The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D + new lenses: first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

onasj

I received my X2D and 55/2.5 and 38/2.5 lenses (release versions, not early evaluation copies). Here are some quick takes:

- The X2D is a beautiful and very ergonomic design. Highly functional minimalism. No wasted buttons or dials, though I wish the strap lugs were less protruding since I don't use a strap in most cases.

- I like the new top display, which I also found very functional on the Phase One XF.

- The camera is much, much faster to start up—almost to current 35 mm pro digital standards :)

- The in-body image stabilization works very well. In my opinion, at least as well as Sony's IS on their flagship cameras (a1, a7r4, etc).

- The new (old) 102-MP sensor is terrific, as expected.

- Frame rate in 16-bit drops noticeably, but not in a way that makes me avoid it. Maybe 2.X fps instead of 3.3 fps.

- The new lenses are very sharp, even in the corners, have minimal chromatic aberration, and nice bokeh.

- The AF on the new lenses is indeed much, much faster than previous X lenses. Again, almost (but not quite) as fast as current 35-mm pro digital standards.

- In light of the above major achievements, and the fact that the new lenses are so small in both diameter and lens, and with such a large (for medium format) aperture, they are in my opinion a real triumph of modern lens design. Magic.

- The new manual focus assist designator is terrific. It's a white circle with a pointer that tells you which way to focus the lens to get the target in focus. When it's in focus, it turns green. You can move this manual focus point with the touchscreen just as you can move the AF point, though you have to change settings from default to enable the AF/MF target point to move.

- You can turn the focusing mode to MF and then use the AF-D button on the back to trigger autofocus, while preserving your ability to manually focus by rotating. That's a nice way of deactivating AF-on-half-shutter-press, which is essential for many photographers.

- The X2D is currently limited by underdeveloped firmware in some major ways:
1) No compatibility with Phocus 2 Mobile
2) No AutoISO option in M mode (yes, I realize this is common to other Hasselblad X bodies but come on, let your customers have the CHOICE of how to use our $8,000 professional cameras!)
3) No AF-C (continuous autofocus) mode, so that much faster AF still isn't suitable to capture even slowly moving subjects
4) No eye-detect or face-detect focus yet

Some of the above limitations Hasselblad has stated are being addressed in future firmware updates. Let's hope they go 4/4 :)

Overall, it's clearly a better camera than the X1D, a more pleasurable to use especially with the new lenses. Until the firmware limitations are fixed, I'm not sure the X2D plus new lenses enables you to use the camera in any conditions under which the X1Dm2 or CFV-ii-50c wouldn't be suitable, but if Hasselblad addresses some or all of these limitations, I think the X2D + new lenses could be suitable for some mild action or moving street scenes for which the X1D or CFV would struggle. Still, if you are shooting sports, stage with action, wild animals, etc. it would be a stretch to say this is the camera you should use.

But it's very pretty, and probably very good at studio, portraiture, landscape, and static street/stage shooting.

nameBrandon

Would love to see all addressed myself. I’d add to the list..

- Live Histogram
- Live over exposure warning.

Those should be pretty easy to implement IMO, and would be very powerful. But then again, Auto ISO would be as well and they’ve never implemented it after all this time with the X1D / II or 907x.

tcdeveau

Was hoping to see some more negative points in there to give my case of GAS a cold shower but it's looking like HB's got a winner here....and the fact that they are shipping to end users without a huge wait is also impressive!

peterm1

One observation on back button AF - as you noted, if you set focus to manual in the camera using the back screen, you can use back button AF and disengage the shutter button from AF, which is sometimes how I like to shoot. If you move the focus clutch of the new lenses forward to engage manual mode, on the other hand, back button AF won't work, so I am sticking with using the screen functionality to set focus to manual and leaving the lens focus clutch to AF. This may be obvious to some people but I thought worth noting.

BTW I love my X2D!

SrMphoto

Thank you for writing about your first impression, and I agree with them (have X2D with a 55V lens). The new lenses are terrific, aesthetically and functionally. With the lens control ring, you can adjust ISO, shutter speed, and aperture directly with dials.
Since the camera produces 16-bit files regardless of selected bit-depth, I will leave it always on 16-bit, except when shooting with the electronic shutter. I do not believe there is any IQ benefit of shooting in 16 bits, but just in case ;-).
The focus indicator does not work with non-native lenses. Zoom is currently the only assist option for adapted lenses, but Hasselblad indicated that they would add focus peaking in the next firmware update. I prefer the focus indicator to focus peaking.
I have not heard anything about Auto-ISO in M mode or live histogram being added; frankly, I do not expect them to be added :(.

msadat

just got my camera, upgrading from x1d v1, seems much faster but missing a lot of functionality. for me, AFC and face detection are very important. the xpan masks are not there either. and why no GPS!!

