Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 23mm HR guidance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 23mm HR guidance

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    , using the Sigma 12-24 (are you serious - that lens is junk on FF DSLR), or the Nikon 13mm? Yeah sure - give it a go and let's see how well you get on.
    It's quite interesting when we look back posts we made years ago What do you think now when we can purchase the 10 mm F 5,6 Hyper-Wide-Heliar and the Sony A7R-II for a remarkably less amount of money (when compared against the inductive price of the IQ180 + Alpa 12 FPS + Canon 17mm TS-E)? According to your words, the 17mm TSE + IQ180 combo simply isn't wide enough and doesn't have the required angle of view. You may claim that the Voigtlander 10mm is junk (or with high distortion) but I'd be curious to see a comparison after all. We all know that you make incredible wide angle images!

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is that the 23HR hard vignettes well before the 24TSE runs out of usable image circle. Ergo, the 24 is capable of taking shots that the 23HR can't deal with. As I very clearly stated - does that mean the 24 is as good as the 23HR if you don't shift? No. It's not. But the simple fact of the matter is that if you only have the 23, then it won't be able to do things that the 24 (and 17) can. Why would you limit your capabilities?

The usable image circle of both lenses more than covers a FF MFDB back sensor, and they open up opportunities that would otherwise be impossible to shoot.
    I have tested the 17mm TS-E myself and also seen multiple results about the 24mm TS-E. My bet is that the 24mm TS-E is the same as the 17mm TS-E with severe field curvature in the extreme corners. To make these corners really "useful" you would need to stop down the lens down to f/16 and beyond to make the corners fall within DoF, but at the same time it hammers the sharpness of the whole image thanks to diffraction. The TS-E solution provides a great alternative towards the Rodenstock solutions under certain circumstances, but for really wide shots I would prefer the Voigtlander solution and for corner sharpness I would prefer the Rodenstock 23mm solution.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn voidshatter, you do like to wake up and poke the bear don't you?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

...you do like to wake up and poke the bear don't you?
    Which is worse: being considered by others to be someone who wakes up and pokes bears, or being considered by others to be a bear?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After Gerald's BTS image from the top of the Burj Khalifa I respect the bear with major cajones.

signed: the pussycat.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"