The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With the Leica CL

scott kirkpatrick

Scott, I hope the haircut is the worst thing your son has to endure. I wish him well...
He's used to the monthly trim by now, and it is not a problem. He's joined the division that communicates with the world's press on behalf of the army, so he has pals in video, photography, social networks, but he'll probably work with the press. as he is bilingual and a good writer. I have impressive pictures of both kids with uniforms, formal and casual, and weapons, but I can't post them. Right now this is a cool game for both of them. Tom has to memorize every detail of the army, its organization and its history. As a history buff, this is up his alley. And they will travel around to see all aspects of the military. But if a war starts, there will be some reality to deal with.

Godfrey

Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/50

I'm off for travel the next six weeks ... Whatever I post between now and October will be from the road. The CL and 28, 50 mm lenses are coming with me. :D

enjoy!
G

Photon42

ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/50

I'm off for travel the next six weeks ... Whatever I post between now and October will be from the road. The CL and 28, 50 mm lenses are coming with me. :D

enjoy!
G

Wonderful shot!

RMR

L1000702_CL_RMR_Aug_2018-Edit_FB.jpg

Sunflowers can be great in B&W too! Leica CL ad my new 60mm f2.8 macro lens at f9, 1/250 sec at iso 400. I'm lovin' this lens!

Godfrey

A couple of photos at the Manx GP Senior race, 2018:

Both: Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250 (approximately)

Enjoy!
G

Thorkil

A couple of photos at the Manx GP Senior race, 2018:

Both: Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250 (approximately)

Enjoy!
G
Wonderful to see a Norton Manx 1cyl. 500 ccm (I presume) at full speed !!! I just wish I had been there to see and not the least hear the wonderfull sound !!!
Dont know which one the upper one is.
best thorkil

Godfrey

Wonderful to see a Norton Manx 1cyl. 500 ccm (I presume) at full speed !!! I just wish I had been there to see and not the least hear the wonderfull sound !!!
best thorkil
Not full speed at that part of the circuit, but accelerating fast!
I'll have to look up the other bike and see what it is. Too tired at present. Long long day.

G

Godfrey

best thorkil
I'll have to look up the other bike and see what it is. Too tired at present. Long long day.
According to the program, #73 in the Senior Classic TT was a 500cc Honda. It looks slimmer than I'd expect for a 500cc Honda, but there you go. I'll see if I can find a side-on look at the same bike.

G

Thorkil

According to the program, #73 in the Senior Classic TT was a 500cc Honda. It looks slimmer than I'd expect for a 500cc Honda, but there you go. I'll see if I can find a side-on look at the same bike.

G
I just checked too, and the Norton was a genuine 500 ccm Manx, that finished nr. 5 - and the winner John McGuinness was on a Paton (which I didn't know anything about until now!), nr. 2 a Norton Manx
The same John McGuinness did an 40 years anniversal (on saturday 25. aug., perhaps you saw) honor lap for Mike Hailwood (the most legendary bike-racer of all times) on his original Ducati, by which he won in 1978 without doing any practice at all (prepared by the factory, deliverted just before race - Hailwood had never been riding a Ducati - just came, rode and won). His ridingstyle was slim, no knees pointing out anywhere.
:)
(Ps. I saw a video with John McGuinness doing a TT-lap - very, very scaring indeed !!! not strange many drivers died i the TT through times)

PPS
The lendary race TT - 1978
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkala1Z0lmQ

but perhaps even more spectacular is this one showing the eminent skills of Mike Hailwood at Mallory Park, 1978
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnNP7mw7XY

Last edited:

Godfrey

Yes, I'm very familiar with Mike the Bike ... A good friend of mine knew him well, raced the TT with him here on the island in the 1960s and was good enough to keep him and Giacomo Agostini in sight a good bit of the time. Heady days! Hailwood's ride on the Ducati in 1978 is legendary.

I saw McGuinness pass on the honorarium lap: he goes very well indeed. Yes, the IoM circuit is one of the longest ever, ferociously dangerous and difficult. I've ridden it at speed for promenade laps several times—challenging enough for me. Another friend now resident here on the Isle used to race it in the 1990s/early 2000s but has since retired. It's not for the faint of heart.

I know the name Paton was a combination of Pattoni and Tonti, Pattoni being a wealthy guy and chief mechanic at FB Mondial racing when they closed down and Lino Tonti being a motorcycle designer. Tonti later went on to be hired at Moto Guzzi when Carcano retired in the late 1960s, where he designed the now-famous Moto Guzzi 'Tonti' frame: the basis of frames for many of the Moto Guzzi twins ever since. He also designed the Moto Guzzi small block engine and frame, first sold in the middle 1970s, that my motorcycle (2017 Moto Guzzi V7III Racer) is a direct descendant of. He was a design genius, just as Carcano was before him.

Today was warm and sunny, good racing, and I was off watching in Ramsey again most of the day. :D

G

Godfrey

From yesterday:

Green Motorcycle - Peel, Isle of Man 2018

Enjoy!
G

Thorkil

Yes, I'm very familiar with Mike the Bike ... A good friend of mine knew him well, raced the TT with him here on the island in the 1960s and was good enough to keep him and Giacomo Agostini in sight a good bit of the time. Heady days! Hailwood's ride on the Ducati in 1978 is legendary.

