Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on architectural with GFX, image circle and lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: thoughts on architectural with GFX, image circle and lens.

New test.
    I have a few different lenses that I tried on the GFX.
    While the Fuji lenses are amazing on the GFX (even at wide open) my test of the Hasselblad CF T* 40mm FLE ay f11 and 16 shows very good results. (Compared to the 32-64mm zoom at 40mm).
    First the GFX 32-64 at f8 (at around 41mm)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_Fuji GFX50 32-64ZOOM-1695.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	829.8 KB 
ID:	131689  

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the Carl Zeiss CF T* FLE 40mm at f11 on the GFX. My adapter was fixed so I was no able to test with the lens shifted, but the lens looks very corrected and sharp to the corners at f11.
    At f5.6 the extreme corners are not great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_Fuji GFX50 40mmZeissT*FLE hassy -1734.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	838.0 KB 
ID:	131691.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the Canon 17mm TS-E on the Fuji GFX 50s with the Steelsring adapter. At zero shift, zero tilt. f8.

Name:	01_GFX-17mm at zero-1746.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	874.5 KB 
ID:	131694
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the 17mm Canon TS-E at 12mm full shift. The edge of the image circle is evident on the left of the image. I presume the vignetting on the right of the image is happening from some sort of vignette inside the Steelsring adapter or the GFX mount. I'm just guessing. In any case, the 17mm TSE lens should not have an acceptable image circle at this extreme shift, so unless the corners are only sky, this is more shift then we're supposed to get.

Name:	02_GFX 17mm at plus 12-1767.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	730.1 KB 
ID:	131695

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you like curvature on the edges, you can forget the 1.4X Canon Teleconverter on the 17mm TS-E. Here at f8. It is sharp in the center if that's good enough for you.

Name:	01_GFX-17mmCanon with Teleconverter -1782.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	838.4 KB 
ID:	131697
    17mm TSE combined with Canon 1.4X teleconverter III (the teleconverter does not show up in metadata)

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a photo from the fuji 23mm at f4. Perfectly corrected and sharp corners wide open.

Name:	01_Fuji GFX 23mm Fuji Lens-1656.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	830.6 KB 
ID:	131698

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the link to the Hotel photos on Flickr at full resolution. Sharpening in Lightroom at 50, Chromatic Aberration Correction checked. No other clarity or vignetting correction applied.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaqQN2Z

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That 23 is quite impressive! My most-used lens is the Leica S 24, and its extreme corners never clean up that well.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

This is all very helpful - thank you!
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had the chance to test the new Canon 50/90/135 TSEs

Do we know what their image circles are?

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alatreille View Post
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the chance to test the new Canon 50/90/135 TSEs

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Andrew
    The TS-E 90mm L is excellent on the GFX: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4245696
    No vignetting on the GFX with full shift to the long side. Sharp across the whole frame - right into the corners at full shift.
    Best shift lens I have used so far.
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for this.
    I thought they'd be spectacular, but fantastic to have it confirmed!
    Cheers
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by marc aurel View Post
    The TS-E 90mm L is excellent on the GFX: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4245696
    No vignetting on the GFX with full shift to the long side. Sharp across the whole frame - right into the corners at full shift.
    Best shift lens I have used so far.
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrismuc View Post
    I tried the Leica S (007) once at the Photokina but focus accuracy with the S 100f2 was mediocre and they told me that the S system does not have auto focus micro adjustment, so this already reduced my interest in the system. Another reason is my experience with reliability of Leica products: All my Leica M components had to see Leica service (Leica M9 for sensor exchange and focus adjustment, M50f1.4 asph. FLE for focus precision adjustment and focus ring too tight, M75f2 asph. FLE for focus precision adjustment and didn't reach infinity). Then if you read the nightmare reports in the Leica S forums (sensor cracks, sensor corrosion, af failure, electronics issues ...) plus no S camera or lens announcements since several years and considering the Leica boutique prices you are wondering what kind of policy Leica is following.

