The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 VS IQ 180 test comparison

canonball

i am looking at 2 units of used backs, IQ180 and IQ3100. the IQ180 is going at almost half the price vs the IQ3100.

do you think the savings from the 180 is worth giving up the benefits of the 3100?

baudolino

Drop me a message if you are interested in an IQ280. I bought it from a member here 2 years ago but later bought an IQ3100 (from another Getdpi member), so have both backs now. My short summary of the differences would copy everything that has been written in this thread. The IQ3100 is usable at higher ISOs which, for me at least, is only relevant when shooting with continuous lights in the studio. With strobes in the studio or in daylight outside where I work with an assistant, use reflectors, strobes etc., I would use either back at base ISO and the output would be quite comparable. If I expect to be shooting outside in challenging light conditions, without a tripod (e.g. on a hike or quick "run and gun" photoshoot), I will probably pack a different camera altogether, that is quicker to use, has image stabilisation etc. Bottom line - the IQ3100 has advantages where you do not control the light. If your intended use is mostly situations where you have some control over the light, then the IQ280 is still very capable and you would not benefit much from the more expensive IQ3100.

alistairsimmons

i am looking at 2 units of used backs, IQ180 and IQ3100. the IQ180 is going at almost half the price vs the IQ3100.

do you think the savings from the 180 is worth giving up the benefits of the 3100?
What type of work are you doing? How you like to work and what functionality you need will largely dictate the value in either option.

Other than the increased Dynamic Range and ISO flexibility, some important features in the IQ3 100MP for me would be:

- (Usable) Live View
- Electronic Shutter

canonball

I do mostly studio work with strobe 75% of the time with IQ140 and Nikon d850

I also use constant light but that's only with the Nikon.

alistairsimmons

I do mostly studio work with strobe 75% of the time with IQ140 and Nikon d850

I also use constant light but that's only with the Nikon.
Workflow-wise, the IQ1 80MP will be similar to what you're used to with the IQ1 40MP. With the Electronic Shutter in the IQ3 100MP, you could make good use of constant light, with no vibration/mechanical actuation with this option.

If you're not interested in switching how you work (and not needing ISO flexibility/Live View) and will continue with strobe with the Phase One back, then the IQ1 80MP would be a good upgrade from the 40MP.