The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

jps

Hi Graham
congrats on your purchase! I am very interested to hear your report on it. Am sure that you will make it sing.It is a sweet system.Ive had a Hy6 for awhile now with various backs-sinar75 plus leaf 10 and now12. The 12 and the camera are a great combination.The only real(a minor one) negative is that it eats batteries.- Will be interested to see what workflow you use. I am shooting to card then opening in Leafcapture - saving as mos then importing to lightroom using the DNG editor to build profiles - with good results.
how many sleeps do you have before the back arrives?!

Cheers JOHN

Graham Mitchell

The only real(a minor one) negative is that it eats batteries.-
I will have a total of 5 batteries. Should be enough, but thanks for the warning.

Will be interested to see what workflow you use. I am shooting to card then opening in Leafcapture - saving as mos then importing to lightroom using the DNG editor to build profiles - with good results.
Have you considered Capture One? I will be running some files through various workflows and seeing which produces best results and which suits me best. I like the LR workflow but I did some noise tests using an ISO 800 sample file and C1 was able to give me a better noise removal than LR. I also quite like C1's self-contained sessions which can be moved around and archived easily. Unless I'm mistaken, LR builds a huge database of preview files which keeps growing even after you have archived the source files. Anyway, too soon to make a final call - will keep you posted.

how many sleeps do you have before the back arrives?!
Probably around 6 nights, but no sleep ;)

jps

Hi Graham

Yes I do use C1 on occasion -however I find the lightroom workflow easier and like the flexible DAM so I manage all my photos via lightroom and edit in C1 when required. . I use mainly iso 50 and 100 so NR is not a issue for me. You can manage previews via prefs. to discard them after a certain time.
try to get some sleep!
Cheers JOHN

kuau

Workshop Member
Just to clarify - has MLU and shutter release? Would be nice. The Leaf remote (plugs in to the back) only has shutter release.
On my Leaf Hy6 i hit the MLU button, then use a inexpensive electronic cable release that plugs into my Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI back and works like a charm. I goes sif shooting film you would still need the expensive rollie cable release.

Though after shooting this weekend, I wonder if the whole MLU / cable release really makes a difference, yes the mirror is very well dampened and also leaf shutter so basically no vibration which is good news for long lens shooting, my longest is the 250mm Zeiss PQS, which I have had no problem with at all shutter speeds.

In regards to batteries, I have 3, I have gotten at least 100 captures per battery, I think the display on the Aptus back is the big battery drain.

Steven

Graham Mitchell

I got the Leaf back today!

Looks great together with the camera - and I can run both the camera and back from the one battery, as I'd hoped. I can also shoot tethered directly with a Macbook Pro, which I was told is not normally possible without a powered Firewire hub. Perhaps that's due to the power the Leaf receives from the camera battery.

I must thank my local dealer (Bryan) and Yair (Leaf) and Paul (Phase One) for chipping in and surprising me with a dual battery charger as a gift. Very thoughtful, guys!

So far I have just updated the back software and run a few tests. Will report back when I have more to say.

kuau

Workshop Member
Graham :)
Excellent, Can't wait to see some images.
Quick update. I got my Q=Base yesterday, took me a while to figure out, but after practicing and making sure it was in the correct "mode" to accept the camera, works good. Nice not having to add a plate to the bottom of the Hy6,
Now I just got my Sinar arTec back from Sinar today finally, so now figuring out how that works.
Steven