Site Sponsors

Thread: Tripod / Tech question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tripod / Tech question

Hi

Need some suggestions,

Looking for a lighter set up to use with my Cambo RS - Lenes 28mm thru 120mm. (and possibly an AS F Camera)

I am using the RRS Versa TVC- 33 / three section w/ leveling base and the AS Cube. Is a great set up but is heavy and always have too much stuff.

Don't want compromise stability or quality.

I have a Gitzo GT2531EX 6X Carbon Fiber Explorer Tripod and would consider getting the AS D4 - is this viable?

---- Mistake I have the Gitzo GT 2531 --

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
    Last edited by alajuela; 1st September 2013 at 19:13.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tripod / Tech question

I use the equivalent of the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 three-section tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 for my Pentax 645D with focal lengths up to 300mm. I basically used this tripod (my model is called the Carbone 441 and I replaced the standard center column with the short version) with my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612 with focal lengths up to 150mm. That should carry a Cambo without much difficulty. I am happy to carry this tripod all day over all kinds of terrain.

I have no idea about your Gitzo, but I have an old Gitzo Reporter I carried in the mountains. It was good because it was light, but it was always too short.

I would take an Arca Swiss P0 over a D4. It is lighter and more compact. I have no problems doing five minute exposures with the P0 on my tripod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tough to give up the cube. I have the 34L with cube and 24L with RRS B40. The 24L/B40 combo is tiny compared to the 34L/Cube, but quite stable, and folds quite compact.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Tough to give up the cube. I have the 34L with cube and 24L with RRS B40. The 24L/B40 combo is tiny compared to the 34L/Cube, but quite stable, and folds quite compact.
    Hi

Thanks

I would not give up my RRS / Cube set up - it's too good. But need some thing that is lighter and still do the job when walking about. I am wondering if is not a bit over kill at least for the the RS. The F Line AS, still might need it.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I use the equivalent of the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 three-section tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 for my Pentax 645D with focal lengths up to 300mm. I basically used this tripod (my model is called the Carbone 441 and I replaced the standard center column with the short version) with my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612 with focal lengths up to 150mm. That should carry a Cambo without much difficulty. I am happy to carry this tripod all day over all kinds of terrain.

I have no idea about your Gitzo, but I have an old Gitzo Reporter I carried in the mountains. It was good because it was light, but it was always too short.

I would take an Arca Swiss P0 over a D4. It is lighter and more compact. I have no problems doing five minute exposures with the P0 on my tripod.
    Hi Will

Made mistake on OP is not the EX - EX is good for marco -

I will try and compare the spec of Carbone 441 with the Gitzo GT 2531 which is rated at Load 12kg, 3 sections and weights 3 lbs.

This is for City shooting - I'm in Shanghai -- Gotta get lighter. Not getting younger

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am currently using the Cube with a RRS TQC-14 Quick-Column Series 1 Tripod and with a RMdi technical camera under circumstances where I need to travel lite (usually by plane); technically, I have placed a 1" pvc spacer on the quick column so as to raise it high enough off the base to accommodate the Cube. When I can do so, I use a heavier tripod. I rarely have an exposure longer than 15 seconds and have not noted any reduction in sharpness using the TQC-14. I am 5' 8" and rarely need to extend the quick column very high. I do excercise greater care in positioning the tripod because it is very light. This tripod is rated at 25 lbs and you might consider it for circumstances where you need to travel lite. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post
    I am currently using the Cube with a RRS TQC-14 Quick-Column Series 1 Tripod and with a RMdi technical camera under circumstances where I need to travel lite (usually by plane); technically, I have placed a 1" pvc spacer on the quick column so as to raise it high enough off the base to accommodate the Cube. When I can do so, I use a heavier tripod. I rarely have an exposure longer than 15 seconds and have not noted any reduction in sharpness using the TQC-14. I am 5' 8" and rarely need to extend the quick column very high. I do excercise greater care in positioning the tripod because it is very light. This tripod is rated at 25 lbs and you might consider it for circumstances where you need to travel lite. Charles
    Thanks Charles - It sounds like my Gitzo compares favorably with the RRS TQC-14 - I am 5'10 and usually I find I rarely extend any of my tripods completely, as most of my shooting is NOT in the field but on level ground,

Also found I like to always consider the lower perspective. This sounds like a good alternative for walking about and / or biking. Good to know you are satisfied with this set up under the right circumstances.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Phil,

I'm using the RRS TVC-24 as my lightweight tripod with the Cambo WRS (and Phase DF). It's usually paired with the Cube. (I use the RRS quick release which allows me to easily swap out different heads). I think the D4 will shave some weight and also may be slightly slimmer in profile than the Cube.

