The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fill flash for M8

Burro39

I have this very small Olympus FL-20 electronic flash which I would like to use as a fill flash on my M8. It easily slips into a shirt pocket, has TTL Auto, Auto and Manual modes and was first made for their Camedia series cameras. I am somewhat hesitant to try it however because I know nothing about compatible trip voltages etc. Anyone know of a list of compatible flash units for the M8? Where would one go to find out about trip voltages for different cameras and flash units? Any information would be appreciated. Paul

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I just did some research on this but didn t save it. (1) I found the trip voltages thru some threads at the LUF and in general..the M8 will handle any of the small flashes(the problems come in when using some of the studio packs). (2)when the M8 was first released some used the Wein surge protector between the M8 and the flash (fits in the hot shoe). I would start a few searches over at the LUF as it was discussed in depth.

You will be limited to "a" or "m" modes because the TTL will not be compatible.

Let us know how it works out.

Burro39

Thanks Roger! I will search for those threads. I do have the Wein protector but it does add to the bulk in your shirt pocket. I will post any interesting finds. Paul

Peter Klein

I've been using the FL-20 on my M8 occasionally for about a year now. No problems. The FL-20 has a very low voltage trigger. I think it's 5 volts or under, so the Wein won't even work. At any rate, it's not necessary. I don't remember the exact voltage, but I know that I measured it with a digital voltmeter, and it was low enought that there are no worries.

As Roger mentioned, you can't use TTL. But it works nicely in Manual or Auto. To use it as fill flash, use an ISO on the flash one or two stops higher than what the camera is set to.

--Peter

Burro39

Thanks Peter! I gathered as much from the LUF threads but there was nothing there that I could find saying someone was actually using it. Appreciate your post. I will also rarely use it but it is so easy to have at hand I will now keep it in the bag.

bradhusick

I have been using the Canon Speedlite 270 on my M8 and it's a lovely bounce flash. Works in manual mode, so put shutter on flash speed and adjust aperture.

Last edited: