Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IQ3 100MP technical camera tests: color cast, mazing artifact, tiling issue, DR etc

Post Thanks / Like

IQ3 100MP technical camera tests: color cast, mazing artifact, tiling issue, DR etc

I have just done some tests today at Teamwork Photo. Due to time constraints I could not perform all tests I wished. I will keep this thread updated as I dig out new findings. Any input is welcome.

Lenses tested:

HR ALPAGON 5.6/23 MM, LB, with center filter
    HR ALPAR 4.0/35 MM, LB
    HR ALPAGON 4.0/40 MM, SB17

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	378.3 KB 
ID:	115553
    Last edited by voidshatter; 6th January 2016 at 12:13.
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ3 100MP technical camera tests: color cast, mazing artifact, tiling issue, DR e

First of all, I have found that the IQ3 100MP has less color cast issues than the IQ250 does. At least this is true for the uncorrected LCC files. However, there is currently a bug with Capture One v9.0.2: it will cause residual greenish color cast in the LCC correction! You will need to use Capture One v9.0.1 to make LCC correction, but v9.0.1 does not have a profile for the IQ3 100MP yet and will treat it as the IQ250.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	115554
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ3 100MP technical camera tests: color cast, mazing artifact, tiling issue, DR e

For this scene I have bracketed with the 23HR, for IQ3100 vs IQ380 vs IQ250.

I am sure that I was shooting the IQ3100 in 16-bit mode, which was clearly displayed in screen.

Observations:

a) I am using the latest RawDigger (version 1.2.3). It is perhaps not adequate enough to decode the IQ3100 properly yet. This was also found in the darkframe test shots.
    b) When I look into the histogram of the shadow, I have found that the IQ3100 is just 14-bit which is the same as the IQ250 (i.e. there are gaps), while the IQ380 seems to be really 16-bit (with no gaps).
    c) If the current version of RawDigger is to be trusted (which I doubt) then the fair exposure compensation for the lowest ISO settings of each back at the same aperture is as below:

IQ3100: 1/10s to retain most highlight details in the sky
    IQ380: 1/2s to retain most highlight details in the sky
    IQ250: 1/4s to retain most highlight details in the sky

Proof was the calculation of average levels of each channel in the same sky area:

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	115555

Post Thanks / Like

The following comparison was assuming that the highlight headroom calculations by RawDigger v1.2.3 was correct and they retained the same amount of highlight details. Now we see how the shadow pushes. I have applied the following in Capture One v9.0.1 (which is not officially supporting IQ3100 yet, but I do not see cleaner shadows with Capture One v9.0.2): I have cropped out the IQ3100 and the IQ380 to match the crop sensor of the IQ250. I have disabled noise reduction. I have applied +100 shadow, +100 highlight, then compensated exposure to acquire similar resulting histograms.

Findings:

a) The IQ3100 is not necessarily cleaner here, hence not necessarily more dynamic range! Perhaps something is wrong by relying on the calculations of RawDigger v1.2.3.
    b) There can be visible chromatic aberration with the IQ3100 (even with Capture v9.0.2). I am not sure whether this is a software issue or simply a property of the sensor.

Name:	1_1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	115556

Post Thanks / Like

Here I attach the whole frame of the processed pictures so that you could see the tonality of each image. Note that when the 23HR was mounted on the IQ250 it was shifted 6mm, but unshifted on the other two fullframe sensors.

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	115557
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Okey, it seems that we should trust Capture One v9.0.2 instead of RawDigger v1.2.3. By converting the IIQ files into DNG files with Capture One v9.0.2 then opening the DNG files with RawDigger v1.2.3, I found the following:

Capture One v9.0.2 can indeed squeeze out one more extra stop of highlight headroom out of the IQ3100! The "correct" exposure compensation (for the same aperture) should now be:

IQ3100: 1/4s ISO50
    IQ380: 1/2s ISO50
    IQ250: 1/4s ISO100

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	115558

Post Thanks / Like

Now by trusting Capture One v9.0.2 for decoding highlight details out of the "16-bit" IQ3100, with the new exposure compensations, we have the following shadow recovery:

The IQ3100 CMOS indeed has cleaner shadow than the IQ380 CCD does!

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	115559

Post Thanks / Like

And now we look into the DNG files again and we can find that the IQ3100 DNG file is indeed "true 16-bit" without the gaps of levels in shadow. It appears that Capture One v9.0.2 can either correctly decode the IQ3100 RAW file into 16-bit or properly cook the IQ3100 RAW file into 16-bit. The IQ250 remains unlucky here as 14-bit.

