Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phase One Firmware Releases

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One Firmware Releases

Am I the only one who has been missing out on new firmware releases from Phase One? Firmware version 5.11.36 was released February 18 for IQ backs. Among the improvements, Capture Pilot now works for me with IOS 7.1 in ad hoc WiFi mode and the back powers on and off with the camera (645DF). A form of geotagging is also enabled, but only through Capture Pilot.

I only stumbled upon it since I was having some weird issues and wanted to verify my FW version since the back had just returned from Phase One after a cosmetic repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One Firmware Releases

Has this latest firmware been stable for you Craig?

The last I heard was live view via USB3 was still in beta, but it appears that live view via USB3 is ready for prime time with this latest firmware release.

Live view on CCD sensors has always been limited at best, but it may have more utility in the field when using the larger screen of the Surface Pro 2 via USB3 tethering.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi-

I loaded 5.11.36 last week specifically for UB3 tethered Liveview. So far its been stable and works better than OK with my surface pro 1. I use it to frame and focus an m-line 2 with an IQ180. Focus has been spot on with lenses from an HR100mm to a Rhodie 180mm in morning light.

jim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread I decided to upgrade as well. I actually had more trouble getting the firmware installed than anything else. Just finished a few minutes ago and did a quick down and dirty test while still in the apartment; actual usage will begin tomorrow.

Connected to my WRS/IQ160 and Surface Pro 2 running C1-DB. It might just be me however the refresh rate looks better (smoother?) on the SP2 than on the actual back. Still jerky however it looked good the few minutes I used it. My thought is that is looks better on a larger screen.

No issues to report as yet.

Thanks Craig for pointing out the upgrade (knew it was in beta didn't know that it had been released).

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

This is good to hear. Shooting tethered via USB3 and Surface Pro 2 is great. I expected live view to be better if not for anything but because of the larger screen of the Surface Pro.
    Last edited by kdphotography; 15th March 2014 at 18:15.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used it enough to call it stable, but I was continuing to have lock-up problems with the prior FW on my 645DF. The last lock-up was a hard one and I had to remove the battery, lens and back to get it going again, and it cost me a sunset.

I also noticed that the back quit doing the long exposure dark frame most of the time. It would do one maybe once out of five frames. It was those two issues that got me checking for new FW.

I have confirmed that ad hoc wifi now works with Capture Pilot on my IOS phone. It will also take some getting used to the back turning on and off automatically when I turn the camera on and off. The Phase One literature seems to describe that feature only with the DF+, but it works on my DF.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, how are you getting the fwr file? The download appears to be broken. When I download the 6MB release package, there is no firmware file in it. The updater refuses to download at all.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, or P1 needs to find a new teenager to manage their web site.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I wasn't the only person to have this problem yesterday. I tried 3-seperate cards and each time I did the back failed to pick up the FW file. I ended up loading the updater connecting the back to the computer via USB3 and within a matter of a few minutes had the update.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I've put FW 5.11.36 into this DropBox file, which also contains several older IQ series MFDB firmware versions----not a bad idea to archive these just in case. I'll leave this Dropbox link live for a while...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had no problems downloading (yesterday and just now on a different machine) nor updating my IQ260. I'm using a Mac with Chrome and it simply downloaded the file FW5.11.36_released-aa0c.fwr which I then copied to a CF card and was able to install on the back itself via the firmware upgrade option.

Are you folks that are having problems using PCs? Is it invoking any helper app after download perhaps?

I tried the USB3 fuzzy view yesterday with my Surface Pro and it worked just as badly as it does on the back. Ok, the display is larger for certain and it does keep up with the Live View update rate and so it works as well as it ever worked. It did seem easier to work with the bigger live view display though.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I keep a CF card with my last FW version on it in my bag.

I'm assuming it would not be a good thing if there were more than one version on the same card?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Graham-

Are using 100% quality and adjusting brightness when using LV on the surface pro?

You do have to use a kind of stutter step focus to move with the slow refresh rate.