If I really want a lighter hiking solution, I can swap out and simply use the RRS PCL-1 clamp and RRS leveling base as my head---though I'd rather not forego the Cube.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Phil,

I'm using the RRS TVC-24 as my lightweight tripod with the Cambo WRS (and Phase DF). It's usually paired with the Cube. (I use the RRS quick release which allows me to easily swap out different heads). I think the D4 will shave some weight and also may be slightly slimmer in profile than the Cube.

If I really want a lighter hiking solution, I can swap out and simply use the RRS PCL-1 clamp and RRS leveling base as my head---though I'd rather not forego the Cube.

Ken
    Thanks Ken
    Weight wise compared to my Gitzo I would be going up only .2 lbs. but at a cost of about 1,000 usd for "another" new tripod.

The TVC - 24 has higher load than the Gitzo, which is more secure and really do like the RRS TVC-33 tripod setup I have with leveling base / cube - so easy / fast to zero everything out. I am anal like that and dialing it in is so cool.

The TVC - 24 might be better for the DF (and the AS F line) also -- so far I am leaning towards getting the D4 -- then make a decision about the Gitzo (which I have) and the TVC - 24 to have a complete lighter weight kit.

Decisions $$$$$ Decisions $$$$ Decisions $$$

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The RRS 24 with leveling base and PCL clamp (no ball head) make a great lightweight solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have the Gitzo GT2530 which is basically identical to yours. It is a very stable tripod and my favorite Gitzo. (I have three). I use it with a BH55 or smaller ball head and it is a superb setup with my Arca Swiss rm3di or my Canon's. It is my tripod of choice to take hiking. The AS D4 should make a great team with the Gitzo.

I also love the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp. I use it one every head I own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    The RRS 24 with leveling base and PCL clamp (no ball head) make a great lightweight solution.
    Thanks Steve

I have tried that it does work on my Gitzo with my Canon- an option

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    Hi, I have the Gitzo GT2530 which is basically identical to yours. It is a very stable tripod and my favorite Gitzo. (I have three). I use it with a BH55 or smaller ball head and it is a superb setup with my Arca Swiss rm3di or my Canon's. It is my tripod of choice to take hiking. The AS D4 should make a great team with the Gitzo.

I also love the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp. I use it one every head I own.
    Thanks Ken

This is good to know

This is the way I am leaning at the moment. The Gitzo 3521 was my first "modern" tripod (with the Novoflex Classic Ball 3 and RRS plates) and it has served me well.
    I have to impose some self discipline and stop packing the "kitchen sink" . The truth is every time I take less the more I enjoy.

I think start with the D4 - then see.

Thanks

Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Hi Will

Made mistake on OP is not the EX - EX is good for marco -

I will try and compare the spec of Carbone 441 with the Gitzo GT 2531 which is rated at Load 12kg, 3 sections and weights 3 lbs.

This is for City shooting - I'm in Shanghai -- Gotta get lighter. Not getting younger

Thanks

Phil
    The Carbone 441 was replaced with the 055PRO series. It is rated for 8kg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The Carbone 441 was replaced with the 055PRO series. It is rated for 8kg.
    Thanks Will

That's good news!! I think I'll start with my Gitzo I already have if this is good for you with your kit, then based on all the feed back, and others using their techs, the actual tripod is nothing to worry about.
    On less thing to get now, got too much!! need more good images!!!!
    Thanks for following up
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to everyone, for sharing !!!!!!!

Best

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone got hiking experience with the RRS 24L?

Recently bought the RRS 34L when my Gitzo broke during a trip in Oregon. It's a fantastic tripod albeit somewhat heavy for hiking (for my taste)
    So I'm thinking to get a RRS 24L also as I like to have the possibility to extend the legs more when standing on a hillside or similar.

The idea of skipping the ball head and instead just have a levelling base + pano clamp sounds great...

Peter
    Peter
    My website

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the RRS 24L with a AS Z1 double pan head. I use it for everything. It's maybe a little heavy for a REAL hiking tripod but its not bad either. I could lighten the load with maybe just just a leveling base and clamp as the Z1 is about as heavy as the cube. With a tech cam that would be a good setup and lighter. Frankly I have one tripod and I chose this as it. One needs to remember a 2 series RRS is equivalent to a 3 series Gitzo. The numbers can be confusing between them.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BYW I was a Gitzo guy for many many years and switched to RRS. I just like them better now.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is getting more and more tempting - I think I'll get the D4 first and then see, I will be back in the States in November, then see about calling RRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also the As PO as mentioned is a nice light weight head for travel as mentioned the big limitation is I believe it will only tilt down about 15 degrees. Which sometimes can be a issue depending on what your doing but it is light weight a lot but very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

The D4 is the lightest geared solution there is and is still a stable platform. So if you want geared, it's the right choice for sure. I know I rather carry a couple of hundred grams extra to get the gears than use a ballhead, but that's personal preference.

