens only on my specific Desktop Mac.
Now I'm abroad and have a MBP with me. I'll give the new version a try again.

Thanks for testing.

Marco

Reactions: jng

mristuccia

Now, that's interesting.
If it works for you, then either they fixed it and published an updated 3.7.3 binary or it happens only on my specific Desktop Mac.
Now I'm abroad and have a MBP with me. I'll give the new version a try again.

Thanks for testing.

Marco
Confirmed as an issue.
Still not working on my MBP 13' Intel 2017.
Specifically, I applied a vertical perspective correction of 40 and a bit of saturation. Only the saturation is present in the exported (TIFF-16) file.
Maybe it is an Intel-only issue.

Marco

jng

Confirmed as an issue.
Still not working on my MBP 13' Intel 2017.
Maybe it is an Intel-only issue.

Marco
Perhaps. I am running the M1 chip. What OS are you on? The spec sheet states that OS10.15 or higher is required.

MGrayson

That is correct. You can prove that to yourself by changing the white balance and watching the histogram change.
I keep looking for the RAW white balance setting.... :LOL:
It's hard enough to keep the white balance from changing to manual after every connection. :confused: I know it's a "feature", but it would be a nice one to be able to turn off - even if one always sets WB in post, it's annoying.

JimKasson

I keep looking for the RAW white balance setting....
You can approximate it by setting the color temperature to 2500 and making the tint all the way green (-100) .

MGrayson

You can approximate it by setting the color temperature to 2500 and making the tint all the way green (-100) .

Thank you for that! I confess to exposure laziness - if I'm worried, I underexpose a stop - but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate "best practices", and you can usually be counted on to provide them.

JimKasson

Thank you for that! I confess to exposure laziness - if I'm worried, I underexpose a stop - but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate "best practices", and you can usually be counted on to provide them.
Thanks. The nice thing about the way the X2D handles WB is that it's easy to switch back and forth between the various modes, so you don't have to look at a green EVF image all the time. Just invoke manual WB when you want to use UniWB, and then switch it back to, say, auto. However, if you want to look at the three-channel histogram, with the X2D you can't do that in live view, so you'll have to leave the WB on manual, suffer the green finder image, and look at the color histogram when you review the green-looking capture.

hcubell

That is correct. You can prove that to yourself by changing the white balance and watching the histogram change.
I guess the IQ150 is the only digital capture device that outputs a raw data histogram. That seems surprising. I wonder if it's a way for camera manufacturers to save photographers from themselves by biasing the camera toward underexposure.

JimKasson

I wonder if it's a way for camera manufacturers to save photographers from themselves by biasing the camera toward underexposure.
For some subjects, like flowers, you can get overexposure from believing that the live histograms apply to raw data. But I think the main reasons are JPEG-centric thinking, and not wanting to have to add another image pipeline to the EVF processing. But I'm with you in that I'd love to see a multi-channel live raw histogram.

MGrayson

The feature I've been waiting for, focus peaking, has made MF with adapted lenses a reality. Soup deigned to be photographed to illustrate the point. This is the X2D with a Mamiya 645 105-210mm zoom set at 150mm and wide open (f/4.5), 1/70 sec, ISO 6400. Hmmm.. the jpeg has that slight magenta cast not visible in the fff... Sometimes happens at high ISO.

He moved down to my apartment two days ago, and he's still getting used to the place. It's impossible to get him to relax!.

Last edited:

doccdiamond

I guess the IQ150 is the only digital capture device that outputs a raw data histogram. That seems surprising. I wonder if it's a way for camera manufacturers to save photographers from themselves by biasing the camera toward underexposure.
If I am right the first Leica M Monochrom (M9 based, CCD) had a Raw-histogram as well…

buildbot

For some subjects, like flowers, you can get overexposure from believing that the live histograms apply to raw data. But I think the main reasons are JPEG-centric thinking, and not wanting to have to add another image pipeline to the EVF processing. But I'm with you in that I'd love to see a multi-channel live raw histogram.
I actually don’t understand how a JPG histogram is less work - the raw is being read off of the sensor by something, and adding a step to histogram the values between 0 to 2^n-1 bits seems less mathematically challenging than running the JPEG algorithm and then doing the same thing (maybe at a lower resolution), but still. The the EVF/display basically take raw data anyway at a lower res, not JPEG data. So why not histogram it in that domain?