The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamyia ZD vs H3D with 22MP

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IIRC -- and it's been a long time ago that I shot Contax -- you could only manually set shutter speeds to 8 sec or use B, but the way it was designed you got up to 30 seconds automatically in Av mode. Maybe somebody that owns one will confirm this.

carstenw

Yup, but given that the camera has both manual and electronic shutter release holes, you can use B to get times of any length. I don't know how that interacts with MFDBs though, not having tried that.

thomas

you can use B to get times of any length. I don't know how that interacts with MFDBs though, not having tried that.
With a Phase back B mode doesn't work; so it's limited to the 8 seconds. Actually.
However you can use the DB like on a view camera - you just have to put a thin sheet of paper on the contacts of the DB so that there is no communication from camera to DB. You can use a flash sync and wakeup cable for long exposure in B mode. Works very well.

carstenw

Er, if the Contax can do exposures of any length with a cable release, the very worst case would be that it could not communicate this to the back, and so Phase could have provided a way to start the back manually? Or am I missing something?

carstenw

Well, one would imagine so, if it were really their favorite camera, but if it works with a piece of paper between the contacts, then all they would really need to do is to make a mode that behaves like that, no? Too weird.