I saw McGuinness pass on the honorarium lap: he goes very well indeed. Yes, the IoM circuit is one of the longest ever, ferociously dangerous and difficult. I've ridden it at speed for promenade laps several times—challenging enough for me. Another friend now resident here on the Isle used to race it in the 1990s/early 2000s but has since retired. It's not for the faint of heart.

I know the name Paton was a combination of Pattoni and Tonti, Pattoni being a wealthy guy and chief mechanic at FB Mondial racing when they closed down and Lino Tonti being a motorcycle designer. Tonti later went on to be hired at Moto Guzzi when Carcano retired in the late 1960s, where he designed the now-famous Moto Guzzi 'Tonti' frame: the basis of frames for many of the Moto Guzzi twins ever since. He also designed the Moto Guzzi small block engine and frame, first sold in the middle 1970s, that my motorcycle (2017 Moto Guzzi V7III Racer) is a direct descendant of. He was a design genius, just as Carcano was before him.

Today was warm and sunny, good racing, and I was off watching in Ramsey again most of the day. :D

G
thanks for bringing nice info's and memory's up from the past! Fun!
Have a nice stay at the Isle of Man (unfortunately has never been in England)
thorkil
Nice bike (even its two-stroke) the latter and still doing daily practice it seems (a living witness on that we don't always need the latest gear .. :D) :thumbup:

Robert Campbell

thanks for bringing nice info's and memory's up from the past! Fun!
Have a nice stay at the Isle of Man (unfortunately has never been in England)
thorkil
Nice bike (even its two-stroke) the latter and still doing daily practice it seems (a living witness on that we don't always need the latest gear .. :D) :thumbup:

Forgive me for a little mansplaining, Thorkil. The Isle of Man isn't part of the United Kingdom, or of Great Britain, or even of England. Technically, it is a 'Crown Dependency' with its own government and legislature etc. There is free movement there for British and Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area arrangements. It's not part of the European Union, so there are restrictions for other citizens. The Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey, Sark etc are in a similar position. Gibraltar, at the southern tip of Spain is a 'British Overseas Territory' and is within the ambit of the EU. All very confusing, I'm afraid.

Thorkil

Forgive me for a little mansplaining, Thorkil. The Isle of Man isn't part of the United Kingdom, or of Great Britain, or even of England. Technically, it is a 'Crown Dependency' with its own government and legislature etc. There is free movement there for British and Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area arrangements. It's not part of the European Union, so there are restrictions for other citizens. The Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey, Sark etc are in a similar position. Gibraltar, at the southern tip of Spain is a 'British Overseas Territory' and is within the ambit of the EU. All very confusing, I'm afraid.
Thank you Robert, I didn't knew.
As long as they don't have all these tax-refugees it seems okay :)
Some other advantage apart from the TT, they got the tailless Manx-cats, which came to a half-island Reersø (and can be found only there and at Isle of Man) at the westcoast of Seeland in Denmark by a shipwreck several hundred years ago.
And while I spend each summer in tent by the See at Reersø when I was a young boy, I'm bound to feel a special connection to Isle of Man :eek: (and my Norton 850 Mk II engine is put in a genuine Norton Manx frame - also an important connection-link - even though it stands very rusty in the garage)(sorry Isle of Man(x))

Robert Campbell

Thank you Robert, I didn't knew.
As long as they don't have all these tax-refugees it seems okay :)
Some other advantage apart from the TT, they got the tailless Manx-cats, which came to a half-island Reersø (and can be found only there and at Isle of Man) at the westcoast of Seeland in Denmark by a shipwreck several hundred years ago.
And while I spend each summer in tent by the See at Reersø when I was a young boy, I'm bound to feel a special connection to Isle of Man :eek: (and my Norton 850 Mk II engine is put in a genuine Norton Manx frame - also an important connection-link - even though it stands very rusty in the garage)(sorry Isle of Man(x))
While I knew that the Manx cats were tailless, I didn't know that story about Reersø; thanks!

Manx cats, apparently, are very good hunters. They were often used to catch rats on ships back in the day, so your story of how they got to Reersø is almost certainly correct.

Perhaps Godfrey would snap one for the record.

Last edited:

Godfrey

My friends here host and feed a small number of outdoor cats. This year's bunch include a mother and son striped, both with full tails, and two others of hers (a black with boots and a tawny grey) with characteristic Manx tailless. If they come around while I'm here with the camera out, I'll snap a photo or two.

They do a lot to keep the mice down in the barn and garage. :)

Last day of racing for ManxGP 2018. It was a glorious, sunny day and quite warm out. I watched from Parliament Square again.

Two Bikes Passing
Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4

Enjoy! G

Godfrey

Window and Phone Box
Peel, Isle of Man 2018

This morning at the Peel breakwater, it was soft and drizzly, blowy, and I had problems getting the focus correct. I realized, after looking at the exposures I made, that the soft focus was actually part of what I was seeing ... Not exactly what I wanted, but eh? It works in a fashion. I do want to head back there tomorrow and get something a bit more sharp ... and the light will likely be entirely different.

Ach, just one more full day on the Island and then off to England! I love this place.

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

On the Thames - Lechlade, UK 2018
Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/100

Enjoy!
G