The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

rdeloe

On a graph that had cost of lens on the Y-axis and performance of lens on the X-axis, the bottom-right quadrant would have low cost but high performance – in other words, lenses that offer lots of “bang for the buck”.

Many people on this forum have lenses from the top-right corner of my graph: high cost, and high performance. Those are well known and discussed frequently here. I thought it might be fun to share examples of low cost but high performance lenses you use for medium format photography, especially those that allow movements. Many people can’t afford the high cost, high performance lenses – but still want to get into this kind of photography. This thread can be a place to identify some economical but good choices.

"Low cost" and "high performance" are of course relative. Low cost for one person is high cost for another, and we all have different expectations regarding performance. I will draw on my non-existent authority as the OP and suggest that low cost is less than $500 USD or EUR, and high performance means you can use it to do serious work with your medium format equipment.

I’ll start this off with a nice example I’ve had for a couple years, but not used nearly enough. It's come out with me more lately as I've started exploring the XPan aspect ratio (65:24).

The Fujinon EX 105mm f/5.6 is an enlarger lens. It was the top of the line when Fuji sold enlarger lenses. I bought mine for a bit under $300 CAD, including shipping from Japan, a couple years ago. To put that in perspective, today, $300 CAD is barely enough to buy a low capacity CFexpress Type B card like the one used in the Hasselblad CFV 100C. It's enough for a good quality polarizing filter, but not two.

The lens is very small and weighs only 110 grams. It was designed to enlarge 6x9 film, so the image circle is quite large. One distinguishing feature of the Fujinon EX lenses is their elements are multi-coated, which is not common among enlarger lenses. The native mount is 39mm x 1/26th inch (often referred to as “Leica Thread Mount”). I added an adapter to take it to M42x1, and use it on an M42x1 to Mamiya 645 adapter. Of course, there are many other ways to mount this kind of lens.

I can hear the sniffing and eyebrow raising already. 😉 How could an enlarger lens possibly be any good? Well… let’s let some pictures make the case. These are all made with a Fuji GFX 100S on my Arca-Swiss F-Universalis, using the Fujinon EX 105mm f/5.6.

This is the front entrance to the Church of Our Lady in Guelph, Ontario. The important thing to note here is that this is 27.5mm of rise on a GFX sensor. I had to use f/16 to get the very top in reasonable shape, which lost me some detail. However, this was a grab shot on the way back to the car. With more care to focus and alignment, the f/11 version should have been fine everywhere.

R. de Loe GFXB3152.jpg

Like repro lenses, good enlarger lenses have a nice flat field and low distortion. This little Fujinon is no exception. There's a parking garage in Guelph that provides a very nice test scene for exploring distortion behaviour. This example image looks quite promising as an uncorrected single frame. Except, this is actually a mosaic made by stitching together nine images made with shifts that covered 25mm left and right and 20mm up and down. This is straight from the camera after constraining the crop; I made no corrections for distortion or light falloff. Image quality in the extreme corners in this huge mosaic is not good enough, and light falloff is starting to darken the corners. This is more shift than the lens can handle at f/9; if this was "for real" I'd have to use f/13 or f/16. However, it's important to note that this is also the maximum shift my F-Universalis is designed to handle. I have never needed to make an image like this, and doubt I ever will.

R. de Loe GFXB3158-Pano.jpg

Enlarger lenses are usually passed over as taking lenses for general photography because, the story goes, they're no good at infinity. I've used a lot of different enlarger lenses and compared their infinity performance to taking lenses with the same focal length. It's fair to say that enlarger lenses are weakest at long distances. But their slightly reduced infinity performance may not be photographically significant. This scene is another location I use when I'm evaluating how a new lens does. The focus is middle distance, and I used 25mm of left and right shift to create this flat-stitched panorama.

