The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica lens hoods

gooomz

why is leica so big on lens hoods?

i know some people like them for lens protection rather then a uv filter and i know they prevent flare but how come they are so standard issue with leica?

is it like their trademark?

just wondering.

Have you ever seen pictures or videos of cinematography cameras used in major motion pictures without lens hoods?

It turns out lens hoods reduce flare. Flare reduces image quality. Leica and everybody else are big on lens hoods because they want to get the most out of their lenses.

LCT

Some Leica hoods could be smaller for sure. That of the 21/2.8 or the 28/2 for instance. But the latter can be replaced by the previous 35/1.4 hood with no vignetting issue. Another problem is the small size of some buit-in hoods (50/2, 50/1.4, 75/2, 90/2...). They are almost useless per se and become totally so with a filter on.

edftwin

leica hoods are too puny compared with those canikon hoods lol...i find no flare issue with my 35 cron without using a hood.