Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Hi,

    I have a Hd4-50 Hasselblad.

    Now I have to look for a solution to make the best architectural shots and food photography. I need a correction of the horizontal lines of a building. And I need to play with the depth of field.
    What do you recommend.
    A HTS 1.5 adapter or another solution like a cambo.

    Can anyone help me

    Thx!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member MaxKißler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Welcome to getdpi.

    I think it all depends on what you want:
    -If you desire ultimate image quality, the Cambo or similiar tech camera system is the way to go.
    -If you want ultimate convenience / ease of use, the HTS 1.5 is well worth a try.

    I personally would go with the HTS 1.5. I think it's a great extension of the tools you already have thus less money spend on another system. And I regard it very useful especially for food photography where a lot of swings are being applied. You could even use it conviniently on location without having to deal with tethered live view and such.

    Well, just my two thoughts...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Thanks Max for your clear answer.

    I don't have the HTS 1.5 but still have to choose. (is there a secondhand website in Germany?). And I can now buy a secondhand H4D 50.

    HTS is also around 5000 euro's. I don't know how much the costs are of a cambo set.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    You can usually find used HTS units in perfect condition for around $4000 US. I recently bought one and have been looking for a while, so you just have to be patient and they come up. Try the hasselbladdigitalforum and keep an eye on the FS section. The quality is good but as Max said it would be better with a dedicated tech camera with lenses, but the price would be so high and convenience lower than the HTS. If you're just shooting for publication, not huge prints, then I think the HTS would do the job.

    Ben

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by palermo View Post
    HTS is also around 5000 euro's.
    As you asked for a German dealer - you can get a demo version for 4300 EUR (incl. VAT) and I suppose that's with full warranty:

    Vitrinenstücke - Foto-Partner ProShop

    Chris

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    PS: I'm not sure if the HTS will be the right answer for your needs: if you need a short focal length it's of no help.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Oke, great. Thanks Cly and BDP for your help.
    But I found a secondhand Cambo: Cambo*Widi*DS*for 2000 euro. Is this a start of a better solution?

  8. #8
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by palermo View Post
    Oke, great. Thanks Cly and BDP for your help.
    But I found a secondhand Cambo: Cambo*Widi*DS*for 2000 euro. Is this a start of a better solution?
    " Is this a start of a better solution?"

    I think that depends on your choice of glass,I had the HTS and sold it because it multiples the focal length...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    @ RVB. So HTS works like an extender too.
    witch lens do you recommend for architecture photography?
    Last edited by palermo; 10th November 2013 at 13:43.

  10. #10
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    You would be better off asking one of the tech cam user's but I think you can't go wrong with a Rodenstock HR or one of the Schneiders,the Rodenstocks are more expensive...

    HR Digaron-S

    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...y.aspx?CID=168

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    The HTS is not very convenient for architectural photography: it makes wide-angle lenses less wide and you can't tilt in the opposite plane of the shift. On the other hand, it is very convenient for product photography, because of the integrated corrections in focus.

    Whereabout in Germany are you? If you leave near Munich, you can try my HTS to better understand its limitations.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Hi Jerome. Thanks for your answer. Now its clear to me. I'm from the Netherlands so a bit to far from Munich :-).

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    For food, or any other still life studio you can go with much cheaper view camera solution, not a tech cam. I bought my Cambo SCX for 350 euro from Germany, and there are affordable Sinars, Linhoffs etc around. You will have all tilts, shifts, swings you need. A quality lens is a must with your back. Both Rodenstock and Schneider digital lenses produce great results. You also have to buy an adapter for your back from Kapture group or another manufacturer.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Generally wider is better for architecture, so the HTS is not the best answer. The Cambo DS is less money than the RS because its less desired. Its heavier, shift controls on the front, not the back, so harder to use from the back.

    In architectural shots, usually the quality of the lens is key, so here's a vote for a tech camera and a wide lens (35-60mm). You can stitch the 50-60mm lens images and get some pretty sweet results.