R. de Loe GFXB3148-Pano.jpg

At 100%, not too shabby for an enlarger lens... If you're used to the quality you get from your Rodenstock HR Diagaron-SW 138mm f/6.5, you might wrinkle your nose at these results. But remember, that 138mm costs 60 times what I paid for my little Fujinon. In a bang for the buck contest, the Fujinon wins. ;)

100% from pano.jpg

I have lenses that are sharper than my Fujinon EX 105mm f/5.6, but not at this focal length, and not in this size. At 110 grams, I can leave this 105mm EX lens in my pack and forget it's there until I need something that has a huge, good quality image circle that allows me to make enormously detailed panoramas, or shift as much as is physically possible on my F-Universalis.

As a final note on bang for the buck, the EX 105mm is part of a series of EX lenses. I used to own (and stupidly sold) the 75mm EX lens, and it might even be a bit sharper. I never owned the 90mm EX because I like my Schneider-Kreuznach APO Componon HM 90mm f/4.5, but I've read reports that suggests the 90mm might be the best of the bunch.

What's your favourite bang for the buck lens?

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My biggest surprise value is the Mamiya 645 300/5.6 ULD. It's small, light, sharp, and about $100.
X2D - Tight crop.

Closer to full X2D frame.

The Mamiya 645 120/4 Macro is in the $300 range, but it's a full 1:1 medium format macro. This is the surface of a latte 1:1, very tight crop...

The Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO is stunning, but at $750 and up, it's not cheap. Click through on these examples to see the detail.

The good Zeiss lenses are cheaper than their modern counterparts, but now you're talking over a thousand and much higher for the Superachromats. I still think the 110/2 is a bargain, as it has a beautiful and unique look, AND has all the detail wide open (lower contrast, but not soft).

If you want an imposing piece of glass, the Pentax 67 400/4 (NOT the ED/IF version) is between one and two hundred dollars. It has a lot of CA wide open. The ED/IF is one to two thousand dollars, much heavier, and much better.

More when I think of them...

Matt

Last edited:

daz7

Sinaron Digital 105mm f4 which is, I believe, exactly same lens as Apo Rodagon N 105mm.
That lens is bees knees for small magnification ratio shots (1:2-1:5) or reproduction.
You can find Sinarons 105mm for about 200 usd while Apo Rodagons N sell for ten or fifteen times as much.
The only drawback is that Sinar version comes in their DB mount, so you can only use them on Sinar cameras with their Auto-aperture shutter, Sinarcams or Sinar M camera with aperture controlling device (super rare but I am lucky enough to have it) while Apo Rodagons N are in enlarger aperture mounts.

Best bang for the buck, for me, is currently the used Hassy xcd 45, original. With the advent of the 45p and 38v, they are widely available, for under 1k, excellent / low shutter count copies - delivering spectacular IQ on 100MP. I will never hesitate to use the original 45 xcd along my 30 and 65 - while the 38 was a more versatile FL, from an IQ perpective it didn’t bring much else to the table.
In the GF world, the 30 TS is delivering amazing / better IQ :p than all Rodenstocks in the range, at a much more pallatable (very high, of course :LOL: ) price point!

sj2w1

For the cheap side, I like my Helios 44-2. Picked it up for $25 a while back and have used it in a couple editorial fashion gigs.
Used H series glass is hard to beat now that they can be had at a bargain.

anyone

That's a difficult question to narrow down to one lens. I'd award this to a whole system: Pentax 645. In my opinion, these lenses are absolutely undervalued, all are (to my taste, opinions may vary) really sharp across the frame at "landscape apertures" of f8 - f11.
Pentax 645 A 35mm: go-to wideangle lens for landscape.
Pentax 645 A 75mm: tiny, lightweight, pleasing colors and bokeh wide open.
Pentax 645 A 120mm macro: fantastic macro lens.
Pentax 645 A 150mm: small, lightweight tele option.

All of them can be shifted on the GFX100s, and while the image quality somewhat suffers, the results are for me really usable. Even though I love my Hasselblad V glass, I found myself taking the Pentax 645 lenses more often due to their lighter weight without the shutter.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That's a difficult question to narrow down to one lens. I'd award this to a whole system: Pentax 645. In my opinion, these lenses are absolutely undervalued, all are (to my taste, opinions may vary) really sharp across the frame at "landscape apertures" of f8 - f11.