Name:	8.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	115560
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

As you've said re. the chromatic aberrations, and maybe this is related to that, the 100mpx file shows some strange colour that the other two don't in what should be flat areas of tone. Even with your second lot of images, I'd consider the results in noise a wash though, especially considering the +100 adjustment to the shadow slider.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I'm sure your dealer let you konw 9.0.2 does not properly support LCC for IQ3 100mp. That will be addressed shortly, and should be ready just in time for DT's comprehensive multi-back multi-lens tech camera test!
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voidshatter View Post
    First of all, I have found that the IQ3 100MP has less color cast issues than the IQ250 does. At least this is true for the uncorrected LCC files. However, there is currently a bug with Capture One v9.0.2: it will cause residual greenish color cast in the LCC correction! You will need to use Capture One v9.0.1 to make LCC correction, but v9.0.1 does not have a profile for the IQ3 100MP yet and will treat it as the IQ250.
    Yes...... I have never seen that green cast before that I've seen in other posts. Thanks so much for pointing this out. I even did some testing with my Leaf/Credo 50 and shifted my 35mm XL 15mm and still couldn't find that cast. In fact the latest version of C1 actually gave me an extremely nice file...... even at 15mm Rise!! So..... I have greater expectations for the 100MP.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please note that a fix for the LCC bug is due shortly in a service release...probably a matter of days...

BR

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Just leave the DR thing for a while. Now moving to the 40HR already! Below is IQ3100 vs IQ380. Here I have applied the following: +25 highlight, +25 shadow, "Pick White Balance Tool" on the same spot, LCC correction (by Capture One v9.0.1), lens correction with 40HR profile and movements.

Because when I was testing this, it suddenly rained, and I had to escape, without shooting the IQ250 at all. (Just one less justification to buy technical cameras for landscape in changing weather conditions!)

Here you go: IQ3100 vs IQ380, 0mm up, 10mm up, 18mm up

Name:	9.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	436.4 KB 
ID:	115562

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to do real pixel peeping! At f/9, the 100 MP is now the new king!! Just check the details on that wire of the CCTV! (You'll need to click on the image below to view it enlarged)

Note that I have ticked "Chromatic Aberration" for lens correction, and this is the same lens unmoved and unshifted.

Name:	10.JPG 
Views:	353 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	115563

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting purple glow in the last IQ3100 but not the IQ380, almost looks like optical purple fringing due to defocus, are both backs shimmed?

Post Thanks / Like

Now moving to mazing artifact. For those of you who are not familiar with mazing artifact you may refer to my old thread about the IQ250.

When does it happen? When you shoot indoors (presumably with narrow band light source conditions), it is mostly visible when you zoom into 100% for pixel peeping in an area where crosstalk is "worst" and demosaicing is having issues.

For the IQ250, look for the blue part of the LCC file. This time for the IQ3100, it has changed a bit: look for the region between the blue cast, the maganta cast and the yellow cast! (as marked below)

I am happy to announce that if you stay within the official image circle of the 23HR then it is free of mazing artifact (as far as I can see). Also keep in mind that for the same part of the picture, you may get mazing artifact if you shift too much (as shown in the example below) so don't be greedy when you shift on a Sony CMOS like this! "Shifting too much + stitching + cropping" could be worse than "shifting just enough + stitching" because if you are not careful then mazing artifact may ruin your work!

+5mm shift of 23HR = mazing artifact about to start
    +10mm shift of 23HR = mazing artifact

Given that this is a Digaron-S lens with only 70mm image circle, I don't think mazing artifact is to be worried about.

Name:	12.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	115564

Post Thanks / Like

Does the CA look comparable on the 380 without the CA correction on?
    Is this a lens profile problem or a back problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Interesting purple glow in the last IQ3100 but not the IQ380, almost looks like optical purple fringing due to defocus, are both backs shimmed?
    None of these backs were shimmed. I used the LiveView of the IQ3100 to focus carefully. It's hard to explain why neither the IQ380 nor the IQ250 have that purple fringing, while the IQ3100 does give most details for pixel peeping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Does the CA look comparable on the 380 without the CA correction on?
    Is this a lens profile problem or a back problem?
    If I uncheck CA correction for both then I get the following:

Name:  13.JPG
Views: 2130
Size:  71.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

If I uncheck CA correction for both then I get the following:
    Thanks. That is troubling. Could be the pixel pitch getting into play.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's continue with the mazing artifact tests for the 40HR. The worst part has shifted a little bit upwards for this lens. It is now between the blue cast region and the magenta cast region as shown below.