SrMphoto

just got my camera, upgrading from x1d v1, seems much faster but missing a lot of functionality. for me, AFC and face detection are very important. the xpan masks are not there either. and why no GPS!!
IIRC, X1D did not have AF-C or face detection either.
We expect the following from a firmware update next year: crop modes, AF-C, tracking, and focus bracketing.

Photon42

I just want to through in my two cents here. Got the X2D since last Friday, so limited experience, really.

As to focus speed: I do not own any of the new lenses by now, but tried the 55 in the store and it was not noticeably faster than my 2.8/65. The HC100 and 210 work as expected. I also tried the HC100 with the converter and AF as well as IBIS do work. I can see speed improvements with my HC100, the 30 and 65, but not really with 4/45 (which I did use in manual focussing mode most of the time).

Phocus 3.7 for Mac works seamlessly, but unfortunately Phocus Mobile 2 does not, contrary to what is written in the user manual. Hasselblad service says they are working on it but to ETA (I would say the same thing, honestly ...)

XQD readers from some years back clearly do not read the CFExpress cards. If the camera connects to an iPad or Computer, it requests the type of connection (Mass Storage or Tethered mode). In case of Mass Storage mode, both the internal SSD as well as the CFExpress are mounted. I would love to have a setting for the internal SSD to work like a FIFO (First in, First out), so the oldest photos automatically get deleted. Because then, it would be the perfect backup solution.

The new focus indicator is a challenge for me, as have no complete control over what in the circle is actually taken. The Cross appears once something is found and then of course the +- indicator works and the while thing turns green. However: When comparing with the loupe, the latter shows me much better what I am actually focussing on. For those who try it: maybe double check. The whole process of setting the focus box with the touch screen is much more fluid.

I only so far tried 14bit, but the color is wonderful, just like the X1D2.

What I found interesting that somehow if you look at the bottom plates in comparison, the X2D is definitely something like 30% thicker. However, in hand and looking from the top, that somehow disappears. Obviously great design.

The top display is great and very readable, but I don't actually use it a lot.

You can check the battery status with a short press on the power button, if the camera is switched off. Information gets displayed then on the top deck.

Startup time is at least 2x faster than the X1D2, maybe a little better even. Generally, I am really surprised about the response time of the camera. Everything is very fast and often almost instant (not the AF). Zooming in, checking focus on a 100MP image - very quick.

The strap lugs are seemingly identical to the ones from the older 500 series cameras and old Hasselblad straps can be connected. An interesting legacy inspired change. No real need for Peak Design anchors here!

msadat

IIRC, X1D did not have AF-C or face detection either.
We expect the following from a firmware update next year: crop modes, AF-C, tracking, and focus bracketing.

your comparing the x1d of 2016, we are now 2023 (almost), this is not a finished product

SrMphoto

The main benefit of shooting in 14-bit mode is faster readout, as both 14 and 16-bit modes produce 16-bit files. Therefore, I will always use the 16-bit mode unless I need to use the electronic shutter.

Photon42

You should not have bought something where you miss a lot of functionality :eek::cool:

I am not the product manager but I would think they wanted to finally get something out. I am almost certain they are already horribly late to their own timelines. Adding functionality in firmware is - thanks to Fuji among others - not an alien concept anymore. Looking at the thing in front of me, I can't say it is unfinished. The one thing they actually sold as a feature and isn't there yet is the Phocus Mobile 2 integration (it is stated in the owner's manual). And that will certainly come.

Why no GPS? I guess it is energy hungry and does not like metal. Maybe we we see a bluetooth phone variant (like with the Z7), but honestly, I am not holding my breath. Face detection and AFC would be nice, of course, but I haven't had it on the old one and got along with it. I knew it won't be there when I bought the camera.

msadat

You should not have bought something where you miss a lot of functionality :eek::cool:

I am not the product manager but I would think they wanted to finally get something out. I am almost certain they are already horribly late to their own timelines. Adding functionality in firmware is - thanks to Fuji among others - not an alien concept anymore. Looking at the thing in front of me, I can't say it is unfinished. The one thing they actually sold as a feature and isn't there yet is the Phocus Mobile 2 integration (it is stated in the owner's manual). And that will certainly come.