The tripod is more difficult, there's got to be a tradeoff. If it should handle hard winds, long lenses, highest resolution backs and full height without vibration issues it will become heavy, but say if you in hard winds only use it at low positions, or not plan to shoot in hard winds at all, you can get away with a lighter tripod. Lower tripods get lighter too of course. However I don't know of any good source to find out exactly how much you can compromise before vibration starts becoming an issue. May require some testing.

I use a gitzo series 3 tripod when hiking, but I see some of you get good results with series 2.

I think tripods with built-in leveling bases with pano function are really good when you want to combine low weight, high stability and good economy in one. However, it will depend on your shooting style if that works. One reason I went with the D4 is it's flexibility and wide movement range. On a long hike I don't want to end up seeing a great subject on the ground but not being able to point the camera down to make a photograph. Yes, 90% of the time I shoot with the camera level (and adjust horizon by shifting the back), but still 10% I point it up or down in varying degrees and sometimes a leveling head don't have the range I need.
    Last edited by torger; 2nd September 2013 at 08:30.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Also the As PO as mentioned is a nice light weight head for travel as mentioned the big limitation is I believe it will only tilt down about 15 degrees. Which sometimes can be a issue depending on what your doing but it is light weight a lot but very strong.
    The P0 tilts down, or up for that matter, 90 degrees. But you are spot on about being a great travel head.

I forgot, I actually have a picture of my tripod and head with the 645D taking a 30 second exposure through a ND filter--note the little cover on the viewfinder to cut light coming in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Will maybe its the P1 I'm thinking of. One if them has that limitation. Been awhile so I forget

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gitzo 3532 LS.
    It weighs just below 2 kg but can easily holds 500-600mm lenses (by Arthur Morris's claim). I've been using it with a Canon 400mm f/2.8 (heavier than 500mm) w/o any problems. It's more than adequate for any medium formats.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone make a pan-tilt head that takes arca swiss plates?

I don't like ball heads, and the cube is overkill for my purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    Does anyone make a pan-tilt head that takes arca swiss plates?

I don't like ball heads, and the cube is overkill for my purposes.
    Hi

Have you looked at the D4 from Arca Swiss? They make a geared and non geared version.

Or look at the Induro PHQ3

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

The induro looks, great, thanks. Never heard of the company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    The induro looks, great, thanks. Never heard of the company.
    Hi

Good Pan / Tilt and reasonably priced

Capture Integration in Atlanta 877 - 217 - 9870 - Ask for Dave - if he is unavailable anybody there can help - great guys, great service , great price

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Gitzo 1228 and the Linhof 3d Micro without quickfix.

The 1228 is as light as they come and still sturdy enough (you can tie a weight at bottom for windy situations). The 3d Micro is much smaller than the Cube although it sacrifices movement as it's a leveling head only.

The whole setup only weights about 6 pounds. Supports my Alpa XY plus lens and back just fine
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I have a Gitzo G1227 mk 2, more than 10 years old. I am quite happy with it's rigidity, but it feels a bit heavy (like all tripods I suppose) when hiking with my Factum. I seem to remember it's rated at something like 8kg of load.

I am looking for new tripod legs, with about the same rigidity (or even a bit less) and height (about 160 cm, without central column, which I have removed).

So:
    - Do you know what is the current Gitzo model corresponding to my 10-year old antique? Unfortunately, getting RRS products in Europe is a bit complicated, especially if you want to see them beforehand. Otherwise, I probably would have gone for the 1 series, although it is quit low.

- What the lightest Gitzo you would put your tech-cam on ? I also have a zero series Basalt Gitzo also, but that feel really flimzy (technical term) with any weight on it. So I'm guessing it would be a series 1 or 2 Gitzo. The Systematics are quite nice, but maybe overkill for hiking.

Thanks !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, getting RRS products in Europe is a bit complicated, especially if you want to see them beforehand.
    I got a couple of RRS clamps etc. from Tier-Foto - Augenblicke-eingefangen Tierbilder aus MV - Fotos Tiere Bild Bilder.

Here's a link to the RRS tripods:

Dreibein-Stative - Karbon-Stative - Really Right Stuff - Augenblicke-eingefangen-Shop

Getting them shipped by from the States is no problem either - but, as your write, in this case you can't send them back.