Mazing artifact is about to start at +15mm shift and happens for +18mm shift. So my advice is to stay within 15mm range of this lens when you shift it along the shorter edge of the sensor.

Name:  14.JPG
Views: 2180
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  16.JPG
Views: 2138
Size:  164.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

It should be said that C1's demosaicer is very robust, you need to get into pretty extreme amounts of crosstalk for it to start mazing. If you use a plain DCB demosaicer you practically have a crosstalk detector, it starts mazing with only a few percent of crosstalk.

That it happens more easily in certain lights is expected, to trigger it more easily you should have some light that is a lot stronger in one CFA filter (red blue or green) than the others as the crosstalk will be more evident then. If light matches up on red/green/blue then nothing happens if there's crosstalk. This makes the effect color and light dependent meaning that I personally don't like to play with high levels of crosstalk as it can look fine in some circumstances and then problems can jump at you when you have some particular saturated color in the frame or there some particular light.

That said if the IQ3100 really does have less issues than the IQ250 then it looks pretty good to get down to an acceptable level for many/most people.

You almost 100% certain can't read 16 bit IIQ files correctly in rawdigger, so forget that until someone reverse engineers the format (probably some minor extension).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

15mm shift is good for the 40mm, I'd be quite happy with that. However as I know mazing means pretty gross amounts of crosstalk I'd like to do more thorough tests on color fidelity before accepting 15mm a within the okay range for safe high end image making.

I guess you can say that mazing is the "stop range" where the image is truly ruined, but you have a zone before that where you have color fidelity significantly affected by crosstalk and how visible that is will be a lot "it depends", plus how good eyes you (or your clients) have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    15mm shift is good for the 40mm, I'd be quite happy with that. However as I know mazing means pretty gross amounts of crosstalk I'd like to do more thorough tests on color fidelity before accepting 15mm a within the okay range for safe high end image making.

I guess you can say that mazing is the "stop range" where the image is truly ruined, but you have a zone before that where you have color fidelity significantly affected by crosstalk and how visible that is will be a lot "it depends", plus how good eyes you (or your clients) have.
    Color is something very personal so...

Name:	17.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	115572

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Strange purple glow in the blacks, even on the image above. Also the neutral shades look a little green. Hopefully both related to the LCC bug

Post Thanks / Like

Now, the show time of the Sony CMOS sensor - dynamic range under long exposure!

First of all, it was lucky that I bracketed a bit for the long exposure shots so I have had just the right parameters for analysis!

Indeed, when Phase One wraps up the ISO settings (along with the dedicated long exposure mode for the IQ380 and IQ260) things can get very confusing - what is the real native ISO?

Instead of starting another long debate here, I employ a simpler method to try to minimize dispute:

I shoot each back at the lowest possible ISO (where for the IQ380 it is ISO 200 in the dedicated long exposure mode). I use the Lee Big Stopper. I shoot at the same aperture.

What I have found is that regardless of the difference of ISO among these three backs, indeed the same exposure time gave me about the same highlight headroom! See proof below: I converted all RAW files by Capture One v9.0.2 then checked the mean value of the fixed sky region. These are about the same.

Then I used the following settings for each image: I match the exposure of each image, then use the "Pick white balance tool" on the same spot, then push +100 shadow and pull +100 highlight, then disable noise reduction.

Note that for these two CMOS backs when I took the long exposure shot I disabled darkframe noise reduction by setting "Camera Mode" to "Aerial". This is indeed a key feature for landscape photography so to avoid waiting for the noise reduction countdown! Then for these three backs I moved the slider of "Single Pixel" to 1 (out of 100).

Now we look into the shadow: boom! You know what I'm talking about and why I am a fan of the Sony CMOS sensor! It is really the king in this kind of shootings! This is what I am willing to sacrifice other things for.

Name:  18.JPG
Views: 2118
Size:  240.2 KB

Name:	20.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	426.3 KB 
ID:	115579

Post Thanks / Like

This can turn out maximum painful for me, that is it will work, but on my lower limit of acceptable shift range plus having to play in the uncertainty zone concerning color fidelity. Aaaaaaaaaargh I could be sleepless for less.