    If money is the limit, consider a view camera with geared movements, so that you can use lenses mounted on boards and not helical mounts. While less convenient, they are more flexible.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    If you want/need shift/rise/fall and tilt with wide angle lenses in the 23-50mm range you basically need a technical camera system. Body, lenses and the necessary accessories. It won't be cheap but it is essential if you need that capability.

    If you do not need to use wide angles then there are MANY other options. Tech cameras, large format bellows type cameras, the HTS adapter and T/S lenses.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by palermo View Post
    I'm from the Netherlands so a bit to far from Munich.
    That's too bad. You could complete your profile with a location.

    BTW: the HTS comes regularly on eBay. There is one at present from an Italian professional seller for €3600, which is above average, they usually sell a bit under 3000, but this one is new (a demo model).

    As to the HTS, one further thing some people do not realize: it disables AF and AF confirmation.

  17. #17
    Senior Member MaxKißler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    My school supplies its students with loaner Sinar F2s which have to be used for most architecture and stillife subjects. But to be honest I disliked the F2 so much that I got myself a perfectly working Cambo Legend for about 230€. When I had my Aptus 22 I shot it several times just for fun and as a means of checking (because we were supposed to shoot film back then) and though it did work, it was anything but convenient. At the moment I solely use my Cambo with 4x5 film.
    I tried to shoot food with it, but the sliding back adapter was hard to use and nailing focus was almost impossible. So even if money was no object, I'd still go with the HTS. But that's me and your demands might be very different.

    9 shot stitch (covered almost the entire 4x5 format) and Sironar N 150mm at f22.



    http://maxkissler.com/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Like new HTS for sale for $4600 on Hasselbladdigitalforum, but now it seems you need to join to see the buy and sell topics, which I think used to be public.

    But the widest lens you can get is the new 24mm, which is expensive. That turns into a 36mm-ish lens or something like that because of the 1.5x magnification of the image circle created by the HTS. Maybe that's wide enough for architecture, maybe not. So you'd be up for $9-10K, and for that kind of money maybe a used Cambo and just as pricey (if more!) tech lenses would be better.

    Ben

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    The digital serie of Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are the cream of the crop.
    I wouldn't expect the Hasselblad/Mamiya lenses to reach their quality level.
    Furthermore the HTS do contain a glass element. I don't know how it impacts the IQ but it's sure it won't improve it. So the IQ difference between a Cambo + Rodenstock and an HTS + Hasselblad lens combo shouldn't be neglected with your high res back.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    The digital serie of Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are the cream of the crop.
    I wouldn't expect the Hasselblad/Mamiya lenses to reach their quality level.
    Furthermore the HTS do contain a glass element. I don't know how it impacts the IQ but it's sure it won't improve it. So the IQ difference between a Cambo + Rodenstock and an HTS + Hasselblad lens combo shouldn't be neglected with your high res back.
    Have you tested it by yourself or is it a presumption?

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    And witch lenses do you prefer when you use a HTS?

  22. #22
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by palermo View Post
    Have you tested it by yourself or is it a presumption?
    I have owned a HTS,it does degrade image quality,it will not be a match for a tech camera and Rodie/Schneider glass..

  23. #23
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Nothing matches the current generation of Roddy/Schneider large format lenses for pure image quality.

    Check out a 100% res JPG from a Roddy 32HR at 60mp here:
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com/bl...28mm-32mm-test

    It's incredibly sharp even in the extreme corner, even at 60mp.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  24. #24
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Nothing matches the current generation of Roddy/Schneider large format lenses for pure image quality.

    Check out a 100% res JPG from a Roddy 32HR at 60mp here:
    28mm & 32mm Lens Comparison - DT Blog

    It's incredibly sharp even in the extreme corner, even at 60mp.
    Very impressive performance from the Rodie...

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Oke, its has to be a Roddy/Schneider with a Cambo.
    Witch Cambo is a good one for architecture?

