The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New from Alpa

PSon

Paul,
Thanks for the news. Let me know when the new grip for the 12TC is available I would be interested. I wonder how this Wooden grip would look on the 12TC Chrome version.
Best Regards,
Son

stephengilbert

Re a sliding adapter for the ALPA, I agree that it isn't a simple thing, but it would be great if KG or ALPA were to make one available. It seems to me that one difficulty would be to make it shallow enough front to back to maintain the full range of focus. Not to mention those shims ALPA provides to obtain perfect fit. (Perhaps Doug can explain why they're needed; he's told me before, but ....)

Steve

O

Optechs Digital

Paul,
Thanks for the news. Let me know when the new grip for the 12TC is available I would be interested. I wonder how this Wooden grip would look on the 12TC Chrome version.
Best Regards,
Son
Hi Son,

I think this will look great on your silver TC!! I will let you know when they arrive.

Best Regards,
Paul

O

Optechs Digital

Re a sliding adapter for the ALPA, I agree that it isn't a simple thing, but it would be great if KG or ALPA were to make one available. It seems to me that one difficulty would be to make it shallow enough front to back to maintain the full range of focus. Not to mention those shims ALPA provides to obtain perfect fit. (Perhaps Doug can explain why they're needed; he's told me before, but ....)

Steve
Hi Steve,

They are needed to offset the various different chip placements from the back manufacturers. I am trying to be say this as cautiously as possible. It is surprising to see how much variation there can be between two or more copies of a given back.

Best Regards,
Paul

I've used an Arca F-metric, then a Cambo WDS and now I have 2 Alpa bodies and 5 lenses. The system is great. The company is great. I have never wanted a sliding back with any camera. It's easier and faster to use the simple viewfinder and then just shoot and see where you are. The time involved to open the shutter and aperture and slide the back and get a viewing device in place is too long for my taste. You get to know your lenses and what they will do so the trial and error method works fast for me. Sliding backs are too big, too heavy and way too prone to trouble. So, yes, it is Simple at the Top, as they say. Just a happy customer.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guess you do... Or is it a WRS? :rolleyes:

Look at what a google search for "Cambo WRS" returns on page 1... funny enough the particular legend reads "Cambo Wide"... :D
:ROTFL: That is frigging hysterical!!! :ROTFL:

I took that shot of Guy like 4 years ago using HIS DMR and 180/2 R lens, first frame I ever shot with a DMR too. Not only that, I had to brush out a fencepost that was sticking out of his head when I created the avatar from it. Now, how it shows up in a "Cambo WRS" search is beyond me!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK Paul, so Alpa introduces new grip for TC and on their website they mention an additional wake-up grip that will be optimized for the individual backs from PHASE Hasselblad etc.

The question is : since when does the H3D back need a wake-up cable...I have used mine for a very long time without. What gives?

Bob

O

Optechs Digital

OK Paul, so Alpa introduces new grip for TC and on their website they mention an additional wake-up grip that will be optimized for the individual backs from PHASE Hasselblad etc.

The question is : since when does the H3D back need a wake-up cable...I have used mine for a very long time without. What gives?

Bob
Hi Bob,

Some Hasselblad backs seem to have a timing issue when used used with an Alpa or any camera that requires a pc type cable to sync the lens to the digital back. This timing problem shows up as streaks or sometimes a pink cast in the image.

One solution to this problem is a wake up cable or button as offered by Alpa. Another solution is the Kapture group one shot cable which essentially does the same thing.

It seems that some Hasselblad users have this problem and others not. I don't why this is.

Best,
Paul

PeterA

Dirty little Confession:

I have a set of Alpa shims ( of course) to go with the H adaptor I use. I have always looked at these with a combination of suspicion and fear. I do the arithmetic and ask myself - is it worth the trouble to go through the tedium of getting actuall 100% focus calibration on a certain day in a certain month at a certain aperture for a certain lens focussed on a certain distance? Will this level of perfection just make me uneasy about a different lens and a different aperture @ a different focus point?

these questions bring up more questions - my strategy - avoid the hassle - cos I use wides @ between F8-11 with focus (usually) @ less than 5 meters givng a theoretical hyperfocal 'room for error' of so much it doesn't matter.

better option for critical focus?

now I am seriously considering the arTec - especially since (apparently) I can get it in Phase or H mount now. The artec allows me to use the Sinar sliding back system - which is very robust and a 3x loup (with inbuilt hood) on a glass to get critical 100% focus through my lens choice at any aperture - if I so desire.

I will always keep my Alpa - because I can use the 12WA hand held at insanley slow shutter speeds - it is a great travel camera and street weapon - also - there is nothign sexier on the planet as far as camera gear goes - this is no smalll consideraiton. Finally - what I love the most about the Alpa?- it is a pure system - the photographer has no automation - only his or her brain. Quite refreshing actually.

I dont like the Alpa tilt mechanism - it smacks of too much add on - and not enough inbult - not for me - matched to no elegant way to use focussing glass - without resorting to taking back off and putting back on? - sorry life is too short. for that sort of anal obsessivenes and downright high risk activity.:salute:

Pete

PeterA

Hi Bob,

Some Hasselblad backs seem to have a timing issue when used used with an Alpa or any camera that requires a pc type cable to sync the lens to the digital back. This timing problem shows up as streaks or sometimes a pink cast in the image.

One solution to this problem is a wake up cable or button as offered by Alpa. Another solution is the Kapture group one shot cable which essentially does the same thing.

It seems that some Hasselblad users have this problem and others not. I don't why this is.

Best,
Paul
I have posted a threa don this issue a while back - and called it the pinky poos. Previously i thought it was a lens caste issue - requiring a shot be made through teh typical white perspex as a calibraton shot. i have never got around to testing - rather went through the pain of afert shot colour fixing.

On reflection and after reading what you have to say Paul - I think that ther emay be (at times) a timing issue involved because I haev had shots totally lost to heavy pink and megenta - liek teh camera didnt want 6to make teh shot in teh fiorst place and when it did fire - I got that result.

Frustratingly - I dont get teh pink magenta issue on every shot - most shots are just fine.

However if you could give me some information (by link? or IM) on teh cable I should be using to remove this error I woudl be very grateful - I use an H3D11-39 back and connect the lens shutter to the back into its in port.

Thanks
Pete

Man, I keep trying to talk myself into buying an Alpa, but it's just not working. The 12 SWA is too limited (though really seductive). The 12 Max just doesn't have enough movements to replace my M2 and the 12 XY is just silly big.

I keep thinking... maybe the SWA with a 28 could be my tall building camera... easier to deal with outside, easier to get that ultrawide lens focused... and soo sexy.

Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a Cameraholic.

PeterA

OMGosh - apologies about the spelling in previous post! :ROTFL::ROTFL: and too late to 'edit'..

Chris - the max and XY are at least rock solid - does that mean anything to your shooting? -:)

LoL, Jack... I do love that M Line 2. It is pretty damn solid. I tested the runout last night and found the 70m of rise to produce a variance of less than .001" Shift was a little sloppier at just under .004" but pretty damn good for a view camera, and good enough to give me sharp images on the P65+.

I'm guessing Peter is right that the Alpa's the most solid game in town, which is why I keep looking at them... just not flexible enough for everything I shoot.

Hell, I'm just thankful that we all have so many great tools to choose from considering what a really small market mfdb is!

-C

carstenw

:ROTFL: That is frigging hysterical!!! :ROTFL:

I took that shot of Guy like 4 years ago using HIS DMR and 180/2 R lens, first frame I ever shot with a DMR too. Not only that, I had to brush out a fencepost that was sticking out of his head when I created the avatar from it. Now, how it shows up in a "Cambo WRS" search is beyond me!
Yeah, pretty neat :) And ironcreek/getdpi hog the hits for the WRS :)

Google has really gone down the drain, IMO. I recall when it came out, and the first time I searched, bam!, 10 great hits on the first page. Next search, bam!, 10 more. Now I search for stuff with unusual spelling and it corrects it for me and includes hits for all kinds of shat I didn't search for, don't want to see, and can't turn off. I don't know what they are doing with the page rankings and search terms, but I am looking forward to the next serious competitor in the field to replace Google.

Christopher

Well, there won't be any in the near future. It's a little off topic, but Google does still a good job, I mean I tried all other NEW stuff and the second I tried some more difficult search stuff they all failed horribly...

The bigger Problem is that People are coding fu*** crap when creating web pages. I mean you just need to look at most of the code they use, sorry but it is just sad how lazy people are.