The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Take on the Leica CL

Robert Campbell

Where do you live Robert - we went to Ireland for the first time this year (lovely gay marriage in Donegal).

Best
East Tyrone, near Dungannon. This is in Northern Ireland, so no gay marriage here (among other things)! And not so far from that Border.

Robert Campbell

Whilst the weather might be complicated, there are zero Brexit complications for consideration.

.............. Chris
The news reports today suggest that the Border conundrum has been solved, the circle has been squared; they don't say how, though.

Godfrey

With luck, I won't run into any of the Brexit issues. I'm flying into Cork, training up to Dublin and taking a direct Dublin->Douglas flight, then reversing that to head home. Again, I'll see what happens... :)

A little aside from the CL, but important for its use too: So much of my bumming around now happens on motorcycle or bicycle, I went and bought the Peak Design Sling 10L and 5L bags. The 5L is just right for the M-D and two/three lenses along with iPad Pro 9x7 (although that's a snug fit); it will fit the CL easily too. The 10L will fit up to the iPad Pro 12.3" (or MacBook Air 13"!) and I can stuff the SL with the 24-90 and a second lens in there too; it also has straps to carry a tripod. Both these bags have the slip-adjust strap so they cinch up snug when I'm riding and the gear sits in the middle of my back without flopping around, then drop down fast and nice for access. The 5L also has a tricky catch on the strap so I can use it like a butt bag, waist bag, or (heavens, they don't like the term...) fanny pack. That's great for the motorcycle too.

It's good to have carrying options again. One of the reasons I haven't been shooting as much is because I'm on one of the two wheelers about 80% of the time these days and I haven't had a decent way to carry gear that I can get in and out of quickly. My bicycle backpack works with a small padded pouch for the M-D, but it's so inconvenient I end up not carrying the camera at all. Hopefully these will help. The biggest PITA is carrying the camera gear as well as my U-lock for the bicycle ... That's why I needed the 10L too, because the 5L carries all the camera gear I'd normally want.

Still have a week and some to get ready so I'm thinking of what will work well for this upcoming trip...

G

Godfrey

The Moment has arrived: just got the call from my dealer that he has a body for me. I have 24 hours to decide whether to go for it or not. HMM, hmm, hmm.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The Moment has arrived: just got the call from my dealer that he has a body for me. I have 24 hours to decide whether to go for it or not. HMM, hmm, hmm.

G
I would definitely go for it - a wonderful while compact and very capable camera!

Peter

scott kirkpatrick

G
Go for it. Among other things, I would be interested in your reactions to its user interface quirks and advantages.

Godfrey

Hmm. I don't consider anything with regards to buying a camera as inevitable...

One thing making me reluctant to go for it is that I haven't had a chance to get up to SF and handle one in person yet. I thought I might get there last week, but there's been no time. And there's just barely time to get it here, determine if I like/want it, and sending it back if the answer is no.

Actually, the fact that I've flip-flopped on whether to go for it or not a half a dozen times already tells me the answer is "No, I don't really want it right now." Better to wait until I have time to go handle one and decide whether I want it without rush or bother.

It's easy enough to order it in a month or so if I do feel I want it. :D

G

Godfrey

Okay, decision made: Not going for it just yet. I thanked my dealer friend and told him if things changed after the holidays I'd be in touch.

I remain interested in the CL, just like I remain interested in the Hasselblad X1D, but not quite interested enough at the moment to punch the buy button. This could change next year ... either of these cameras would be fun to work with. :cool:

G

SrMphoto

Okay, decision made: Not going for it just yet. I thanked my dealer friend and told him if things changed after the holidays I'd be in touch.

I remain interested in the CL, just like I remain interested in the Hasselblad X1D, but not quite interested enough at the moment to punch the buy button. This could change next year ... either of these cameras would be fun to work with. :cool:

G
I can attest that X1D is very fun to work with and CL (just got it) seems fun as well. Mostly missing back-button focus on CL (whihc allows MF with quick AF when necessary).

raist3d

Tried one yesterday here in Paris, France at a Leica store somewhat close the Bastille Plaza.

I know just barely a little French, and the clerk didn't know English nor Spanish, but we managed. I liked the manual focus. The LCD interface at first I thought was slow but the slow part is just the LCD refresh (as all LCD's seem to do at this level), the camera could keep up with my fast dialing up settings-wise. The AF seemed pretty decent. Tried it out with the 18mm lens (27mm equiv).

I got a pretty good impression of this camera, and was nicely encouraged to buy by the fact that I could buy it without tax since I was coming back to USA. Leica would honor the warranty in San Francisco, USA / internationally.

In the end the realization that I could buy a full system of Fuji primes + X-E3 (which I have as of recently), by the single Leica CL + 18mm made me pause. But we already knew Leica is very expensive.

I still like the simpler UI of the Leica, but the Fuji UI is also reasonably designed. So decided to pass, but had a real good time with the clerk putting to practice my French and she was extremely helpful and funny.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Another perspective from some reviewers I trust a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljuqkmF6D8&t=616s

He didn't quite like it, due to UI/usability issues. When I tried it I didn't pay attention to switching different modes and different focus modes, but I can see if that's some more menu involvement it could be a bit annoying. But as far as having it say "on shutter priority" and the focus mode you wanted already set, it didn't strike me as a problem.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another perspective from some reviewers I trust a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljuqkmF6D8&t=616s

He didn't quite like it, due to UI/usability issues. When I tried it I didn't pay attention to switching different modes and different focus modes, but I can see if that's some more menu involvement it could be a bit annoying. But as far as having it say "on shutter priority" and the focus mode you wanted already set, it didn't strike me as a problem.

- Ricardo
He even appointed it to "Worse Camera of 2017" :D

iiiNelson

He even appointed it to "Worse Camera of 2017" :D
I saw that video and his review. I guess I understand his point and it was named on the Worst Camera list for the “value proposition” more than the image quality. He also doesn’t see it as a camera that follows the traditional Leica ethos in it being an unique and aesthetically pleasing camera. He sees it as a camera that is partially retro when one could go full on retro style with the Fujifilm cameras... and of course there’s the price that greatly exceeds FF mirrorless prices with a lens.

Im not saying it’s right or wrong. I’ve largely have written off Leica (outside the M) as of late for the same reason I write off Canon and Nikon. They’re no longer brands for me as they limit innovation due to their heritage... and that’s fine but value is a factor for me to consider even when I can afford a product. I mean if I were offered a Hasselblad X1D or a M then I’d likely choose the Hasselblad as much as I enjoyed my M9’s. If I had to choose between a CL and. Fujifilm camera is likely choose the Fujifilm one due to lens selection and hardware. To each their own and if I was invested more heavily int Leica still maybe my opinions would change.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I saw that video and his review. I guess I understand his point and it was named on the Worst Camera list for the “value proposition” more than the image quality. He also doesn’t see it as a camera that follows the traditional Leica ethos in it being an unique and aesthetically pleasing camera. He sees it as a camera that is partially retro when one could go full on retro style with the Fujifilm cameras... and of course there’s the price that greatly exceeds FF mirrorless prices with a lens.

Im not saying it’s right or wrong. I’ve largely have written off Leica (outside the M) as of late for the same reason I write off Canon and Nikon. They’re no longer brands for me as they limit innovation due to their heritage... and that’s fine but value is a factor for me to consider even when I can afford a product. I mean if I were offered a Hasselblad X1D or a M then I’d likely choose the Hasselblad as much as I enjoyed my M9’s. If I had to choose between a CL and. Fujifilm camera is likely choose the Fujifilm one due to lens selection and hardware. To each their own and if I was invested more heavily int Leica still maybe my opinions would change.
Very closely reflects my findings and current view as well, would choose Hasselblad X1D over any Leica M and Fuji over the Leica CL - I actually lived very good with my XT2 and kit zoom and 100-400 but finally the OLY EM1.2 with Pro lenses was the better overall choice for me.

Having said that the longer I think about it I could probably add a Sony A7rIII with some selected lenses to my m43 gear - just when I need the higher resolution. And if selected properly the latest G lenses are not disappointing like the 100-400 and the 24-120.

Maybe I finally start selling my M lenses and M cameras to fund this step back into Sony mirrorless FF .... who knows?

iiiNelson

Very closely reflects my findings and current view as well, would choose Hasselblad X1D over any Leica M and Fuji over the Leica CL - I actually lived very good with my XT2 and kit zoom and 100-400 but finally the OLY EM1.2 with Pro lenses was the better overall choice for me.

Having said that the longer I think about it I could probably add a Sony A7rIII with some selected lenses to my m43 gear - just when I need the higher resolution. And if selected properly the latest G lenses are not disappointing like the 100-400 and the 24-120.

Maybe I finally start selling my M lenses and M cameras to fund this step back into Sony mirrorless FF .... who knows?
Yeah the truth is that there aren’t many bad cameras being made these days when it comes down to IQ. At this point whatever camera choice you go with comes down to individual subjective preference and these can all be classified as first world problems. Personally I believe Micro 4/3 aligns well with FF 35mm systems in the same way I feel FF 35mm aligns with FF 645 Medium Format systems.

I guess the only thing of concern is if you want to color match exactly across two systems. That’s where I see Fujifilm having an advantage over other companies not named Pentax and Leica.

Paratom

Regarding the video review:
I agree about the 3 button UI used on the M10 and now on CL -IMO-is less intuitive and is slower to use than the 4 button interface of the SL/S or what we saw on the M type 240.
I also agree that OIS would be a big advantage and I miss it.
I still like the CL for its excellent lenses, good AF and viewfinder and excellent UI. I also like to finally have a top display on such a small camera.