Site Sponsors

Thread: Thank you for the new Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the new Forum

We can't start the Leica R forum without a couple pictures of the person that has probably given the Leica R and DMR the most visiblilty to the internet forums with his famous DMR bible thread.

Here is Guy from two years ago in Mexico.
    Last edited by robsteve; 5th November 2007 at 12:41.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thank you for the new Forum

LOL you always love to show me in my best light Robert. Welcome and enjoy yourself my friend. We hope this site will add value to the photo community at large and bring information and sharing in the community.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Admin note: We moved soem of Woody's gear FS posts from here to the B&S section, but you'll find some residual quotes about how much nice gear he owns My original comment was:

Wow Woody, you really own a lot of nice gear! And here I though I was a gear-a-holic!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    We can't start the Leica R forum without a couple pictures of the person that has probably given the Leica R and DMR the most visiblilty to the internet forums with his famous DMR bible thread.

Hi Rob:

Great to have you here, and abslutely PERFECT images to start off with! LOLOLOLOL! Thanks for posting them!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez Woody just the best there is there. I already sold both kids for lenses , nothing left to sell

Good luck on your sale . I owned a 35-70 2.8 for awhile and man does that lens sing a tune with imaging. Best of luck
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey don't let me dig back into my files boys , i have a couple winners of both you and Rob

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I echo Rob's comments and say thanks for the new forum and wish you the best of luck with it.

I was in Europe with my wife during the week of the Yosemite workshop but I hope to be able to attend one in the future. Sounds like a great experience.

Woody - that's a killer first post!

One image to say here's looking up and hope the new forum sheds a positive light on all our photographic voyages, as I am certain it will.

Attachment 35

P.S. R9/DMR + 35/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks so much for the nice comments. We all look forward to the future of the R system and we all have heard the rumors and it sounds leica may give us a knock out punch in the R arena.

Folks one thing also we do have the members gallery were you can post your images up but please if you want to run a post on the the DMR images or the M8 go ahead and please start one. We love to look at images and our forum module is images anywhere you want to put them so let it rip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Wow Woody, you really own a lot of nice gear! And here I though I was a gear-a-holic!

Hey Jack

My ratio of lenses to good photos is still greater than one. I decided that since I don't get many great images the best way to improve that ratio is to sell the glass LOL

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Woody as we have talked about several times on the workshop the M8 for you maybe the better choice overall with just some extra's on the DMR side to keep you honest with macro and tele stuff. Parring down sometimes is actually a good thing. Makes you think differently too

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add my thanks for setting up the forum and I'm looking forward to lots of good discussions and great pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug nice to have you here. okay i want to see some of the bird shots. i just love Doug's work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Doug nice to have you here. okay i want to see some of the bird shots. i just love Doug's work.
    OK here are a couple of photos from Yosemite made during my pre-digital years:

Sooty Grouse in the Glacier Point parking lot. SL & 280 f/4

Coyote next to the road somewhere on the valley floor. SL & 560 f/6.8
    Yeah I know it's not a bird but it's a reminder that there's more to Yosemite than gorgeous scenery.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn page

[oops, don't need that
    Old habits die hard

LOL]

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROTFLMAO. It's a long story good one Victor and welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post

Robert, I am glad you displayed the images of the pioneer and one of the most valuable thread in the history of photographic forum that I came across. If this forum existed back then, all the information would still be here. I am sure the R10 will have its own bible when it arrived.

-Son
    Last edited by PSon; 6th November 2007 at 22:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Woody as we have talked about several times on the workshop the M8 for you maybe the better choice overall with just some extra's on the DMR side to keep you honest with macro and tele stuff. Parring down sometimes is actually a good thing. Makes you think differently too
    No question the M8 is my go to kit. Mostly because at my age lugging around a bag full of DSLR's and the (comparatively) huge lenses is getting tougher and tougher. But there are occasions, such as my upcoming trip to Bosque Del Apache to shoot the migratory sand hill cranes) where the DMR and long lenses are a must. The 135 limit of the M8 doesn't cut it for this kind of shooting. I suspect that all I will take on this trip is the 21-35, 35-70 elmarit, 180 APO 2.8 and the 280 APO 4.0 plus the 1.4x extender. This should cover all my needs. I could think about the M8 and 21,28,50,75 and leave the 21-35 R and 35-70 R lenses at home. Have to think this one through. Only good news is that I will be driving to New Mexico so no problems with taking gear on the airplane,

Thanks for the advice

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just wish this forum existed a couple of years ago....good to see some friendly faces on this site ! Hmm I may have to buy a DMR just to be a 'real' member - any suggestions where I can get one? anyone?

