The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summilux 50mm focus shift issue

C

Catatac

Hi all

I am new to this forum and sadly I have this issue with my Lux 50 ASPH which I need help ! I bought a new M8 and Lux 50 ASPH several months ago. Back then, the Lux was working fine but over the weekend I suddenly noticed that it had back focus / focus shift issues. This is at stops from 1.4 to 5.6. My Zeiss lense works fine but the Lux seems to have gone all soft on me. I locked the lense bayonet wise fine and stops are secure when I did my shots.

I would really appreciate any advice !

Cheers

C

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't sound right to me... Can you post some shots showing the amount of focus shift?

C

Catatac

Here is an example

Thanks for replying.

I focused on this person's nose but you can see that area is soft while his ears and shirt are sharply in focus

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so the lens backfocused in that example, but remains sharp where it does focus. So at least we know the lens is good. :)))

Next thing is to confirm that lens back-focuses consitently. Try making several shots of a line on the ground, moving slightly and re-focusing between each shot. I use lines in a sidewalk, focus where they intersect and can then easily see what direction and how much focus is off.