It feels like "We can improve these five things but you need to sacrifice these three." At some point the "why am I messing with this stuff" feeling will get too large and it's SLR or even film for me...

Post Thanks / Like

By shooting the BClaff DR test chart, I have found that ISO 50 and ISO 100 are indeed the same for the IQ3100, i.e. ISO 50 behaves as an extended ISO (just like ISO 32 for Nikon D810).

Proof is attached below: just read the numbers. These dng files are converted by Capture One v9.0.2 so there is no blame for RawDigger to take.

Name:  22.JPG
Views: 2061
Size:  127.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great overview. I also notice the green cast on the LLC and hope the new version will fix it.

A question for you; you mentioned - "Note that for these two CMOS backs when I took the long exposure shot I disabled darkframe noise reduction by setting "Camera Mode" to "Aerial". This is indeed a key feature for landscape photography so to avoid waiting for the noise reduction countdown!" Any draw back by not doing the noise reduction countdown?

Top IQ3100, bottom IQ260
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EmptyName.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	115586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EmptyName 1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	404.0 KB 
ID:	115587  
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    Thanks for the great overview. I also notice the green cast on the LLC and hope the new version will fix it.

A question for you; you mentioned - "Note that for these two CMOS backs when I took the long exposure shot I disabled darkframe noise reduction by setting "Camera Mode" to "Aerial". This is indeed a key feature for landscape photography so to avoid waiting for the noise reduction countdown!" Any draw back by not doing the noise reduction countdown?

Top IQ3100, bottom IQ260
    You could use Capture One v9.0.1 to remove (perhaps almost completely) the color cast and I guess the 32HR will look very nice.

By not doing the noise reduction countdown, a CCD back (e.g. IQ260 or IQ380) will suffer from major degradation of image quality depending on the length of the exposure time. On the other hand, a CMOS back (e.g. IQ250 or IQ3100) will only introduce some hot pixels, which can be easily fixed when you move the slider of "Single Pixel" to 1 (out of 100) without impact of sharpness or details.

Post Thanks / Like

According to my friend from Sony's sensor department, the Phase One IQ3 100MP (IQ3100) is not based on the IMX161 technology of the IQ250. It is not based on the IMX251 technology (A7R-II) either. It is not a BSI design. The part number of the sensor used in the IQ3100 is something like IMX3??, which is still under NDA (Phase One exclusive? I doubt).

Post Thanks / Like

According to my friend from Sony's sensor department, the Phase One IQ3 100MP (IQ3100) is not based on the IMX161 technology of the IQ250. It is not based on the IMX251 technology (A7R-II) either. It is not a BSI design. The part number of the sensor used in the IQ3100 is something like IMX3??, which is still under NDA (Phase One exclusive? I doubt).
    The behavior does look a bit different than the others, so indeed it looks like something new. It's a nice surprise that something new can be introduced at the largest size first. Looks like Sony has taken the next little step in DR here first for example?

Post Thanks / Like

There's no obvious color issues in the 15mm shifted 40HR shot, and this is very promising. It's strange though that they've made the IQ3100 so different in saturation than the IQ380, it shouldn't be necessary. I'd like to analyze some raws myself at some point, preferably the 14 bit ones so I don't need to mess with the new format.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's no obvious color issues in the 15mm shifted 40HR shot, and this is very promising. It's strange though that they've made the IQ3100 so different in saturation than the IQ380, it shouldn't be necessary. I'd like to analyze some raws myself at some point, preferably the 14 bit ones so I don't need to mess with the new format.

Anders,

If you look at post #24 above, specifically at the wall above and below both sets of windows, the colour are quite different. The left set have a green shading, and the right set have a purple shading when compared to the IQ180 file.
    Last edited by jagsiva; 7th January 2016 at 08:09.

Post Thanks / Like

CA issue for 100MP is because that lens have CA measured in microns. In 80MP sensors, the pixel size is larger than 100MP one. For example, a lens have 12um CA will use 2 pixels to show residual color in 80MP back but takes 3-4 pixels to show in 100MP back.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/astral-ark/

Alpa 12 SWA + IQ 260 , 135 Old Lens Fans

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Anders,

If you look at post #24 above, specifically at the wall above and below both sets of windows, the colour are quite different. The left set have a green shading, and the right set have a purple shading when compared to the IQ180 file.
    I noted the differences and think they're surprisingly large. However it seems like the IQ3100 is overall more saturated, perhaps a bit oversaturated, but I'm not able to spot any obvious uniformity differences. The walls above and below the top left windows are indeed of different color which is suspicious (especially the duller gray above window has a typical crosstalk-desaturation look to it), but as its the same on the IQ380 I'm guessing it's an actual color difference of the wall, unless the 380 has similar issues.