BTW I couldn't find the fwr file so I used the updater which worked fine.

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I tried it yesterday I was using the brightness/refresh settings from the back and the only thing I changed in Capture One was the zoom in & out of the live view image.

I need to try it outdoors to test it properly but on a tech camera in maybe EV5/6 exposure it was just as noisy in my opinion as ever. That wasn't really a surprise because I can't imagine that C1 is doing anything in realtime and if it were possible to render more cleanly on the back then I'm sure that they'd already being doing it. I'll give it try in better light.

Post Thanks / Like

No problems with PC updates/downloads of the fw here, so hard to say what the issue may be for some.

Steve---I think you'll only want one fw version on your backup CF, otherwise the system won't know which version to update to.

My plan will be to keep the backup folder of IQ MFDB firmware on my micro SDXC card slot on the Surface Pro 2, and if ever needed, I'll be able to copy/swap the selected firmware using Phase One Firmware Updater program.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, thanks for the file. So... the procedure for downloading the latest firmware on a PC is to contact Ken, get him to dropbox the fwr file, and then download.

The fwr file does not appear on the P1 site as far as I can see, though there are other bin and pdf downloads available. The downloader does appear but fails to download - that is the downloader itself fails, never mind anything it is trying to do. Buggy, but maybe the Danes are in serious party mode after the sale and this will be fixed once things settle down. Bente, is there any aqvavit left?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the firmware download

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    Ken, thanks for the file. So... the procedure for downloading the latest firmware on a PC is to contact Ken, get him to dropbox the fwr file, and then download.
    Ken.... Or your dealer.

We maintain an archive of firmware ready for any of our customers. Just an email or call away.

Remember Phase One provides support *primarily* through its dealer network.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Or your dealer."

Of course, Ken won't try to sell you anything.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "Or your dealer."

Of course, Ken won't try to sell you anything.

However there isn't any guarantee he won't have you buying something just the same....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post

The fwr file does not appear on the P1 site as far as I can see, though there are other bin and pdf downloads available. The downloader does appear but fails to download - that is the downloader itself fails, never mind anything it is trying to do. Buggy, but maybe the Danes are in serious party mode after the sale and this will be fixed once things settle down. Bente, is there any aqvavit left?
    It's really not that difficult. Go to Downloads. Scroll down to Download Firmware and select it. Select Firmware Updater (Granted not that obvious that the firmware files are there). Then select IQ Firmware 5.11.36 and it'll download the .fwr file to your machine if you're logged in or else it'll prompt you for an email address and then download.

Copy that file to the root of a CF card and then do firmware update on the back.

Or, you can just click here if the navigation is different in your view of the P1 site:
    Firmware updater for 645DF/645DF+ camera and P+ digital backs

p.s. Do NOT have any dealings with either Ken or Don. Ever. They are both very very bad influences, in fact worse than Guy, and you will end up with a dent in your wallet because they'll have performed some Jedi mind trick on you and you'll suddenly have some new gear you hadn't even thought of buying before. Be warned!

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, that does not work on my pc. The download does not offer the fwr file, only a package of binaries. The downloader link is dead. Never mind, just a site glitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I resent the suggestion that Ken "Surface Pro" Doo would lead anyone to buy anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I resent the suggestion that Ken "Surface Pro" Doo would lead anyone to buy anything.
    Actually I heard that there were marketing folks in Redmond who were looking in to the 'Ken Doo' effect on Surface Pro sales. They'd heard that at least six confirmed Mac and iPad users had bought them and this had caused a significant blip in Surface Pro sales numbers

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I was asked not to tell however - it seems that there's is a Special Edition Ken Doo Surface Pro 2.5 about to be released. In all your fav colors....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am curious, how well does the Surface pro 2 screen do in daylight?. Anything I guess is better than a retina iPad, but is the surface pro screen a lot better?