All of them can be shifted on the GFX100s, and while the image quality somewhat suffers, the results are for me really usable. Even though I love my Hasselblad V glass, I found myself taking the Pentax 645 lenses more often due to their lighter weight without the shutter.
Totally agree on the Pentax 645 optics. I still have the Macro. I just never got the adapter for any of my current cameras.

FloatingLens

Maybe a sleeper in this regard in the Carl Zeiss world is the F(E) Planar T* 2,8/80 at around 440g.

Ben730

Sigma Art 40/1.4 on GFX 100s
This lens is extremely sharp across the entire image, almost no CA, even from f/1.4!
It plays in a different league to the Sigma 50 + 35 Art.
Of course it vignettes on a medium format camera, but for photos with a wide open aperture I don't find this disturbing.
If necessary, an LCC removes the vignette.

A 40 mm with f/1.4 aperture gives a wonderful look in medium format. The cat's eye-shaped dots in the bokeh become round from f/2.2.
This lens is also excellent for video, flare is great and it has a real focusing ring, not an electronic one like the Fujis.

The only problem is that it is really heavy!

Photon42

On the M: Voigtländer APO 2/50, On the XCD system: 3.2/90 - inexpensive on the secondary market and produces wonderful images and on Nikon (Z and F) I still think the 1.4/58 is inexpensive pre-owned and produces great photos.

rdeloe

I've always thought of Pentax as the "Honda" of cameras and lenses. They're high quality, reasonably priced, reliable, not fussy and they just work. I've used all of the ones you list and they're all terrific.

rdeloe

Sinaron Digital 105mm f4 which is, I believe, exactly same lens as Apo Rodagon N 105mm.
That lens is bees knees for small magnification ratio shots (1:2-1:5) or reproduction.
You can find Sinarons 105mm for about 200 usd while Apo Rodagons N sell for ten or fifteen times as much.
The only drawback is that Sinar version comes in their DB mount, so you can only use them on Sinar cameras with their Auto-aperture shutter, Sinarcams or Sinar M camera with aperture controlling device (super rare but I am lucky enough to have it) while Apo Rodagons N are in enlarger aperture mounts.
Whoa! Those APO Rodagon N 105mm f/4 lenses are extremely expensive. Even the ones pulled out of line scanning setups in Asian factories are selling for close to $3,000 USD. Wow. I'm glad you could get your Sinaron working. I wonder if there's a housing out there that would work for the lens cells. With Schneider-Kreuznach I was able to do a lot of swapping among housings.

rdeloe

Best bang for the buck, for me, is currently the used Hassy xcd 45, original. With the advent of the 45p and 38v, they are widely available, for under 1k, excellent / low shutter count copies - delivering spectacular IQ on 100MP. I will never hesitate to use the original 45 xcd along my 30 and 65 - while the 38 was a more versatile FL, from an IQ perpective it didn’t bring much else to the table.
In the GF world, the 30 TS is delivering amazing / better IQ :p than all Rodenstocks in the range, at a much more pallatable (very high, of course :LOL: ) price point!
The GF 30mm T-S is massive bang for the buck in that price range. It's not in my el-cheapo < 500 USD or EUR range, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

rdeloe

Sigma Art 40/1.4 on GFX 100s
This lens is extremely sharp across the entire image, almost no CA, even from f/1.4!
It plays in a different league to the Sigma 50 + 35 Art.
Of course it vignettes on a medium format camera, but for photos with a wide open aperture I don't find this disturbing.
If necessary, an LCC removes the vignette.

A 40 mm with f/1.4 aperture gives a wonderful look in medium format. The cat's eye-shaped dots in the bokeh become round from f/2.2.
This lens is also excellent for video, flare is great and it has a real focusing ring, not an electronic one like the Fujis.

The only problem is that it is really heavy!
I've never tried lenses meant for full frame on a GFX, except for some shift lenses. I've always been after a large image circle that allows movements, so options like your Sigma didn't make it on my camera. I'm glad it works for you. Sometimes the vignetting is mechanical and can't be corrected with an LCC, but it sounds like it's just strong light falloff in this case.