Likewise it can be seen as suspicious that the brick wall is less saturated close to the upper edge, but I'm assuming that's a lighting/glare thing.

I know from previous analysis that the 80MP sensor has more issues with the rodies than the 60MP and I always thought the 60MP is a better choice for tech cam users that like to shift, but I never had a look on crosstalk-desaturation issues, so unfortunately I don't know if the IQ380 color can be trusted or not, but I would be surprised if it wouldn't handle 15mm shift of the 40mm.

On the other hand if you look at post #21 it's shown that the IQ3100 should have some issues at 15mm shift, it's a meaner lighting condition in the #21 test but there should be some effect there.

Say if it really is the case that the brick should be uniform saturation and the concrete(?) above and below the window should be the same color than the performance shown in #24 would not be acceptable to me personally, even if it obviously works as an image. So the color stability is something I'd like to have further investigated.

The scary thing about crosstalk is that its effects can easily pass undetected in the enthusiasm for lots of other CMOS advantages, meaning that we start compromising tonality and color fidelity -- that is one of the classic key selling points for medium format digital. It can be fully acceptable in many use cases but it is one aspect that at least I would want to fully understand before I would invest in this type of gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astralark View Post
    CA issue for 100MP is because that lens have CA measured in microns. In 80MP sensors, the pixel size is larger than 100MP one. For example, a lens have 12um CA will use 2 pixels to show residual color in 80MP back but takes 3-4 pixels to show in 100MP back.
    I have down-sampled the IQ3100 image to 80MP but it still has that purple glow there.

Name:  34.JPG
Views: 1802
Size:  111.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the purple glow is, but as it's in direct connection to a bright edge on that CCTV I'm thinking that it's some sort of internal reflection, could it be a reflection in the sensor glass or something? Just speculating. If it would have been normal CA of the lens I would have expected it to show more on other edges too, and of course be seen on the IQ380...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Diglloyd has observed something similar on the Leica S2. He found it was caused by insufficient filtering of either IR or UV, I don't recall. He discovered it was not visible on subjects illuminated bye LED-light, and started experimenting with IR and UV cut of filters.

Best regards
    Erik

I have down-sampled the IQ3100 image to 80MP but it still has that purple glow there.

Name:  34.JPG
Views: 1802
Size:  111.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

Diglloyd has observed something similar on the Leica S2. He found it was caused by insufficient filtering of either IR or UV, I don't recall. He discovered it was not visible on subjects illuminated bye LED-light, and started experimenting with IR and UV cut of filters.

Best regards
    Erik
    Could be, the blacks going purplish is a bit like the M8 issue IR cut off issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thumbs down Re: IQ3 100MP technical camera tests: color cast, mazing artifact, tiling issue, DR e

I don't know what the purple glow is, but as it's in direct connection to a bright edge on that CCTV I'm thinking that it's some sort of internal reflection, could it be a reflection in the sensor glass or something? Just speculating. If it would have been normal CA of the lens I would have expected it to show more on other edges too, and of course be seen on the IQ380...
    From what I see the high contrast area on the camera is affected by a purple fringing like there is a different lens in play, as I'm sure the lens is the same one solution about the problem is the IQ380 don't have micro lenses ... but IQ3100 maybe it have ...
    the noise perf. from what I see is in favor of the IQ250.. also there are some color completely different from CMOS to CCD ,, some wall in CCD are greenish,, the CMOS's are yellowish... but maybe there is some difference in white balance point, if not, think about making a good color profile of both camera... the result to me are very strange.

Best regards, Domenico.

Post Thanks / Like

All Dalsas since the P65+ have microlenses, that's why you can get the "micro lens ripple" artifact on symmetric wides (which C1 effectively can clean up). They're not at all as destructive to wide angle performance as the microlenses that existed on some Kodak sensors though.