Since the arrival of the Fuji GFX and Hasselbald 1XD systems, Leica is no longer alone in the crop MF universe. I use the Fuji GFX since day one of market release, now with the 23/ 45/ 63/ 110 lenses, plus I have extended experience with the Fuji X series using X-E1/ X-E2/ X-T1/ X-T2 cams and a variety of X series prime and zoom lenses over the years and all I can say is: Fuji products are extremely reliable (plus very frequent firmware updates that remove bugs and add functions or improve af speed and accuracy), I didn't have a single failure with any Fuji product and the GFX and the four primes surpass image quality any system I ever had: the Fuji version of the Sony sensor - even released 2014 - is visibly better (color accuracy, skin tones, 'pop', dynamic range/shadow recovery, sharpness due to small micro lenses) than the sensors of the Sony A7RII and the IQ180 and the GF primes are all on Otus level. I love the manual operation of the camera, the tiltable screen is very useful for candid shots (camera at waist level with screen tilted upwards) as well as for architecture shots by hand (camera position above head level with screen tilted downwards to reduce keystone), the many outside-center focus points and the face/eye detection AF function are such a help for portrait shots, all these features the Leica S does not provide.

100 MP, quicker phase-detect AF with even more focus points, an EVF with possibly higher resolution or at least reduced black-out time and higher refresh rate can be expected to come on the market within 2019 in the next camera body generation, the GF 250f4 plus 1.4x extender soon will add a tele lens, with the Steel Canon EF and Contax 645 AF adapters I can use my TSE lenses and Sigma Art lenses for very shallow DOF and the C645 lenses with auto-focus, this package and the perspective makes the investment into the GFX ecosystem very reasonable, also considering the rather moderate price level of the GFX components compared to the comparable Leica and Hasselblad offers.

IMO other than the absolute preference of an OVF camera and the 'look' of the S 006 Kodak CCD sensor I see little reason to invest in the S system.

Hi Chris,
    I followed your post regarding shift lens option for quite long now, and it had always been very helpful.
    I have a question regarding shift lenses on the gfx... as an architectural photographe i'm working on sony FF +shift lenses option since the first a7r... i'm very interested on your feed back on sony a7riii vs gfx for architectural shot.
    I see more and more people using this cam on architcture, and don't really get the benefice vs the last sony ff.
    Doing architecture, i'm most often need to correct for distorsion even with shift lenses, and find the C1 correction tool very important, how do you work on this with the gfx?
    How are the lenses working on the gfx ? Smearing ? What fstop is needed?
    Did you made any comparaison, say: 17tse on the sony // 24 tse on the gfx? Or 24 on the ff //35 on the gfx?
    You talked about keystone correction, does this mean that you are now working with straigh lenses and then keytsone correcting? I'm fine with that(that what i do when working with my leicas), but if so, why ? due to poor compatibility with shift system?
    Last, what do you feel this sytem bring you for architectural shot?
    Thanks
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiroshiS View Post
    Dear all,

I am considering getting the Mirex adaptor to use my Hasselblad V lenses. Since I also have a Nikon body I would get the Mirex Nikon version and then an additional adapter to the GFX. I was wondering whether I should expect any differences in the amount of available shift between the Nikon or Canon Mirex versions (because of differences in the opening or mount)? Or is the amount of shift that can be applied only determined by the image circle of the lens?

Thanks!
    I would suggest to use the Kipon Hasselblad V - Fuji GF adapter (15mm shift in any direction, no tilt). Advantages: Only one adapter (= cheaper, less risk of flex), larger central opening (= less risk of adapter vignetting). I use it with CF 50, 100, 180. Works perfectly.

Before I used the Mirex Hasselblad V - Canon EF tilt/shift adapter plus a Fotodiox Canon EF - Fuji GF adapter. Also works fine. I am not 100% sure if this adapter combo also allowed full 15 mm shift on the GFX without any vignetting due to the Mirex ... I think it was ok ... must check again (but I have these adapter not on hand right now).

