The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF User Manual Update and new ES Video

malmac

Thanks Doug.

Given we have just received our second-hand XF to run with our IQ180 back the manual will be most useful.

Mal

malmac

Well without starting a new thread - a few early comments on using the IQ180 and the XF.

Yes the camera is a very nice piece of kit - no argument there.

What do I specifically like about the camera?

Auto focus, better utilisation of the leaf shutter lenses without loosing functionality for not LS lenses.
The touch screen is clean and neat and sort of a sign of the times.

Unfortunately there are things that seem less endearing.
I would like more functions to be accessible via button while looking through the view finder.
Obviously I would like the iso to be controllable from the camera - with an IQ180 back that is just not going to happen.
I have changed the back scroll wheel to allow me to change modes without taking my eye from the viewfinder, however
with the old DF one button press and I could change my exposure compensation - can't work out how to do that without
playing with the touch screen.

So probably my main disappointment is how the camera, as yet, does not quite feel as natural in my hand as my old canon 1D Mk4. This could be explained as just familiarity (fair point) though I feel that mode, shutter, aperture, iso and exposure compensation - should be easily adjusted without taking my eye from the viewfinder. So I have some of those functions - mode, shutter, aperture.
iso - well suck that one up princess - not going to happen.
Exposure compensation - now can that be assigned to that front button? I could not see how to do that.

Notice I did not carry on about focus points.

Just a few comments for those considering the shift to an XF.

Mal