The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the new VC 28mm f2 worth to get?

edftwin

Hi everyone, i have just got my M8 recently and im now trying to get a lens which will be my walk-around lens. I have been eyeing on a VC 28mm f2 but offered with a used VC 28mm f1.9 which comes with a hood and 28/90 M adapter by a local private seller.

So here's my question, is the old VC 28mm f1.9 worth to get instead of the new 28mm f2? What's the significant improvement made in the new lens or do they perform differently? Which would you recommend? Thanks !

250swb

Sean Reid at ReidReviews

http://www.reidreviews.com/index.html

has written about the differences. From memory he says the old lens doesn't suffer from aperture related focus shift like the new lens does. I have owned the new lens and can confirm focus shift does happen from around f2.8 to f8. How important that is depends on the sorts of things you mainly photograph, but it didn't suit me.

Steve

seakayaker

I recently picked up a copy of the VC 28/1.9 after reading reviews and blogs.

One other lens I have the 50/1.5 Nokton ASPH LTM Lens and use the same adaptor on the M9.

Really can not make a comparison but did read enough that indicated that the 28/1.9 may be the better lens. Time will tell, good luck with your decision.

BTW, both of the lens comes with a hood when purchased new.

edftwin

Thank you guys for your response ! I seem to lean towards the older one since i can get a deal in my local place with M adapter included, i would also like to see some photos from you guys tho !

Double Negative

Not Available
The 1.9 version is a better lens than the 2.0 because of the focus shift, as mentioned above... CV has been revising their older LTM lenses to M mount - sometimes a good thing, sometimes not. I think in this case, I'd go with "not."

Slightly off-topic - I really hope they don't b0rk the 1,2/35 Nokton "Mark II." I still have my "classic" and I'm not letting go of it until the verdict's in, that's for sure!

seakayaker

. . . . . there was an issue with the V1 of the 35/1.2. Had to do with the lens needing a fix to work on a digital M. Were there any other issues with the lens?

Thanks, Dan

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Dan, I've been using the 1,2/35 on almost nothing but digital. What issues? It's always worked well for me on both the M8 and M9.

seakayaker

The issue I was referring to was listed on the Camerquest site: "Leica M8 Update: The 35/1.2 was introduced in 2003. Once the Leica M8 was introduced in late 2006, some M8 owners reported focusing resistance as the lens focused near infinity. The factory determined this was caused by the rear element guard sometimes binding with the focusing mechanism, and issued a retrofit parts replacement. CameraQuest has modified all 35/1.2's in stock, and will only sell M8 modified 35/1.2's in the future."

The Voigtlander lens I have used have all been trouble free, but there is the focus shift issue reported with the 28/2 and 35/1.4 that people have reported in the past.

I was just asking a general question to see if there was any other issues that you or others may have seen arise with the 35/1.2.

Double Negative

Not Available
Oh, THAT issue! Probably got fixed at the factory after the first batch for all subsequent lenses I'm guessing.

As I mentioned earlier, mine's been perfectly trouble-free from day one... Which can also be said for the rest of my CV lenses (1,1/50 Nokton and 28/35/50 Color Skopars).

Oddly, I can't say that about my ZMs. Argh. Nevertheless, the ZMs are my favorite.

Some CVs do have focus shift though, like the 2/28. Many have some barrel distortion. Nevertheless, they're all generally GOOD lenses for not a lot of coin. Many are pretty unique (like the Noktons) that make them worthwhile. The 1,2/35 for example - I'd never want to be without that lens, it rocks - from wide open. The 1,1/50 not so much - but it's fast. And a zero off the end of the pricetag for an equiivalent Noctilux...

seakayaker

Thanks for the feedback.

I am always pleased with the output of my Nokton 50/1.5.

I had the CV 75/2.5 but sold it when I bought a copy of the 75/1.8. If I had to do over again I may have kept it since it did produce great photos and the size was a better fit then the 75/1.8. I am not knocking the 75/1.8 at all and have no regrets with the purchase.

The other two CV lens I have are the 40/1.4 and 90/3.5 along with the 28/1.9 that I just purchased.

I agree with you that the Voigtlander lens are great value when you discuss cost vs the output. No its not a Leica but in all cases thousands less, and in the case of the Zeiss ZM series a little bit closer in price but still saving hundreds of dollars.

I have owned the ZM 25/2.8 on two occasions and would not hesitate to pick up another copy if needed. Sold it twice, once to help pay of a 35/2 Cron and the second time to help pay for a M9.

Thanks again for the information on the 35/1.2

Double Negative

Not Available
The 1,5/50 Nokton is much-loved by many. Deservedly so, it's a peach. I can't speak of the 75/90 options (I ended up with a 2,8/90 Elmarit-M - my only Leica lens) when I couldn't get a decent option from Zeiss (the 2/85 Sonnar is ridiculous and the 4/85 Tele-tessar too slow). The 1,9/28 Ultron has a following too - nice lens.

No problem re:1,2/35 Nokton. I can't recommend it enough if you like shooting at/near wide open and enjoy the 35mm focal length. It's got a wonderful bokeh wide open (which is why many were disappointed at the 1,1/50, expecting similar). It is a bit larger and heavier than many are used to when it comes to RF lenses... A Noctilux it's not though, and when you're used to shooting Canon pro bodies and L glass - you have laugh a little. ;)

If you're interested - all of my currently online 1,2/35 Nokton photos shot on the M8 and M9.

The 2,8/25 Biogon ZM? Best... Lens... Ever... It's my favorite lens. If for nothing else than its technical perfection. Stupid sharp. All the usual Zeissisms. Win!