The diameter of the Nikon mount is a bit smaller than the Canon so maybe for that combination of adapters the risk of vignetting due to the adapter(s) is a bit higher, but that's just my guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daf View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I followed your post regarding shift lens option for quite long now, and it had always been very helpful.
    I have a question regarding shift lenses on the gfx... as an architectural photographe i'm working on sony FF +shift lenses option since the first a7r... i'm very interested on your feed back on sony a7riii vs gfx for architectural shot.
    I see more and more people using this cam on architcture, and don't really get the benefice vs the last sony ff.
    Doing architecture, i'm most often need to correct for distorsion even with shift lenses, and find the C1 correction tool very important, how do you work on this with the gfx?
    How are the lenses working on the gfx ? Smearing ? What fstop is needed?
    Did you made any comparaison, say: 17tse on the sony // 24 tse on the gfx? Or 24 on the ff //35 on the gfx?
    You talked about keystone correction, does this mean that you are now working with straigh lenses and then keytsone correcting? I'm fine with that(that what i do when working with my leicas), but if so, why ? due to poor compatibility with shift system?
    Last, what do you feel this sytem bring you for architectural shot?
    Thanks
    David
    Hi David,

thanks for your nice words.

As mentioned previously, I use for architecture photography always the same set of lenses: Canon TSE17, Canon TSE24, Contax 645 35 (pre-set to f11)+ Mirex shift adapter, Hasselblad CF50/ 100/ 180 + Mirex (or Kipon for GFX) shift adapter. First I used them with the Alpa FPS and IQ180 in order to achieve the 'ultimate' solution for architecture photography (avoiding a technical camera set-up with Schneider and/or Rodenstock lenses that I don't like much due to the corner color cast issues). When the Sony A7RII was released I bought it first as a back up but it proved to be so good (42 MP are mostly sufficient and the DR/shadow recovery is just great) so I started to use this system more and more (made me really lazy not to have to carry the heavy FPS set-up, also you can work quicker, especially during the short sun-down period you get more perspectives). The Fuji is like the Sony, just a bit - but visibly - better and I like shooting with the Fuji SO MUCH MORE than with the Sony. The first generation A7 IMO was a catastrophy in handling, the A7RII is acceptable but no real joy and the Fuji is - for my taste - nearly perfect, a 'real camera', not a menu-based computer with a sensor and a lens.

Regarding using 135 format lenses on the Fuji it is as mentioned in threads before. They have a certain image circle and within that, the image is sharp, outside smearing in the corners start. Of course the usable shift range on the Fuji is smaller than on the Sony due to the larger sensor of the Fuji. But on the other hand the angle of view is larger due to the same reason. At the end of the day, both systems achieve the same maximum angle of view within the sharp image circle.

Distortion correction, C1. I don't use Capture One, only ACR and Photoshop. The Canon TSE lenses have rather little distortion which I mostly correct directly in ACR. For correcting the Contax and Hasselbald lenses I normally use the Alpa lens correction plug-in. I adapted suitable correction files for the Sony and the Fuji cameras (I can share). This plug-in is very usable because you can correct the geometrical distortion under consideration of the applied shift movement. The distortion of the Fuji lenses is already applied in the camera/in the raw file.

F-stop. In 90% of the cases I use f11 for all lenses and shots for architecture. f8 might not have enough dof, f16 too much loss of sharpness due to diffraction. Sometimes f13 of f16 if more dof needed, especially with motives nearer to the camera or for interior design photography.

Keystone: Normally I try to avoid keystone correction in pp. If I use shift lenses this is seldomly required. In my post I refered to the usage of for example the 23mm GF lens without tripod for an architecture motive. Because that lens has no shift, I tried to hold the camera as high as possible but still had to tilt it a but upwards to catch the scenery. Then in post I corrected the converging vertical lines with keystone function in ACR.
    Enclosed the result. Btw., a very contrasty motive, so the look of the image is a bit HDR like (but from a single raw file).