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul,

The Surface Pro 2 is good in daylight but obviously better in the softer light of sunrise or sunset. You can easily control screen brightness with just a couple taps of the power/battery icon on the bottom right of the screen.

It's also rather easy to make a sunscreen and I'm currently trying to design some simple side panels. Like Don says---in all your favorite colors...

The difference with the Surface Pro 2 is that you are viewing full resolution RAW files that you can zoom in on C1 Pro 7 up to 400%, use focus mask, loupe, or everyone's favorite live-view on a ccd sensor... No low res jpegs as on an ipad.... And 100% zoom on the Surface Pro is with a simple double-tap.

Just ignore that Graham Welland---me and Don have the droids you're looking for....

Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And of you're a Mac guy who doesn't want to spend money on windoze machines a fully spec'd cheap Surface Pro works too. Speed is comparable to capture pilot wireless zoom except that as ken says it's a real image local to the surface and can be checked at high resolution.

I would look at an anti-glare protector on the surface otherwise it's like an iPad or iPhone sand beautifully render your own reflection or glare in certain light.

Btw I did find a usable hood for the iPad mini retina that fits perfectly and folds flat.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for your kind giving us information regarding the Surface Pro 2 set up. It is extremely useful.

I've been frustrating with my IQ260. The wireless is not as useful as advertising which somewhat misleaded.

There are several types of "Arkon heavy duty c-clamp universal tablet mount". Would you mind giving the link to which one you've been using?

I really appreciate in advance for your kind advice.

Best
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote:

tab804 on amazon

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Graham!

Can iPad be used with tethering?

Wireless is not reliable. Or am I the only one who is unlucky?

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Pramote----Graham's got it. Look for the tab804 model.

There is an equipment, um--shopping list, at the bottom of my blog.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Pramote, iPads currently lack either USB3 or Firewire so sadly no they can't be tethered.

The Surface Pro has USB3 which makes it a perfect platform. Ken & I kicked this around shortly after MS announced the release and just waited for it to mature (8GB RAM instead of 4).

Its really surprising just how powerful this little thing is. While I still need my much larger/powerful laptop for the road I'm using this more and more as a fill-in. I used the SP2 yesterday to upgrade the firmware on my IQ160 and I've been using lately to surf the web, FB and here.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wireless might in time get better. The main downside I see is that you are currently left with Jpegs which is something I run away from. I like having the ability of shooting directly to C1-DB and see the RAW image file and be able to double tap to 100%, focus mask, highlight warning etc. I'm not trying to do any processing, just checking the image however the SP2 is powerful enough to handle processing.

Just my 2-cents

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken & Don...Thanks very much for sharing this information. It sounds fantastic from someone I can trust. That's why I love GetDPI.

BTW...Are you sponsored by microsoft?

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I've put FW 5.11.36 into this DropBox file, which also contains several older IQ series MFDB firmware versions----not a bad idea to archive these just in case. I'll leave this Dropbox link live for a while...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

ken
    Ken

Thank you very much for your assistance. I have a 645DF with an IQ180 back.
    Firmware loaded and now our camera acts like one camera - not a big deal but it restores a little faith that Phase One might one day release a competent and suitable camera body to run with the IQ and earlier series backs.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, and I'm not trying to out Ken & Don Ken & Don in terms of enabling, but if you're thinking of getting a Surface Pro 2 for image processing then I highly, highly, recommend the Cintiq Companion as the platform to invest in. The Wacom digitizer on the Cintiq is a lot more accurate and predictable than the MS tablet/pen. It's the super Surface Pro 2 for all intents and purposes

I'm somewhat cheap (well, when it comes to PC's vs Macs) so I went with the Surface Pro but when I buy in to a real Surface Pro 2 platform I'm definitely going to invest in the Cintiq version. I use the Cintiq 13HD today with my MBP and I love it. I only wish that the Cintiq Companion (non hybrid) could act as the second display and tablet for my MBP. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything - until the next version!
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 17th March 2014 at 02:07.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're having problems downloading the firmware from the Phase One site, you might try using a different browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer downloaded the wrong file, but when I switched to Firefox it downloaded correctly. IE tends to be the least compatible browser, so anytime things don't work right, I try Firefox or Chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Craig, I bet you're right about using different browsers.