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    I've shot food commercially for 30 years. I started with 4x5 and 8X10 Cambos. When I made the shift to digital in 2006, I went with a Cambo Ultima 23 and a Leaf digital back mounted on a sliding back. For the record, I'm still using my old film lenses, Rodenstock and Schneider 100 and 150mm 5.6. I take full advantage of the camera movements for the pictures that I take and can't imagine making photographs without them. Not saying it can't be done...there's lots of great food pictures taken with something other than a view camera...they just don't fit well in with my work habits.





    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by FoodShooter View Post
    I've shot food commercially for 30 years. I started with 4x5 and 8X10 Cambos. When I made the shift to digital in 2006, I went with a Cambo Ultima 23 and a Leaf digital back mounted on a sliding back. For the record, I'm still using my old film lenses, Rodenstock and Schneider 100 and 150mm 5.6. I take full advantage of the camera movements for the pictures that I take and can't imagine making photographs without them. Not saying it can't be done...there's lots of great food pictures taken with something other than a view camera...they just don't fit well in with my work habits.
    Nice work! good stuff.

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Thanks.
    The only real time that the view camera is a hinderance to me is when I'm shooting ice cream, as the extra step/time involved in doing a focus check can be an issue. I don't shoot tons of ice cream, only on occasion. I used to put the Leaf on my Hasselblad when I needed the ability to focus quickly and then a few years went by where I didn't use it, so I foolishly sold the bodies and lenses.

    As I type this, I'm bidding on a large ice cream project, wishing that I had the old Hasselblad available to me. I may need to buy something for the short term, or do a rental to accommodate this particular project.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    And how do you compare analogue Schn/Rod lenses to the digital versions? same quality?
    Tareq

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    And how do you compare analogue Schn/Rod lenses to the digital versions? same quality?
    I don't have a way to compare as I've never used a digital version. I can say though that I can't see any shortcomings of the analog lenses, at least with my older back.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by FoodShooter View Post
    I don't have a way to compare as I've never used a digital version. I can say though that I can't see any shortcomings of the analog lenses, at least with my older back.
    Yes, i don't have digital versions yet, but as you said, those analog ones are no slouch as well, i even tested my family cheap Canon DSLR [500D] on my Shen Hao with Rodenstock lens and it was unbelievable sharp and details, i even confuse which is sharper, this or my Hasselblad H Macro lens, so that i was thinking how the digital LF compared to that.
    Tareq

  32. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Yes, i don't have digital versions yet, but as you said, those analog ones are no slouch as well, i even tested my family cheap Canon DSLR [500D] on my Shen Hao with Rodenstock lens and it was unbelievable sharp and details, i even confuse which is sharper, this or my Hasselblad H Macro lens, so that i was thinking how the digital LF compared to that.
    I'm sure there are 'technical' reasons as to why the digital versions are better? But, from a practical standpoint....

    When I went digital, my budget covered the back/camera/computers, etc., with not much left over for new digital lenses to replace the lenses that I already owned and had used for years. I put the old lenses on the new camera system and never looked back. My images are used commercially; packaging,advertising, etc. I typically get to see the finished results and so far, all of my expectations (and more importantly , those of my clients) have been met with this old glass.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

    Quote Originally Posted by FoodShooter View Post
    I'm sure there are 'technical' reasons as to why the digital versions are better? But, from a practical standpoint....

    When I went digital, my budget covered the back/camera/computers, etc., with not much left over for new digital lenses to replace the lenses that I already owned and had used for years. I put the old lenses on the new camera system and never looked back. My images are used commercially; packaging,advertising, etc. I typically get to see the finished results and so far, all of my expectations (and more importantly , those of my clients) have been met with this old glass.
    Excellent, this is all what it is about then, getting the job done and become happy!!!

    I am very new to those LF and even MF things and i just have 4 lenses analog for LF [2 for Graphics cameras], not going to give up them for digital any soon, and not have too if i can have the budget for digital separately one day, but i must get a tech cam first.
    Tareq

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •