Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Interiors with MF

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shooting Interiors with MF

Well I am on a two hour break and have to get back to shoot the night moody shots . But i nailed a couple this morning that I really like. Okay fess up time , i would be totally screwed without the mamiya 28mm. Every shot today has been the 28mm not only because I want to but need too. Need wides here folks no question about it or i would be panning all day. Gear on hand 3 Elinchrom 600 mono's , 1 Ranger pack and 2 heads and a Nikon SB 28 and Metz 54. Seems like that is working out better than i thought plenty of power F12 all day pretty much at ISO 100. Would not mind having a second ranger pack to be honest. But i have used every head on every shot . Shooting the P25 plus tethered to a MacBook Pro with C1 4.5 Pro. Funnny thing MF folks is every time someone walks by the laptop I hear , wow look at the detail. Tell me that don't make the pain go away on writing the check. I wish I had the Alpa but seriously i still need a 28mm, so in the end pretty happy I bought the Mamiya . It may not be perfect but it get's it done. Okay these are processed real fast and straight from the can.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Shooting Interiors with MF

We can see a few of your lights reflecting off the framed image that is reflecting in the big mirror. Doncha just hate it when that happens . Good news is that's an easy one to clone!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more all 28mm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice set -- and nicely balanced with the outside light!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    We can see all the lights reflecting off the framed image that is reflecting in the big mirror. Doncha just hate it when that happens . Good news is that's an easy one to clone!

Yea i saw that I think i have one with it clean. Rushing throw the pile. I use the laptop as my Polaroid

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trying to find my happy spot with the kitchen . Acceptable reflections is what i need to settle on. I have a whole slew of these and need to find one that makes me smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

have to do some airbrushing I HATE ELECTRICAL PLATES. So they will go the bar is bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the start hopefully get some more good ones tonight. Client loves them so that is what counts

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Guy,
    How are you getting the interior and exterior to both be properly exposed in the same image?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously just having enough flash power . I am around F12 f14 with the strobes and shooting at 1/100 or 1/125. Bottom line you do NOT have to have a leaf shutter just plenty of juice. The leaf shutter really is when you want to shoot more wide open outside and you can crank the shutter up to compensate for being open,here the focal plane would be tougher to deal with . But you can get around this stuff and certain jobs it won't matter , In this case plenty of strobe and frankly I don't have a lot going really

The kitchen I was shooting about 1/25 the living room with direct view of outside up to 1/100 or 1/125

Actually this is 1/5th of a second at F14. This is processed better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots
    BUT i do think they are in need
    of a DECORATIVE Artist to put some Atmosphere
    into the Walls
    Then your MF shots will Truly Shine even more

Is this up for sale ?
    best-h

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i like em' a little brighter, like the first two. also a little more light on some central focal point, also seen in the first two

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They could use it Helen. 1.6 million spec home. The client is the builder so I have to be careful about shooting furniture per say. Trying to get there design in there but a little lighter I agree I could open them up some. I did these pretty quick on processing and did not adjust anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bathroom from Hell. LOL Very hard to shoot this one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say this Mamiya 28mm is much better than what some talk about. These images are sharp even the corners. I don't see any smearing. I also used my secret corner sharpnes sauce on them too. Love the corrections C1 put in and there not done yet. Well off to bed have a sunrise shot

Post Thanks / Like

what a great series, Ive been interested what exposures MF would require for interiors. The F12-14.... wow, I get away with F4.5 and can get 3+ft to infinity on 22mm EFL, which is a lot easier on strobes. Just think about apertures for deeper spaces of around 30ft,.....yikes!

this is that 30ft deep interior moment, 1/30th F4.5 iso1000 on E3, i had no choice but to let the far window blow out not having enough strobes to cover the space. Ugly shadows result....

Joseph: Put the camera in manual mode, first you set the aperture for the DoF required, then you set the shutter to cut off the light through the windows, in bright outdoor conditions you might get quite high shutter speeds out to 1/320th, provided your gear will still sync the flash at those speeds.

