Site Sponsors

Thread: rollei 6008 integral and P20??

det05

Question rollei 6008 integral and P20??

Hi,
    in order for my rollei 6008i to work with the db20p version of the p20 back made for its new sibling 6008 AF, must I sent it for modification to unlock some cache or wire up something?

i read here that the 6008i has to work with cables for the db20p, is it true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: rollei 6008 integral and P20??

i do not know the inner works, but one of my students had his combination, and it had horrible problems. every other shot was a malfunction: the back beeped, a red light would go off, and an image would be all magenta with partially scrambled pixels. then i saw the same thing with a 6008AF. it was for sure an issue with bodies, as in the second instance everything went fine when the body was replaced with a later serial number version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    every other shot was a malfunction: the back beeped, a red light would go off, and an image would be all magenta with partially scrambled pixels.
    My 6008i does this with my Imacon 132C if I try to use the DIN cable. I switched to using PC sync and haven't had any problems since.

My guess is live view won't work (with the 132C) without the DIN cable, but it was pretty rubbish on this back anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    i do not know the inner works, but one of my students had his combination, and it had horrible problems. every other shot was a malfunction: the back beeped, a red light would go off, and an image would be all magenta with partially scrambled pixels. then i saw the same thing with a 6008AF. it was for sure an issue with bodies, as in the second instance everything went fine when the body was replaced with a later serial number version.
    Some time ago, a conversation with the factory (via phone) left the follwing impression: that in general the earlier 6008i's would not interface seamlessly with the dp20's, but the later 6008i's would. On the other hand, the change was not identified by a particular moment, or serial number - but rather the cameras should be tested for this.

This suggested some internal change to the electronics that may have been introduced at a moment, in some cameras, and not in others. The best way to avoid this (I think) is to use the 6008AF as the base for the dp20, or better yet, to get the kit of camera and back together. The kit would have been aligned at the factory, and should perform well.

Geoff
    (first post at GetDPI)

det05

thanks Geoff, a great help in ur first post.
    guess i may have to forego this setup.

Post Thanks / Like

A Sinar back will work on any of the 6008s without modification, and you can get a larger sensor as well. With the price of the new e54 down to €6K, refurbished e22s and e54s are really affordable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the forum Geoff.
    Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

edwinb

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    A Sinar back will work on any of the 6008s without modification, and you can get a larger sensor as well. With the price of the new e54 down to 6K, refurbished e22s and e54s are really affordable.
    if it helps here are the sinar 54-75 rollei 6008 adaptor details

Edwin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwinb View Post
    if it helps here are the sinar 54-75 rollei 6008 adaptor details

Edwin
    N.B.: Those are not the adapters for the eMotion series though

edwinb

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    N.B.: Those are not the adapters for the eMotion series though
    your right! those are here:- Sinar emotion cameraback adaptors
    Edwin

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the welcoming.
    As to the back on the older 6008i, another option is simply to find another 6008i, or 6008AF. Not quite pricey in today's market, altho Graham is right about the Sinar back as well.

Just getting a 6008AF with dp20 back, and will report back any issues. Its been said that some 6008AF's that were not bundled at the factory with the dp20 may need a minor elec adjustment to combine the "wake up" call for both camera and back. This can be done in NJ, not major.

The issue of all the bits working together is always a problem. Getting all those hard drives to be asleep and awake when they are supposed to be is kind of like putting kids to bed. Sometimes they behave, and sometimes not!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have been seeing success with the 6008AF and dP20; see the so-named thread

Post Thanks / Like

You need a resister added to the camera in order to avoid the back going to sleep which it will do if the camera goes to sleep without the mod. It's a simple modification and can be done by Rollei Hensel service in NJ, or probably your local Rollei service. You can also shoot this combination keeping in mind that the camera goes to sleep at 40 sec in single point metering and 4mins in multipoint metering modes. If you are shooting more frequently than the 40 sec or 4 mins then you will not experience the back going to sleep and getting the double shot error on the back. You can also make a wake up cable for the back, but probably easier to just get the camera serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by det05 View Post
    Hi,
    in order for my rollei 6008i to work with the db20p version of the p20 back made for its new sibling 6008 AF, must I sent it for modification to unlock some cache or wire up something?

i read here that the 6008i has to work with cables for the db20p, is it true?