Site Sponsors

Thread: Guess that's why it's $10.5k...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Guess that's why it's $10.5k...

The amount of detail that the 50mm Noctilux Asph picks up even at f/0.95 is astounding to me. It never fails to amaze. I think the four ladies who craved their names into the wood would agree.

Though I am afraid that my copy is back-focusing - must investigate.

Handheld thru an 8 stop Helipan filter. Applied a light USM in post.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guess that's why it's $10.5k...

Vlad: That's one of the reasons; bokeh, and the unique way it draws are others. They're also on backorder everywhere. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

On a monitor it looks like it's generating copious amounts of green CA. How do prints look?

Kirk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats, Vlad! great lens, but does have a CA issue...focussing is obviously challenging, but it's possible re: backfocussing. Good luck....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Vlad!!!!!

Do the ruler test to check for back focus. However, also check it with other lenses if possible to be sure it isn't just a rangefinder adjustment that's needed. If the rangefinder is off a little bit, this is the Lens that'll show it immediately! Also be sure you aren't doing any body sway since the DOF at 0.95 is wafer thin. I had to really tighten up my shooting technique with this lens.

I LOVE the 0.95. Just returned from a short vacation and shot more than half the images with the 50/0.95.

A few things I especially like about the lens is how it renders front Bokeh as well as back out-of-focus areas ... and even when stopped down a bit it retains that beautiful Nocti color and character.

The CA is odd ... sometimes it happens but usually it doesn't. Hardly any of my shots while in the bright Florida sun showed any signs of it even wide open with back-lighting.

I just started processing and loaded a few Nocti shots to my Smug-Mug page ... have a look ... click on Original Size to see large.

-Marc

http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Photogr...02572686_U5Cgt