You can quickly determine the exposure by going to the window and metering the outdoor scene at the aperture required

This means the strobes will have to light the interior, and were sometimes TTL can not adequately calculate the exposure, you might have to go full manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Used 4 strobes to fill this in with fill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love happy accidents

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Riley,
    Thank you for your explanation. It sounds like you have to have some powerful strobes.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joseph pretty close to a before and after applying strobes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ramos View Post
    Riley,
    Thank you for your explanation. It sounds like you have to have some powerful strobes.
    Thanks
    Joseph, you are quite welcome
    actually i dont use much flash power at all, mostly i have a single camera mounted FL50, and I shoot about 1/3 stop below ambient light and roll up the iso for exposure. Using flash just for fill and to maintain some semblance of white balance. All these are single camera mounted flash, the flash generated shadows give it away

i make more use of available light, and i use whatever i can get from tungsten sources through open doorways to daylight coming through windows. This often means that windows blow out a bit, but that isnt so important where there isnt much of a view. In Guy's case he had no choice but to fill the place with strobe light to maintain his DoF and keep the outside view well exposed. MF format cameras are not known for good iso performance, 4/3rds can hold its own to iso800, which happens to be a useful range in this racket.
    Last edited by Riley; 29th October 2008 at 12:36.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are there any good tutorials for lighting interiors with multiple lights? From what I see of your work Guy and that of all good interior guys, the light is extremely even througout, even when used for accent. How is this done?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a 6 million dollar house that I had to shoot last Friday
    http://homesite.obeo.com/viewer/defa...=&locale=en-US

I hate when they wont stage a multi-million dollar home.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Makes it nice when they stage them. This house I did they did a nice job on it pretty much.

Ben obviously practice but shooting tethered is very helpful to see what really is going on.
    Some lights are on softbox. One was a beauty dish which i find very useful since it throws out very nice soft light with a small profile to the unit. Than I use 7 inch reflectors also with a white diffusion sock on them. Or sometimes i will directly bounce into the ceiling. Here you have to be careful though if the ceiling is part of the image. Many of mine are because for a builder you want to show the house lines and such

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So let me see if I have this right, what ever the exposure is for view thru window for your given f stop is what you shoot interior at and you use strobes or flashes for fill and to get light up in interior to match outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Joseph figure the sun rule 125 at f16 for ISO 100 for bright daylight. Now that will decrease some going through windows and glass doors and such. Anytime i see the windows as a major part of it , i already know to go to 1/125 and than try and get enough power from the flash to match or really maybe let the outside go a stop brighter than the inside . Looks more natural

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Have some of these images had perspective correction done?; they look a little odd to me. It may be the 28mm's wideness... then again I have just got some new glasses, LOL.

Well done on balancing the lights, good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Guy as far as the light setup. I normally bounce all the lights off the back wall or the ceiling. Only problem is when they paint with that really bright designer paint. It throws a weird color cast.

All my clients want to see through the windows, especially with the views in the bay area. That is crucial to the builders and RE agents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re perspective with the 28 --- it is a really wide, rectilinear lens, and as such will elongate circular objects toward the center of the image. But, when cramped for shooting distance, you don't have much choice.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really not much can be done except start doing Pano's with a longer lens. I did pretty good here on this gig maybe one or two have a little odd look but it is not to bad . Getting back and going longer is not always a option but when working with wides this will happen so you just need to watch yourself sometimes and sometimes i will use it for effect also. Thanks for the comments on the lighting. We will do another lighting workshop but this time in Phoenix and may change the venue up also and include this type of work and location stuff. Lighting is fun , i wish more folks would get into it more

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little mood lighting. I actually have lights going here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Little mood lighting. I actually have lights going here
    I can hear the violins and the glasses clinking in the background.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After all that i just want to sit in the Jacuzzi , my back is toast. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, the pool shot is stunning, excellent work!