The color difference is indeed strange, I expected it to be smaller. If the profiles are designed to make the cameras look the same they should look virtually the same. You could have some visible differences on high saturation colors or in narrow band light, but in the normal range the difference should not be as large as seen in the examples. So either the profiles are designed differently, there is some white balance issue or some other problem.

I'm not sure how Phase One design their digital back profiles, if they want to differentiate the looks between models, or if they want to make them look the same. Someone who knows?

Post Thanks / Like

torger,

I'm not sure how Phase One design their digital back profiles, if they want to differentiate the looks between models, or if they want to make them look the same. Someone who knows?
    As the author of this article, Doug may know. Read from the section: Screw Location - Color. Color. Color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AreBee View Post
    torger,

As the author of this article, Doug may know. Read from the section: Screw Location - Color. Color. Color.
    Thanks for the link. Reading it, it's hard for me to figure out if Doug's trying to provide actual information or just to convince current customers to take the CMOS jump after being fed with CMOS FUD in almost a decade

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thumbs up Re: IQ3 100MP technical camera tests: color cast, mazing artifact, tiling issue, DR e

Quote Originally Posted by AreBee View Post
    torger,

I remember this article, and I read it again, very well done, it's like a romance, of a project made from scratch to the highest levels and color color color with a mythology hero that live in a basement for months cooking the color profiles, a master druid that understand color better and second to none, I'm impressed in how many color research company that sell's their instrument / spectrophotometer and color targets to the entire World to calibrate check and proof the color precision from display to rotogravure print to fine art print to special application are so blind they doesn't understand that their effort only have the result in getting good reproduction of colors of their obsolete targets, well it's only a multi billion dollar color critic mass market...

Honor to the guys that made this magic possible !

But, I already don't know if the background in the image shown above is Yellow or Green, who knows ? for sure there is some human mistake.

Maybe who have made the shot can clarify it to understand which of the two or three is the more color accurate ?

Domenico.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that the IQ380 has inherited the corner issues of the IQ260 when doing really long exposure, i.e. for a single long exposure of around 16 minutes and beyond, the Dalsa CCD sensor would suffer from extra noise in the 4 corners of the frame, essentially making it into a crop frame.

Luckily with the new Sony CMOS sensor we are immune to this issue!

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	115639

Name:	LE_darkframe_IQ250_vs_IQ260_vs_P45plus_en.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	115638

Post Thanks / Like

Below shows the test of the 100MP with the 35mm HR (Digaron-S with 70mm IC). We can observe color cast but it cancels nicely with Capture One v9.0.1.

I haven't had time to thoroughly test this lens but my bet is that this lens will be mazing-free if you stay within the 70mm IC.

Name:  23.JPG
Views: 1636
Size:  201.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

We also did some comparison between the Rodenstock 35HR and the Phase One 35LS. Unfortunately the 35HR we tested had some problems with decentered Copal 0 shutter so the comparison of corner sharpness was rendered invalid. The Phase One 35LS is a really great lens with corner-to-corner sharpness as advertised. I wouldn't hesitate to say it is ready for 100MP. However the 35LS is very huge and bulky when you compare it against its Rodenstock siblings.

So far there is no visible difference of center sharpness as far as we can see if we stop down both lenses to f/8. However there is a visible difference in sharpness at f/4. I would imagine that the technical camera wide angle lenses may still provide some advantages in sharpness when compared against the Phase One lenses.

Name:  25.JPG
Views: 1536
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by voidshatter; 8th January 2016 at 01:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding tiling issue and vertical bandings, yes we confirm that when a wide angle technical camera lens is shifted along the shorter edge of the sensor to the extreme, all three digital backs can suffer from the tiling issue. In addition, the Sony CMOS sensors can suffer from another type of artifact - vertical banding. It would be helpful if future release of Capture One can correct this with LCC.

Note that if the lens is not shifted heavily, then the tiling issue is hardly observed on the Sony CMOS sensors. I will need to find another chance to further test the safe movement range to avoid tiling issues on these sensors.

For the vertical bandings, we always get it when a lens is shifted on these Sony CMOS sensors. So far this is true for almost all Rodenstock wide angle lenses (regardless of image circle) I have tested specifically for this case. It could become problematic for the sky.

Name:  26.JPG
Views: 1615
Size:  187.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

While I appreciate these test results, is it not fair to say that the results will be rendered mostly invalid after the new patch for C1 is released tomorrow (if delivered as promised)? I.e. the 100 will improve somewhat?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post