The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HY6 mod2

Geoff

How many days of dreaming to go? I could pass on upgrades, if there were some minor improvements....

EH21

I think a lot of us were expecting to hear something about the 35mm flektagon, but rumor about a 2nd version of the body is really a surprise. It works really very well, but I'd be happy to see what they've come up with if this rumor is real!

Geoff

Lets get this right: so far, a Chinese distributor is mentioning a new model improvement, without details (at least that I could find). No one I know knows anything about this.... it might be true, or it might not be. There are no modifications or upgrades announced as of yet. We all hope for something, but I suppose we will have to wait and see if anything emerges.

DeckardTrinity

Somehow this actually does not surprise me. I had a hunch that there might be something in the works when the Credo got the official Hy6 mount blessing. I guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks to see what shakes out.

Graham Mitchell

There's not much to improve, but having a real multi-point AF system would be fantastic. The current AF is very accurate but is held back by being a one-point system.
Can't think of anything else I really want to see improved. Perhaps the switches on the left side could be a little more solid.

EH21

Yes, the camera is already very good. I can think of some firmware updates that would be useful such as incorporating the white balance sensor already in the camera. I don't use the AF right now very much, but I guess if they had more points I might? There are some areas such as the frame around the grip display that are easy to damage that they might beef up, but overall there are not that many things wrong - and a whole lot of things right about the Hy6.

Geoff

A tad more robust... I had one of the strap lugs come disconnected, beef up the switches, and maybe a removable handle? The rest of it is just lovely...

DeckardTrinity

I'm always amazed when I take the lens & back off, and remove the battery from the handle, just how light the body itself is. Truly an elegant machine for capturing images.

Geoff

Just found on the newly updated DHW website:

""Zur Photokina 2012 stellt DHW Fototechnik eine stark weiterentwickelte Hy6 vor. Sie wird den Namen Hy6 Mod 2 tragen.Durch die vom Lizenzinhaber erhaltenen Rechte sind weitere Modifizierungen (Firmware/Hardware) möglich. Die Produktion der Hy6 Mod 2 sowie des bekannten Zubehörs erfolgt auch weiterhin in Braunschweig."

or google translated, with a bit of help:

"At the Photokina 2012 DHW photographic technology presents a strongly developed Hy6. It will bear the name Hy6 mod 2. With rights received from the licensee, further modifications (firmware/hardware) are possible. Production of the Hy6 mod 2, as well as of the famous accessories, continues in Braunschweig."

EH21

Good find Geoff!

Now we just need to know what's improved and if there will be an option to upgrade existing bodies like before!

Anders_HK

Same as seems all who use Hy6 I am already very happy with my Hy6 as is. That makes very interesting to find out, indeed what is in line to improve it further?? :D

What I do find interesting in message on DHW website is: "With rights received from the licensee, further modifications (firmware/hardware) are possible."

From what I understand rights are with Leaf (thus essentially Phase One), which makes me very curious indeed... :thumbs:

Best regards,
Anders

Geoff

There was once a rumor that the Leaf rights ended up with Kodak; if this was true, perhaps DHW was able to negotiate the right to modify the camera with a moribund Kodak having much less interest today.

Alls to suggest the changes might be minor.... but still quite welcome!

Anders_HK

There was once a rumor that the Leaf rights ended up with Kodak; if this was true, perhaps DHW was able to negotiate the right to modify the camera with a moribund Kodak having much less interest today.

Alls to suggest the changes might be minor.... but still quite welcome!
There have been rumors of where were rights, because went rather quiet in wake of Hy6 "messup" years back. What I stated of that rights are with Leaf is indeed from who I know is a reliable source. Perhaps Photokina will clarify?