The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on Hasselblad X1D

rmatthews

Ha, I knew I was on dangerous ground suggesting no-one had done it before when there are so many on this forum who know so much more than me
That does indeed look very similar

hcubell

So I managed to pop in to the Richard Caplan store in London to have a bit of a play. Their display model has older firmware (I didn't see which version) and they believe it may also be slightly different hardware to the production models as they have had it for some months. It really does feel even smaller in hand than the specs suggest which I believe is a consequence of the handgrip extending out the front and back so more weight is in the (strong) palm of your hand rather than your fingers as with every other camera on the market. Very clever, obvious and surprising that no-one else has used this design before (at least that I'm aware of).

The performance of the one they have there is really quite slow, with an even longer blackout than I was expecting from having seen online reviews. I suspect this may be due to the pre-production firmware/hardware(?) - If anyone knows whether things have speeded up since the demo models that came out mid last year that would be helpful to know. Either way it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I generally take one photo at a time.

I did take some test photos on an sd card I brought with. The white balance was a bit odd on some of the photos but was easy enough to adjust in lightroom. Others the WB was spot on - I forgot to check what the white balance was set to in camera although as the resulting photos had different temperatures I assume it must have been set to auto, albeit a previous firmware version of it.

Focusing was quite snappy and I liked how magnified the MF was when I switched to that.

I did take one portrait of the nice gentleman who was helping me and it certainly does seem to give plenty of isolation and to my eyes converts to B+w nicely too. I will try and attach that to this post but don't really know what I'm doing so we'll see what happens when I click submit. The only edits are moving the colour temp up very slightly and the exposure slider to +0.3
Two points to note. First, the Auto White Balance has been very significantly improved in the latest firmware that was released last week. Second, the EVF blackout is MUCH longer if the camera is set to record both Raw files and JPEGs. The EVF blackout is much shorter if the camera is set to Raw only. Not an issue for me, as I never shot JPEGs anyway. My understanding is that the EVF blackout is tied to the readout with the Sony sensor used in the X1D. The GFX will presumably have the same issue when it is records raw files, but we don't know yet because the GFX bodies that Fuji has made available for demos have locked out the ability to shoot raw files.

Isn't it amazing that a shop would be trying to sell a $9,000 camera and would not have updated the firmware on their demo model? I saw the same happen at a dealer in Massachusetts. Not only did they have the old firmware in the camera, they had not even bothered to charge the battery. To be fair, they have lots of cameras that they sell and may not be aware of every firmware update. Hasselblad knows who has the demo X1Ds and should email them to make sure they do the updates.

I think he misunderstood that sentence about the lack of firmware being updated in the separate paragraph was in relation to the dealer and the X1D, NOT the Fuji's forward only shooting jpgs.

Anyway, if you liked the Q and want something along the same lines with more flexibility in terms of interchangeable lenses and bump in quality, etc. I think you will be very happy with the X1D. I have both and they really do make a great pair, especially for traveling. (I wish Leica would make a screw on telephoto adapter to make the 28 a 50mm.) Hasselblad is also clearly committed to updating the cameras functionality via firmware and the most recent was the first of More to come.

kscott

I think he misunderstood that sentence about the lack of firmware being updated in the separate paragraph was in relation to the dealer and the X1D, NOT the Fuji's forward only shooting jpgs.

Anyway, if you liked the Q and want something along the same lines with more flexibility in terms of interchangeable lenses and bump in quality, etc. I think you will be very happy with the X1D. I have both and they really do make a great pair, especially for traveling. (I wish Leica would make a screw on telephoto adapter to make the 28 a 50mm.) Hasselblad is also clearly committed to updating the cameras functionality via firmware and the most recent was the first of More to come.
Agreed. The X1D is pretty effortless to pick up, pack, and have with you, whether it's vacation or less deliberate excursions. I have shelves full of cameras that are technically better than the X1D at one thing or the other. The telling thing for me is which I reach for most often. I'm on a trip right now and the two cameras I carried are a Leica M with a 50, and the X1D with the 45 and 90. That gives me more options than I ever thought I would be able to have in a small bag of gear.

rmatthews

Thanks all
I have gone ahead and ordered the X1D with the 45mm. It seems to have all the features I need and all the hardware complaints I've read about are for things I wouldn't use. I actually see the lack of features as a positive as there is less for me to confused by.
I'm trading my Leica M for it and have rationalised it by thinking that even if I decide down the line that it isn't the right camera for me, the trade in value will probably still get me a better M than I had and a decent lens, whereas if I'd stayed with the 240 or upgraded to the M10 I'd always be looking at forums like this wondering if I should have made the move.
Looking forward to getting my hands on it soon..

Congrats!!!

You will enjoy it, hopefully they will are shipping in larger quantities, it seems like more and more people are getting their cameras.

Godfrey

That seems sound thinking. Good luck with it!

When I look at what the X1D offers, at this time it would be much more a replacement for my M than for my SL or 500CM. If they offer the 22-ish mm lens that would net me the "digital SWC" field of view that I want so much, I could easily see trading off the M system for the X1D to complement the SL system.