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DMR - Photovillage has one listed also SH Photo and Camera West.
    There has been one listed on eBAy twice recently but did not sell, reserve not met.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I just wish this forum existed a couple of years ago....good to see some friendly faces on this site ! Hmm I may have to buy a DMR just to be a 'real' member - any suggestions where I can get one? anyone?
    So do i Peter don't know what took Jack and I so long to just build a home ourselves. BTW you are a real member regardless of gear and hopefully you will call this home. I'm going nowhere, this is making me a happy boy. Jack and I are absolutely thrilled to have this many members in less than a week. The beauty of this site is you have the owners, photographers, instructers and forum leaders here with you posting everyday. There is not a another site like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I just wish this forum existed a couple of years ago....good to see some friendly faces on this site ! Hmm I may have to buy a DMR just to be a 'real' member
    Peter, I'll second Guy and say you'll always be a real member regardless of what you are shooting! Guy and I talked about building a site like this two years ago, but as several others sprang up, we felt at least one of them would do what we felt "our group" wanted. Shame on us for spending the bulk of those two years trying to get the other sites to do what we felt was right instead of just doing it ourselves. Hopefully though, it's better late than never

BTW folks, 25 posts and the "New Member" designation automatically changes to "Member," 250 posts and it goes to "Senior Member."

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes i only regret my 12k plus in posts on other sites where right here. Oh well it's a new start

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gentlemen - the past is the past, i am glad you guys have done all this hard work of setting up..this is going to be a fantastic and useful resource and I already think a fun place to hang out with fellow photographers and camera junkies! -
    btw - thanks for your public endorsement Jack. I like dealing with good people known to each other. ...and it looks like I am going to pick up 2 dream lenses and maybe a DMR. Now I might advertise my Canon 1dsMk11 kit on here -

Cheers from 'Down-under'
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter please post whatever you have gear wise for sale. We put that section in for others to see what they can buy and hide from there spouses at the same time. Did i just say that. ROTFLMAO

Look how nice it worked for you. You single handedly got the best lens ever made or damn close to it. You just don't see Leica 35-70 2.8 Elmars being sold everyday. Not sure you know the story behind them. I think there are only 225 made, Leica was determined to make the best zoom ever but the cost was so high they were actually losing money on them so they stopped production. I had one for awhile and have to say it was a beauty of a lens.

Jim might be able to expand on some of that Leica history on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for that Guy - I have never used one myself but am really looking forward to using it..I am also looking forward to the 70-180 which is itself a beautiful optic. I am thinking out my strategy re Canon gear - I have the 17-40/501.2L/851.2L/70-200ISL as lenses which I wiil probably sell - and a 4000 shot (only) 1dsmk11 with other bits and pieces....

Just got mysecond Alpa body today - as my portable shooter - the lovely 12TC - maybe I will do a write up on how I use the stuff..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, Peter do a write up on those exotic ALPA cameras.

Peter and I are about to venture into gear land that threatens to flood the "For Sale" section with excellent stuff as we swap over some systems. In the quest to squeeze ever more quality out of every pixel, he's infecting me with Leica R and Sinar/Schneider Hy6 lust ( thank God the M8 kit is done ). Gotta hussel up more paying gigs pronto ... LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc load it up . Peter we would love to hear more of the Alpa system and if you want to write something up that would be awesome. No such thing as to much data around here. Also guys we are going to put in a Hot Headline news that folks see something in the industry like announcement of gears and such a place to put those announcements so all members can see. So that should be a good source of data. Were building and learning at the same time. Personally i love the fact that other Pro's are with us on this site, it gives a great balance of what works in the real world and what does not.

BTW we are 1 week old today, so we have a lot of growing to do but Jack and i are thrilled so far at the members that have joined. It's a slow process but quality is more important than quantity in our members and a compliment to those that signed up are some really nice folks to have here. Ad campaign "Were loving it" Now who's campaign is it, I can't remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Parring down sometimes is actually a good thing. Makes you think differently too
    For me the DMR & M8 make a grate combination because they both serve as backups to each-other (if there is a repair) and while one is out, the experience of shooting with the different camera enriches and I learn through it. I don't have a favorit but if I shoot too much time with one, I start to miss the other.