The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for some missing specs/info about Phase One backs

J

Jim2

I can't find anywhere about the weight of the phase one backs. I assume there aren't much difference between PXX+ and IQ1XX.

Also the lowest operating temperature rating is 32F - can they actually work in, say 10-15F?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They are not much heavier than a film back, but I do not have an exact weight. I have used mine in 5 degree F weather without any issues.

2jbourret

Jim,
Batteries (and fingers) don't last long at 10-15F below, but my P back works just fine at that temp., and I'm sure the IQ backs are no different.

J

Jim2

Jim,
Batteries (and fingers) don't last long at 10-15F below, but my P back works just fine at that temp., and I'm sure the IQ backs are no different.
yeah fingers would be an issue too in the below freezing temperatures. One of the destinations I'm hoping to visit one day is the Everest Base Camp. Not exactly sure what the typical temperatures there would be - I'll pick the warmest time of the year

PeterL

I don't have the weight numbers for the Phase backs either, but the Leaf Aptus-II is 600g, so the Phase is probably very close.

Cheers, -Peter

stephengilbert

Everest Base Camp? Enjoy the walk:

There are two ideal "weather windows" for Nepal. From the latter half of March until the first part of May temperatures are relatively warm, 10° to 15° warmer than in the fall. Mornings are bright and clear with the air slowly becoming hazier as the day progresses. The rhododendron forests in springtime are spectacular, with color displays that are "Himalayan" in beauty. June is warm and green with very few other trekkers – the sense of solitude is much greater than other seasons. However, it is more likely to include rain showers, hazy skies, wet and muddy trail conditions and possible flight delays. Afternoon rain showers do occur in June and mountain views can be sporadic or interspersed with clouds. The fall season, the latter half of October to early December, is an ideal time for the best mountain views. The days are typically sunny and clear with moderate temperatures, and the evenings are usually quite cold. Trekking to the very high Mt. Everest Base Camp region (at more than 17,100 feet) can include 0° temperatures at night and a 50% chance of snow anytime above 13,000 feet. During the day, above 15,000 feet, do not anticipate temperatures above 35°. Again, since your body is taking in less than half its normal supply of oxygen, 32° will feel colder than we are accustomed to at home. http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asia/nepal_everest.html

J

Jim2

Everest Base Camp? Enjoy the walk:

There are two ideal "weather windows" for Nepal. From the latter half of March until the first part of May temperatures are relatively warm, 10° to 15° warmer than in the fall. Mornings are bright and clear with the air slowly becoming hazier as the day progresses. The rhododendron forests in springtime are spectacular, with color displays that are "Himalayan" in beauty. June is warm and green with very few other trekkers – the sense of solitude is much greater than other seasons. However, it is more likely to include rain showers, hazy skies, wet and muddy trail conditions and possible flight delays. Afternoon rain showers do occur in June and mountain views can be sporadic or interspersed with clouds. The fall season, the latter half of October to early December, is an ideal time for the best mountain views. The days are typically sunny and clear with moderate temperatures, and the evenings are usually quite cold. Trekking to the very high Mt. Everest Base Camp region (at more than 17,100 feet) can include 0° temperatures at night and a 50% chance of snow anytime above 13,000 feet. During the day, above 15,000 feet, do not anticipate temperatures above 35°. Again, since your body is taking in less than half its normal supply of oxygen, 32° will feel colder than we are accustomed to at home. http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asia/nepal_everest.html
Sounds awesome! Thanks for posting that info. I might have to go live in a village nearby for a month to get used to the cold, and the altitude. Also the Annapurna is on my list.