As to Gitzo: I'd go for a carbon tripod in the Series 3 - I think this series is a good compromise between weight and stability.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,
    I have a Gitzo G1227 mk 2, more than 10 years old. I am quite happy with it's rigidity, but it feels a bit heavy (like all tripods I suppose) when hiking with my Factum. I seem to remember it's rated at something like 8kg of load.

I am looking for new tripod legs, with about the same rigidity (or even a bit less) and height (about 160 cm, without central column, which I have removed).

So:
    - Do you know what is the current Gitzo model corresponding to my 10-year old antique? Unfortunately, getting RRS products in Europe is a bit complicated, especially if you want to see them beforehand. Otherwise, I probably would have gone for the 1 series, although it is quit low.

- What the lightest Gitzo you would put your tech-cam on ? I also have a zero series Basalt Gitzo also, but that feel really flimzy (technical term) with any weight on it. So I'm guessing it would be a series 1 or 2 Gitzo. The Systematics are quite nice, but maybe overkill for hiking.

Thanks !
    Hi

I certainly agree with ---- I also have a zero series Basalt Gitzo also, but that feel really flimzy (technical term) with any weight on it. So I'm guessing it would be a series 1 or 2 Gitzo. The Systematics are quite nice, but maybe overkill for hiking.

For my light weight set-up I go out with Cambo WRC 400 / HR 40 or SK 60, Distro, Gitzo series I (GT1541T - 4 sections and Gitzo just came out with a bag for this tripod head that actually works -- it is the second version) and P0 Arca Swiss ball head. I also put metal lens hoods on my lenses, so I don't take the compendium, this seems to work OK - if not extreme shifting etc.

This works well, If not really windy, and also you can hang your pack / bag from the hook on the center column / base. The A/S P0 in my opinion is superior to RRS (and I have both).

For next weight setup - I go out the Cambo AE maybe take 3 lenses, Distro, compendium I take the Gitzo 2 series GT2531 3 sections with A/S D4 or Cube. The RRS stuff tripod series 2 would be a good alternative.

The Gitzo or RRS series 3 I think is a bit overkill, I would consider series 3 if taking the DF and long lenses, not going to far from the Car or if really bad weather condition IE windy.

I have not any problems with my Gitzos I do like the RRS tripods, they have a very good complete system. Its funny - I have allot of RRS stuff and its the ball heads, (with exception of the monopod head - which is the best) that I like the least. A/S P0, P1, D4 Cube, and also Novoflex that I like much more than RRS Ball Heads. These are ones I have experiences with.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil,

I have no experience with these, but light and very good reviews:

Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10 Ball Head BSRT025X

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Phil,

I have no experience with these, but light and very good reviews:

Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10 Ball Head BSRT025X
    Hi

I don't know this brand first hand. I would suggest when getting a tripod to get as few leg sections as possible.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all the suggestions ! I'll go and try to find series1 & 2 Gitzos, and see how they feel...

Philip, this sounds interesting:

> I also put metal lens hoods on my lenses, so I don't take the compendium, this
    > seems to work OK - if not extreme shifting etc.

What kind of metal hoods do you use ? Do you have any pictures ? I didn't get the compendium : it looks too big, heavy and bulky for my use. But I think I need something to reduce flare. I was thinking of a screw-on rubber lens-hood of some kind, which you can extend more or less so it fits on all my lenses. But a metallic hood sounds good - probably even protects the front element...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys for all the suggestions ! I'll go and try to find series1 & 2 Gitzos, and see how they feel...

Philip, this sounds interesting:

> I also put metal lens hoods on my lenses, so I don't take the compendium, this
    > seems to work OK - if not extreme shifting etc.

What kind of metal hoods do you use ? Do you have any pictures ? I didn't get the compendium : it looks too big, heavy and bulky for my use. But I think I need something to reduce flare. I was thinking of a screw-on rubber lens-hood of some kind, which you can extend more or less so it fits on all my lenses. But a metallic hood sounds good - probably even protects the front element...
    Hi Miska

Here is a photo with the hood. I bought the hood locally (the name on the hood is "Pixel"), B&H also sells them. I use to use the rubber ones, the plus side is you can fold them back if you need to, but for some reason mine always came apart sooner or later. So This time I tried metal, Also like you I think the metal also gives a little more protection. You can also get plastic lens caps on put them in the hood, should you decide not to take the hood off.

Thanks

Phil

PS - I highly recommend a compendium or hood, - If you go the hood route, then make sure you have a piece of black cardboard - to act as flag if needed- when you find yourself shooting in the direction of the sun to avoid flare as sometimes the hood is not enough. Also you will get better contrast with a Hood or compendium.
    Last edited by alajuela; 5th April 2014 at 02:22.