So how much is this house again? Maybe if I sell out of my over-priced Silicon Valley house, I could swing it...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1.6 but I can get you a deal.

This is 4600 sq ft. designed for the over 50 crowd. YOU

BTW this is Carefree which interestingly enough is the richest TOWN in America .

jmvdigital

Wow Guy! I'd love to be sitting in there right about now.

Great shots throughout this thread, btw. You guys make interiors look easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Justin . Starting to process the mother load , have a few more . That was a 6 second exposure at F11 and i popped two strobes off . The foreground had a warming gel and the Ranger was aimed at the Fireplace

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pre dawn with a 55mm and dawn with a 80mm on a 14ft ladder . I rigged the tripod with clamps and such to get as high as i could. Not happy with the Pre dawn , no clouds at all. Boring

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Watch this. C1 correcting for distortion with the 35mm mamiya defaults . Watch the right lines. before and after. See it take the bulge out also. Cool stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little more pool glow and different angle

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the info. I love how so many people are so willing to give advice and knowledge here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    1.6 but I can get you a deal.

This is 4600 sq ft. designed for the over 50 crowd. YOU

BTW this is Carefree which interestingly enough is the richest TOWN in America .
    1.6... amazing how affordable that sounds when you eliminate all the zero's.

Is it the same general community and area as Cave Creek?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes same area. Really nice up here . I am about 8 miles South . Having the Cave Creek zip code helps with property taxes. Heck we could do a workshop right in Cave Creek, still have cowboys here and real ones. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh heck went this far with images . Just keep posting them . I love this forum for one particular reason we show IMAGES

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For some reason I like this perspective

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

guy...are you just using the viewfinder grid lines to set verticals, assuming you have them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the last one, Guy, the corners look a little soft. What f-stop is that image shot at? How far have you found you need to stop down to eliminate weakness in the corners before and after the new version of C1? By the way, very nice interior shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    guy...are you just using the viewfinder grid lines to set verticals, assuming you have them?
    John no grid lines in camera . I do use the P25 crop frame lines though a lot and that seems to help. One other thing I do with my tripod and reason i got the Panning clamp from RRS is a square the head in the sprit level dead on in the middle . Than put the camera on, this way i know everything is dead perfect to start

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    On the last one, Guy, the corners look a little soft. What f-stop is that image shot at? How far have you found you need to stop down to eliminate weakness in the corners before and after the new version of C1? By the way, very nice interior shots.
    This is a great question Kurt . I am really close to these pots and plants so DOF is really hard on them and at F11 here even though sounds like good enough it is not to carry.

I think F16 is the magic F stop with the 28mm than do the corner sharpness that i created with the 35mm profile since the 28mm profile is not out yet in corner sharpness in C1 yet. So i do have to cheat with the one I created which does a nice job. That plant shot i did want to throw it out some and viewer focus on the house

But this is something I need to play around with. I notice if something is close than my corners are more soft than something further away in the corners. I think this has to do with curvature of the lens and maybe Doug can touch on this or someone that knows the tech side on optics. But this does seem to be the case the front element is very curved. Great question Kurt

Now I would say i could probably do better with a tech camera and a Rodenstock 28mm but here again I may still be there shooting. LOL The mamiya it is obviously easier to work with a camera body . Tech camera's I would have to keep going back to the lens cock the shutter and go through that routine and also guess at focusing. Results will most likely be better in some cases but the Mamiya is just easier to work with and has many other uses for me that a tech camera can't do. Compromise is something that we get to realize a lot . The mamiya is obviously no slouch as we see how damn sharp it really is , but we are fighting a retro focus design too and these corners can create issues. When C1 does come out with the 28mm corner sharpness default i am sure it will get much better and for now just use my secret sauce on it . In the end though overall i would rather have it in my bag than not over a tech camera. But that is me and i have more uses for the 28mm than just interior work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt F12 sharp as a tack. Go figure