The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It will be very interesting to see what Leica introduces . They have to be careful about exceeding both their development and production capacity . While a new smaller AF line of Leica lenses would be well received ... I can t see how they can produce them in Germany at a cost that would work .

Zeiss has done a nice job in introducing the new line of lenses for the Sony Nex and Fuji X bodies . These are produced in Japan and retail for over $1000 or close . If Leica produces in Germany they would have to be twice that . Maybe that could work ?

D&A

Re: New Mini M?
What if it was a FF, interchangeable M mount, no RF, in a smaller body... and the zoom lens everyone is screaming about is just one of the first of a new autofocus M lens line....QUOTE]

I initially thought (as I mentioned in a couple previous posts) that a reasonable evolutionary step for Leica with regards to a mini M, would be at least a smaller APS-C (or FF) rangefinderless, interchangeable M lens camera. What type or if any built-in viewfinder could exist is hard to say in order to keep it compact, but an optional EVF would be available. A camera of this type I believe would slot in perfectly between a X2 and the M-E/ new M.

If the sensor is smaller than FF, it opens up the door to a possible APS zoom lens as well as a couple of lower priced compact single focal length lens (ala Leica CL). It would be a welcome surprise if they did all this and taking the leap to a new series of AF lenses I simply don't see at this time...unless either the body is hightly successful and a successor would incorporate appropriate lens contacts, or this new 1st generation body has lens contacts for these newer APS lenses (to transmit lens data) and eventually (and possibly) utilize these contacts in the future for AF lenses.

Dave (D&A)

Exactly Dave,
They don't have to come out with a full line of AF lenses. Just the ability to add them in the future and an adapter for current m lenses Included. Most people will be happy with using the current M lenses. The EVF would be optional for those that want to add it.

I also don't understand why people think this marketing campaign is failing. It's quite the opposite. I think just about every major photo forum and many blogs are discussing this anticipated camera. Yes, it might disappoint. But people are taking about it. Which is the point of a marketing campaign. And if they get feedback that people want a camera that's a mix between the M240 and Fuji X-E1/xpro. They can come out with that later, if this camera isn't it. I will probably just buy a used Leica 28 or 35mm lens and use it on my X-E1. Unless this is the camera I am asking for. Basically the best of both worlds... Does anyone know the magnification of those on an X-E1?

Thanks

This may sound like a dumb question, but what makes a Leica lens a "Leica lens"? I assume its the glass... So why can't they make the glass in Germany and have the lenses more "mass produced" so they will be cheaper. Hell, Make an adapter so the S lenses work also with AF for someone who wants the highest quality.

Actually, just make me CEO and I'll make everyone happy and the company a lot of money...:chug: :ROTFL:

Paratom

This may sound like a dumb question, but what makes a Leica lens a "Leica lens"? I assume its the glass... So why can't they make the glass in Germany and have the lenses more "mass produced" so they will be cheaper. Hell, Make an adapter so the S lenses work also with AF for someone who wants the highest quality.

Actually, just make me CEO and I'll make everyone happy and the company a lot of money...:chug: :ROTFL:
The strange thing is...Leica introduced the Summarit line of lenses for a clearly lower price than the Summarits and Summiluxes...but even though the Summarits are quite good (I can tell from using three of them for some years) it as not that successful.
People pay double price for a half f-stop and 0.2 m shoter minim. focusing distance. (Now everybody can start about different character etc....actually I prefer the "character" of the 35/2.5 over the 35 Summicron)
What I am trying to say is that I dont believe Leica would sell more lenses if Leica works on reducing cost.

Taylor Sherman

The manufacturing tolerances have a lot to do with it. Really, they're necessary for the optical formula to be worth anything.

Just to clarify, I was suggesting they make a new line of smaller AF lenses specifically for the "Dream Mini M." I was NOT suggesting they change anything with the current M lenses.

patk

leica rumors is now claiming the original leaked specs are correct after all. i am getting that move along nothing to see feeling. :(

pophoto

Seriously what's M about this camera? Yeah, I know! I'm sounding negative, but in all seriousness. No M lenses, no viewfinder.

Now the specs are looking more official (still by rumor), why couldn't they even keep it at constant f/4 with the zoom lens. It almost makes it an overindulgent D-Lux/Lumix, calling it the D-Lux 7m would almost be more fitting. Oh that's right, this has a larger sensor, silly me :facesmack:

AnthonyFlores

I know some have cringed at the thought, but I would seriously love it if Apple just acquired Leica. $3 billion or even $5 billion, it's like a drop in the bucket for Apple. Leica could be run independently, with assistance from Apple, still be a "premium brand." Most importantly, production would go way up while costs go down significantly.

Were that to happen, I bet the camera everyone wants... the super sexy, compact M mini with FF, built in EVF, and sharp, fast, compact AF lenses would be a reality for $3k or less... and lenses would be no more than $1k each.

Seriously, Leica needs more capital, improved production capacity, and fresher tech and rates of innovation if it's going to thrive in the coming years. Relying primarily on their brand power will not keep Sony and Fuji from taking more and more customers away from them.

I really hope this rumor is not true, but I guess I will be ready to pull the trigger on the RX1 if so.

atanabe

Looks like it suffers from the M's loose lugs, one has already fallen off. Must do better with PS - the details are important.

dseelig

I have zero interest in this camera now if one of you guys want to give a away a leica s or an s2 that would be different. I will keep usingmy Leica M and my luxes

V

Vivek

I tried to buy a Hermes edition but u fortunately my offer fell short. I like the Paul Smith edition too. Hopefully, i will get lucky finding one.

If the Mini M comes as one of the special edition versions with some distinction, I will be very interested.

It is a snall way to say thank you to Leica. :)