The only rub is that the X1D will never be as small, light, quick, and handy as the M ... it's simply a bigger camera with bigger lenses and a bigger format. Nothing wrong with that ... there's still justification for both. :)

G

tjv

The grip and form factor of the X1D seems closer to the mamiya 7 than anything else, in my opinion. The mamiya may not be digital and with the same dials, but there are some striking similarities! Exactly why I like the look of it...

DezFoto

I think you'd be best served by switching to a Leica SL and using your current Leica lenses on it, or selling everything and just getting a Sony system. The X1D is just a bigger, heavier system and honestly it's overkill for travel snaps and family photos.

As for shallow depth of field, you'll get a shallower DOF at any given aperture with a MF camera than you would a 35mm camera so long as your distance to subject and field of view match. The X1D is a cropped sensor though, so shooting the X1D with the 90mm lens wide open at f/3.2 you'd still get a shallower DOF with a Leica 75mm Summicron at f/2 (the closest field of view match).

rmatthews

I think you'd be best served by switching to a Leica SL and using your current Leica lenses on it, or selling everything and just getting a Sony system. The X1D is just a bigger, heavier system and honestly it's overkill for travel snaps and family photos.

As for shallow depth of field, you'll get a shallower DOF at any given aperture with a MF camera than you would a 35mm camera so long as your distance to subject and field of view match. The X1D is a cropped sensor though, so shooting the X1D with the 90mm lens wide open at f/3.2 you'd still get a shallower DOF with a Leica 75mm Summicron at f/2 (the closest field of view match).
Thanks.
I did think about the SL with M lenses but I don't find it overly comfortable and do want to try AF and the SL lenses are just much too big and heavy for me.
Sony make great cameras but are really the opposite of what I'm look for in terms of bells and whistles. I'm going to go with the X1D and if in 6 months or a year I decide it isn't working for me I will probably go back to an M. I'm hoping for more than travel snaps btw!

rmatthews

So...I just heard from my dealer that he has one coming in on Tuesday and will put it aside for me. :thumbup:
In an interesting twist I just popped in to a large department store in London where, because they don't really know what they're doing, they have the X1D and lenses on sale at about 10% less than they should do. It's a bit of a dilemma because the dealer I'm using has a whole bunch of my equipment that I am returning/part exchanging and I can't see an easy way logistically of backing out without seriously annoying them. Normally it would be a simple decision to stick with the dealer I use but on this occasion 10% is a lot of money....
In any case I think I'm going to have stick with him so although it hurts to pay that much more at least I can take some comfort from supporting my local dealer.
Anyway, exciting that I will likely have it in hand next week :)

Godfrey

So...I just heard from my dealer that he has one coming in on Tuesday and will put it aside for me. :thumbup:
In an interesting twist I just popped in to a large department store in London where, because they don't really know what they're doing, they have the X1D and lenses on sale at about 10% less than they should do. It's a bit of a dilemma because the dealer I'm using has a whole bunch of my equipment that I am returning/part exchanging and I can't see an easy way logistically of backing out without seriously annoying them. Normally it would be a simple decision to stick with the dealer I use but on this occasion 10% is a lot of money....
In any case I think I'm going to have stick with him so although it hurts to pay that much more at least I can take some comfort from supporting my local dealer.
I'm excited for you!

Sticking with the dealer who is taking care of you is the right thing to do, IMO, despite that it's going to cost you a bit of money. Too many times in recent years dealers who give personal service and take care of customers have been stiffed by people who found another source that gave them a lower price with no relationship, no service ... and many of those local dealers have gone out of business as a result. It happened to the best local dealer* in this area last Fall. We as buyers of photographic equipment need to pony up the extra to keep our local brick&mortar stores viable and profitable.

* I've sorely missed Keeble & Shuchat Photography in Palo Alto, California. Not only did they often have little bits I had to struggle to find elsewhere, but they were good people who always did right by me, gave me a place to stop and stroll through, chat a little when they weren't busy, and helped me decide what gear was actually worth putting money down on. I didn't buy everything from them, but I always tried to give them back in sales reasonable value for the service, good will, and friendship they gave willingly.

G

ejpeiker

If you have a relationship with the dealer, perhaps bringing the dilemma to their attention might at least get you some accessories at a discount. They probably can't discount the camera due to not wanting to annoy Hasselblad this early in the game but maybe they can throw in some extras like a spare battery or something....

rmatthews

If you have a relationship with the dealer, perhaps bringing the dilemma to their attention might at least get you some accessories at a discount. They probably can't discount the camera due to not wanting to annoy Hasselblad this early in the game but maybe they can throw in some extras like a spare battery or something....
Good idea. Not sure how much margin these dealers make but I may even tip him off where he can get more stock and make an easy 10% :)

hcubell

Amazing. There are multiple people in the UK who claim they have been waiting for an X1D and can't get their dealer to deliver it. Yet, here is a department store of all places who not only have an X1D in stock with lenses, but are offering what amounts to a 10% discount to boot.

Christopher

Not only one. Or st least last time I was in London. I found two department stores selling it right away. Strange world.