The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa (Real) Photokina news 2014

narikin

Realized I've been a bit stupid over this, these shifting adapters are for the Hassy and Contax lenses only. They are not going to be able to shift any regular SB Alpa lenses on an FPS body, like a Roddy 50mm or SK 60mm, which is a big shame.

Kind of surprised that a simpler FPS shifting product has not been developed, as most folks would rather use their existing pricey tech cam lens investment, than Hassy or Contax, on the FPS.

gerald.d

Realized I've been a bit stupid over this, these shifting adapters are for the Hassy and Contax lenses only. They are not going to be able to shift any regular SB Alpa lenses on an FPS body, like a Roddy 50mm or SK 60mm, which is a big shame.

Kind of surprised that a simpler FPS shifting product has not been developed, as most folks would rather use their existing pricey tech cam lens investment, than Hassy or Contax, on the FPS.
I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there, but the solution surely is "just" to use a Max if you want to shift SB34's?

If ALPA did bring out a dual-axis shift adapter for the FPS to use with the SB34's, then it would need to either be 11mm deep (like the cameras) or 17mm deep.

The problem is, if it were the former, it would basically be a new camera. A Max Compact if you like to think of it that way. And if that existed, it would certainly cannibalize Max sales.

I can however see how a 17mm deep adapter would make sense. For those new to ALPA and only considering the FPS, it would be a great addition to the kit.

The bottom line though, is that they already offer a solution for your requirements, so probably want you go buy a Max (which I heartily recommend because it is such an awesome camera!).

Kind regards,

Gerald.

narikin

Thanks Gerald, but I already own a Max, and an STC, and a TC, and an FPS. So I have plenty invested!

The Max is a great camera but heavy and unsuited for backpacking and location work away from a vehicle. The STC is good, but single axis only. So neither fulfills the same role as an FPS with shifting on 2 axis. Plus there are good reasons why you might want and need a Focal Plane Shutter on your work, than a Copal one.

Alpa themselves clearly recognise this, and have released a complicated adapter to shift 3rd party lenses with the FPS. Why they don't release one for their own SB lenses is what puzzles me? A tech lens in SB is superior to nearly all DSLR options, plus Alpa sells those lenses, so would profit from it, rather than a buyer going to Hasselblad or eBay. All a bit odd business practice, but hopefully a simplified SB17 shifting adapter will be released in time.

narikin

Just realised they have announced the FPS shift adapter for Contax, Hassy and Rollei lenses, but not for Mamiya/Phase. Have I missed something, or is that a gap in the adapter line-up? On the other hand maybe it is being saved for the 'Alliance'?

I was checking as I wondered about using that lovely Schneider-Phase tilt-shift lens on the FPS!

Steve Hendrix

Just realised they have announced the FPS shift adapter for Contax, Hassy and Rollei lenses, but not for Mamiya/Phase. Have I missed something, or is that a gap in the adapter line-up? On the other hand maybe it is being saved for the 'Alliance'?

I was checking as I wondered about using that lovely Schneider-Phase tilt-shift lens on the FPS!

You can already mount the 120mm TS via the standard Mamiya FPS Adapter (also takes any Mamiya manual control, manual aperture lenses). For additional lens adapters (for modern lenses that require electronic interfaces) new versions remain to be seen, as these typically (and ideally) involve some cooperation.

In our little part of the world - photography - when we think, boy, that would be great, why don't they just do that? There are usually many complex issues why that exist beneath the surface.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

gerald.d

My guess is that the tie-up with Phase One has been in the works for some time.

No sense in spending R&D money to reverse engineer the lens/camera comms if (big if, mind) an agreement was in place to share that openly.

That's my guess, anyway!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

narikin

You can already mount the 120mm TS via the standard Mamiya FPS Adapter (also takes any Mamiya manual control, manual aperture lenses).
Yes but the point was to have a shift adapter, like they have announced for Hassy, Rollei and Contax 645, but for Phase One/Mamiya lenses. Kind of strange they have not done that.

Put the 120mm TS Schneider lens on that, and you get shift on the lens plus shift on the adapter, and voila: MAX FPS!