Why no GPS? I guess it is energy hungry and does not like metal. Maybe we we see a bluetooth phone variant (like with the Z7), but honestly, I am not holding my breath. Face detection and AFC would be nice, of course, but I haven't had it on the old one and got along with it. I knew it won't be there when I bought the camera.
agreed, but i had sold both of my x1d and needed a new camera, the problem with Bluetooth GPS for me is no signals on most of my hikes

tcdeveau

Personally I’m glad to see it shipping now with a few missing features that can be added later via firmware update vs their previous releases which took months or longer to ship after announcement. I primarily use the X1D on a tripod so I wouldn’t benefit from some of the missing-but-coming-in-the-future features anyway.

Previously they did a great job with X1D firmware updates over time and im sure that will continue with the X2D.

doccdiamond

I received my X2D and 55/2.5 and 38/2.5 lenses (release versions, not early evaluation copies). Here are some quick takes:

- The X2D is a beautiful and very ergonomic design. Highly functional minimalism. No wasted buttons or dials, though I wish the strap lugs were less protruding since I don't use a strap in most cases.

- I like the new top display, which I also found very functional on the Phase One XF.

- The camera is much, much faster to start up—almost to current 35 mm pro digital standards :)

- The in-body image stabilization works very well. In my opinion, at least as well as Sony's IS on their flagship cameras (a1, a7r4, etc).

- Frame rate in 16-bit drops noticeably, but not in a way that makes me avoid it. Maybe 2.X fps instead of 3.3 fps.

- The new lenses are very sharp, even in the corners, have minimal chromatic aberration, and nice bokeh.

- The AF on the new lenses is indeed much, much faster than previous X lenses. Again, almost (but not quite) as fast as current 35-mm pro digital standards.

- In light of the above major achievements, and the fact that the new lenses are so small in both diameter and lens, and with such a large (for medium format) aperture, they are in my opinion a real triumph of modern lens design. Magic.

- The new manual focus assist designator is terrific. It's a white circle with a pointer that tells you which way to focus the lens to get the target in focus. When it's in focus, it turns green. You can move this manual focus point with the touchscreen just as you can move the AF point, though you have to change settings from default to enable the AF/MF target point to move.

- You can turn the focusing mode to MF and then use the AF-D button on the back to trigger autofocus, while preserving your ability to manually focus by rotating. That's a nice way of deactivating AF-on-half-shutter-press, which is essential for many photographers.

2) No AutoISO option in M mode (yes, I realize this is common to other Hasselblad X bodies but come on, let your customers have the CHOICE of how to use our $8,000 professional cameras!)
3) No AF-C (continuous autofocus) mode, so that much faster AF still isn't suitable to capture even slowly moving subjects

Some of the above limitations Hasselblad has stated are being addressed in future firmware updates. Let's hope they go 4/4 :)

Overall, it's clearly a better camera than the X1D, a more pleasurable to use especially with the new lenses. Until the firmware limitations are fixed, I'm not sure the X2D plus new lenses enables you to use the camera in any conditions under which the X1Dm2 or CFV-ii-50c wouldn't be suitable, but if Hasselblad addresses some or all of these limitations, I think the X2D + new lenses could be suitable for some mild action or moving street scenes for which the X1D or CFV would struggle. Still, if you are shooting sports, stage with action, wild animals, etc. it would be a stretch to say this is the camera you should use.

But it's very pretty, and probably very good at studio, portraiture, landscape, and static street/stage shooting.
I had a chance for a short test with the new 38mm on the X2D as well. IBIS works great, AF much better than the previous versions, nevertheless still not on Nikon/Sony level (have no experience with the GFX system) and sometimes under not perfect light off.
Excellent ergonomics and handling - very cool! But spoiled from my tech cam lenses corner sharpness is not comparable and shows some "weakness" on the 100MP sensor (the 21mm even more). Central area ist fantastic, but not in the corners (or field curvature?). Might be a compromise for the very compact size. CA is excellent (no CA...). Just my very quick findings...

SrMphoto

agreed, but i had sold both of my x1d and needed a new camera, the problem with Bluetooth GPS for me is no signals on most of my hikes
Most smartphones contain a GPS chip that can work in conjunction with cellphone towers and WiFi but does not require it.

jduncan

Hi, I hope you enjoy your new camera a lot and for a long time. Is there a way to trigger the camera? I notice that the remote no longer works and I will hate to use the cell phone (best way ever to loss it or drop it) but I am reading that Phocus Mobile does not work, so it seems that it's a camera without any way to trigger it on command without touching the camera directly (for long exposures). I hope I am wrong and there is a way to trigger it. Lack of GPS is a bummer and totally unnecessary (they could have supported the X1D gps module) .

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.