The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Don Libby

Good news but for me not. The main problem at least for me is the huge mirror effect the SP2/3 presents when shooting a bright light. In an effort to reduce the glare I went to PerfectFitTech.com for a screen protector/glare reducer for my SP3. The good news first. IT WORKS. The screen reduces the glare by at least a factor of 50% in bright Arizona sunlight.

The terrible news at least for me is that due to the way it's manufactured it is very brittle. I keep a UAG proactive case on my SP3 for protection. I removed the case as it covers just a little of the screen and the Perfect Fit covers well everything. I had installed the screen protector and took it outside for a test spin and liked what I saw (no pun intended). Came back inside and proceeded to reinstall the UAG which can be difficult at times. Got everything to fit in two corners however due to the tight overlapping of the UAG the remaining corners slipped outside of the UAG and caused an air bubble. In attempting to get the screen protector inside the remaining corners I attempted to gently light the corner to slide the SP in and the protector cracked. This also happened to the other corner as well even sending a crack down the middle of the protector.

Bottom line is that the Perfect Fit as nice as it is and as much as it reduces glare simply doesn't work for me in as much as I want the UAG to remain protecting the SP. If you aren't using a UAG I'd recommend it. For me I just blew $69.95.

I'm willing to take donations :D

Don

Forgot to add that after cracking the screen protector I removed it thinking I might spring for another and just trim it a little. Took a very sharp pair of scissors to see if I could trim the edge. Instant cracking/glazing on the protector. Just save myself another $70.

Paul2660

Don.

Thanks for posting I had been considering one of these. How much screen brightness was compromised?

Thanks
Paul

Don Libby

I'd say very little brightness was compromised using the protector, if anything it make it so much easier to use the screen. I like what I saw so much that if I didn't want to protect the SP so much I'd get rid of the UAG so I could use the screen protector. This sucks as I know I'll be thinking about it the next time I'm outdoors tethered.

Don

Paul2660

I have ordered one. Thanks for the report.

They claim to be glass I wonder if I can sand the edge back just a bit to allow the UAG case? I agree they can be a bit tricky to put on.

Paul

Don Libby

The receipt says "Surface Pro 3 Anti glare GlassShield Premium Glass Screen Protection - Surface Pro 3 AntiGlare GlassShield"

Don Libby

I've been thinking about the anti glare screen since yesterday weighing the pros and cons of the UAG vs the PerfectFit. While the UAG does offer protection I've decided that I need something to reduce the amount of glare more so have decided to remove the UAG (which is a PIA) and order yet another PerfectFit. Going on their website and liking them on FaceBook gave me a 10% off code so I ended up saving $7.00 off this order.

Stay tuned for more....

kdphotography

Don---could a glass shop trim the glass anti-glare screen for you----so it would fit within the confines of the UAG case?

ken

(Oops---there goes another $70 :ROTFL:)

kdphotography

The bad news is that the PerfectFit anti-glare glass shield screen is not available for the Surface Pro 2.

The good news is that if you upgrade your Surface Pro 2 and buy the Surface Pro 3, you can use the PerfectFit anti-glare glass screen on your new SP3...

:loco:

:ROTFL:

Paul2660

Decided to shoot naked (speaking about the UAG) for the time being. :D
This is what I started doing in the summer here to keep the heat down. However I do like the UAG case for its corner protection.

I may try to Dremel around the corners of the protector to see if I can get the UAG to fit.

Glare is an issue for sure

Paul

Don Libby

I wouldn't advise trying any sort of trimming Paul. This protector is a multi layered sandwiched into a sheet. The edges and corners are very sensitive and the slightest pressure will cause glazing. I found this out only after I tried to lift a corner of the UAG to fit over top.

The really good news is it reduces the glare down to a point the screen becomes usable in a bright Arizona sky. It'll come down to what you want/need more, corner protection or less glare, sadly (at lest for this product) you can't have both.

I had thought of contacting the company to see if they would be willing to make a sheet approx. 1mm smaller but figure I have enough invested already...

kdphotography

It might be worth contacting PerfectFit. You just never know.

When they find out how many of their glass covers you've destroyed, they might be slightly amused and help out. Maybe. :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ordered one yesterday.

I have a UAG but I'm thinking of going back to my Mantec case - don't like that UAG foot.

Even though I have the IQ150 I can still see the benefits of tethered review even after super live view for focus. The difference between small LCD and SP3 for accurate exposure and focus review is still significant. Not required in the same way as with my IQ260 but still highly desirable if you have the time.

Don Libby

A continuing update on the UAG/PerfectFit saga, both to be informative and to help other laugh (won't mention Stephen's name)...

After ordering the second screen I noticed that PerfectFit offers a product replacement for $4.50, figuring I had saved $7.00 yesterday with the 10% off coupon I decided what the hell? Went on line this morning to order the replacement from the original screen and with shipping it came to $7.18.

If this works, and for those who are counting, this will be the 3rd screen. Also if this works, I might be inclined to offer it in Tahoe to someone who hasn't busted a gut laughing over my misfortune. But then again, if this works and I do get a replacement for the first screen saver I just may keep it as I'll more than likely need it in the future.

I'll keep everyone posted if this does work just in case you have the same misfortune as I did with the first application.

:D

Don Libby

Graham, I just ordered a foam sleeve to protect the SP3 while in transit and when I have it in the backpack. The plan it to keep it there until I need to set it up on location.

I also agree that no matter what the back can do it's still small. The larger screen of either the 2 or 3 is much better for focus peeking, as well as the occasional live view. Plus with the newer improved method of mounting and tethering it really doesn't take that much more time to set up.

One of the things I like the most about shooting with a tech cam is that it slows me down. This slower work begins as I set everything up (even before I began tethering) during that time while I'm setting everything up I'm also considering how I'll shoot; once the setup is done all I have to do is remember to remove the lens cap and cock the shutter.

Ross Konigsburg

Thanks for all the information. I apologize if folks thinks my question has been answered, but I was thinking with the SP3 having been out for a few months now, that many of the questions that were raised when it was first released, may be answered now.

I am new to MF and have an Arca Swiss RM3Di, IQ 180, and a couple of lenses. I have the Arca viewfinder. In my few months of using my gear, I find that the viewfinder, while useful for the basic set up is not as useful for the final set up. I find I have to shoot, recompose, chimp, recompose, chimp, etc. I am thinking that shooting tethered would be a better solution for not only composition but also for the focusing.

I would like to know what the minimum SB model and configuration (8gb, 16gb, etc) that would be recommended. My concerns are battery life, since I am frequently away from electricity for a few days at a time and cost. I am also concerned about cost since I am frequently shooting in a stream, sand, and other areas where I have a better than average probability of dropping the SB as I concentrate on the photo gear. Also, the photo gear is insured and the SB probably would not be insured.

Sorry for the long winded question, but any and all responses will be appreciated.

Ross

Last edited:

Paul2660

Welcome to the forum.

I would look at either a sur2 or 3 with 16 gb of ram and the 256GB hard drive. The 2 is a bit smaller but thicker and heavier. I like the 3 due to screen size for C1.
Paul