Graham---you might want to try a Bamboo Feel pen---maybe that will give you a bit better pen feel.

We're way off-topic here on tethering with the Surface Pro 2, so maybe it's best to start a new enabling thread under New or Interesting Techniques or maybe since it really only involves tethering of MFDBs, a separate thread here.

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 17th March 2014 at 09:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just a short hijack of the thread, would my p45+ be on the latest available firmware?
    the FWupdate which i downloaded said its out dated.

Post Thanks / Like

P Series MFDBs have a different firmware updater. You should be able to download it from the Phase One website.

ken

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    P Series MFDBs have a different firmware updater. You should be able to download it from the Phase One website.

ken
    Ken: that was only true briefly; the current firmware updated applies for all p+ backs as well.

5.1.2 is the latest for a p45+
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken

Thanks for the information. I read your article and this does look like a great solution.

Are you using a surface pro with 128gb or more. I figured the 128 would get the job done.

It's too bad Capture pilot can't be ported to a win/MAC platform so I could try the wireless angle on the surface pro.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,

I'm using a Surface Pro 2 with the 512GB SSD. I think the sweet spot really is the 256GB version, as the higher models have 8GB RAM.

I've spent a lot of time trying to come up with the optimal configuration and set-up, and still making some minor tweaks for a super compact and light sunshade. I'll start a different thread later here on the MF forum.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a 256GB Surface Pro 2 and the only thing different between Ken's machine and mine is the storage. I've got the new 128GB Sanddisk on order. Right now with C1-DB loaded I've got over 200GB storage available to me so not a problem.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I had no problems downloading (yesterday and just now on a different machine) nor updating my IQ260. I'm using a Mac with Chrome and it simply downloaded the file FW5.11.36_released-aa0c.fwr which I then copied to a CF card and was able to install on the back itself via the firmware upgrade option.
    I did the update on last Sunday. Downloaded the Zip file into the PC and transferred the FWR file into the CF card. Inserted into the back and update went smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using Surface Pro 1 with 4GB RAM & 128 GB SSD. After installing Capture One Pro, I have 87 GB left for image file storage. Effective battery life will be 3 - 5 hrs. (I need to test this).

256 GB will be good for few days of travel, but will carry laptop and external HDD anyway to have multiple copies. Surface Pro 1 doesn't offer SSD more than 128 GB.

In Capture One, you can't allocate the dedicated RAM to the software, which you can do in Photoshop. So I don't know whether Capture One really takes advantage of additional RAM or not.

These days hardwares are more advanced than software. So though you can buy latest hardware, your software may not be able to catch up with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adding a micro SD - 64 or 128GB will significantly expand the storage options.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Going away from the Surface Pro discussion and returning to the firmware dicussion....

This morning was the first time I was able to realize the huge benefits of the latest firmware update to my IQ160. Standing on Jackson Lake Dam with winds picking up and a temperature (when I left the truck) at 1 degree and falling. Okay, it was just a little cold.

The normal procession would be to remove my gloves in order to get a solid feel on the power button on the back, then quickly put the gloves back on power up the camera (DF). Not so this morning! Gloves never came off. Powered the DF up with the back powering up very shortly afterwards. May not sound like a big deal however to me it is! Powering down was just as easy with one turn of the camera button and the LCD telling me the back would power down in 8-seconds (which it did).

The other part I like is being able to preview in black and white. Shows slightly more detail and contrast as well as showing me what the file would look like if I decided to go black and white. Also helps when the general shooting conditions are more monotone.

Okay back to the Surface Pro 2.....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was curious if the B&W view option would help for live view since possibly the color blooming effect might not be as bad. Never got around to checking it with a tech camera.

Paul C