The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone going for the IQ180 upgrade?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well they are different sensors. The IQ 180 being the latest tech witch I think a 5.4 instead of a 6

One thing you may not have noticed the upgrade path favors the IQ 180 a little better and for most current Phase users they have a P65+ so it would be a lateral not a upgrade. If i was a P65 it would be the IQ 180 path as it is I think a 6k difference between a IQ 160 Vs a IQ 180. So you kind of are given a choice there but it tends to favor the IQ 180.

But yes I agree the P65 sensor in the IQ 160 is very nice and very similar to its newer brother. Personally just can't swing the big upgrades from the P40+ so I will just go lateral for the tech of the IQ 140. The crop factor does not bother me much except in the finder and hopefully when the new body does come out the crop will not show in the finder. But that maybe a stretch.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For you Graham knowing your lenses the game has changed for Phase users with the Schneider glass now. I bought all three 55,80 and 110mm LS glass and to ME I love the look from these lenses and I'm a little giddy about that. It did change the game for the better. Not a area of concern which really only leaves the body to be improved next and Phase continues with more LS lenses. So things are looking up. Great backs, software, lenses. The DF is much better than previous stuff and when the new body does finally come out it should get much better and hopefully have more functions like a WL finder.

Steve Hendrix

Funny how everyone talks about the IQ180 and not the IQ160. If Phase just made these in a Rollei or Hy6 mount then the IQ160 would be the back for me, with the same 54x40mm sensor size as the IQ180, same screen and features, but very importantly, 1fps compared to the IQ180's 0.7.

Yes, it is strange to me that we haven't had more IQ160 orders. Even when discussing products with clients who would value the faster capture rate, the majority have gone for the IQ180. Factors that seem to have held sway are the higher resolution (not just full rez, but the 20MP Sensor Plus vs 15MP Sensor Plus), the fact it is newer technology, and the price difference is modest.

Brand new, the difference between IQ160 and IQ180 is $7,000. But if you're trading from a P45+ for example, then the difference is only $4,270. And most of our transactions have been upgrades.

Steve Hendrix