Comparing lenses on cameras with different sensor sizes. That's difficult because first one would need two lenses with focal lengths ratios that exactly would have to match the sensor size ratios. 24/17 or 35/24 does not match exactly 44/36mm sensor width for example. Second the longer focal length lens would need an image circle to allow 44/33 x shift value of the smaller focal length on the smaller sensor in order to match the same angle of view. Very roughly shifting 15mm with the 35mm lens on the Fuji would match shifting 12mm with the 24mm lens on the Sony. But still the angle of view of the shifted 35mm on the Fuji is slightly smaller than shifted 24mm on the Sony ... Anyhow, both solutions provide very good results, and as mentioned before IMO the FUJI result is just 'a bit better' or like I called it in another thread, - besides the slightly higher resolution - the Fuji files look a bit more 'relaxed', less 'stressed' because the pixels of the Fuji are a bit larger than the Sony's :-)

Btw., this comparison of the two systems is pretty detailed and tells quite the same story:
    https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/son...-fuji-gfx-50s/

I think you simply must try the Fuji system and in case you see an advantage in image quality compared to the Sony, you must decide youself if the investment is worth for you the system change.

All best, Chris

Name:	2048_DSF7532.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	662.4 KB 
ID:	132286
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

enclosed a test with the GFX plus TSE17
    Ý*f16, pano from two pics shift +/- 12mm
    - some vignetting in the corners
    - some smearing towards the shifted edges (but no so terrible: see left lower corner crop)
    quite astonishing which extrem angle of view one can catch in such high resolution (12745x6137pixel)

(the buildings in the pic look rather 'distorted' but actually they are curved and don't stand parallel to the sensor)

Name:	m_DSF7749-pano.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	589.5 KB 
ID:	132414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_DSF7749-pano_crop.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	753.9 KB 
ID:	132415
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

@ Chrismusc : Thanks a lot !
    As always, it has been well explanned and very helpfull.
    I might try one at time, but i'm a long C1 user, and it might be easier for me to stay with the sony (even if i have the same bad feeling regarding the sony camera...)

Post Thanks / Like

The 50mm is brilliant, right up to the maximum shift range. It gets a lot more use now too that it's slightly wider. Only wish the 24 was anywhere near as good.

Quote Originally Posted by alatreille View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone,

Thank You so much for your input. I have finally rented one to test it out. liveview seems more amazing and focus much faster than I could on Canon out in the field by using the EVF. Digital leveling seems unsensitive compare to Canon.

Here's some really dull shots of the wall. I am an arch/id photographer, the intent for is test is to determine if these lens have enough image circle for shifting upwards and to how many mm could they go.

tech info: mirex P645 to EF ts adapter, P67 to 645 adapter, Kipon EF to GFX adapter, C1 pro (yes, this morning I was still doing the EXIF converting and suddenly all thing changes, it's really exciting isn't?) EF to GF adapter was giving "lens error" issues so I could not test out the Canon 90mm TS E and Canon 24mm TS E 10mm shift, these are 100% jpegs, full size, zero sharpening, zero CA corrections, processed by C1 pro 11.3

Lens test list:

Canon 17mm TS E
    Canon 24mm TS E
    Schneider 28mm PC
    Contax Zeiss 35mm PC Distagon
    Pentax 645 45-85mm
    Pentax 645 80-160mm
    Pentax 645 75mm
    Pentax 645 120mm macro
    Pentax 67 135mm macro

wish to test:

Pentax 645 HD D FA 35mm ( I have seen a low res brick wall photo before, the distortion is easy to correct )
    Pentax 67 55-100mm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v26pkdhlql..._on_GFX50S.zip

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Inspired by this post I just bought a TechArt adapter. But I am having problems (no manual in the box or on the website):

When I use my EF-lenses with the adapter the GFX seems to go in a forced 35mm crop mode: 3:2 is yellow in the menu of the camera and I cannot change this. All the files are only 6768x4512 px big (or better: small). My GFX is on firmware version 3.2. I donīt know how to check the firmware version of the adapter. Updating of the adapter is not possible because I use windows 7 64 bit or a MacBook Pro (tried it both).

Maybe I am missing something? Can you help?

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TriElmar View Post
    Hi,

Inspired by this post I just bought a TechArt adapter. But I am having problems (no manual in the box or on the website):

When I use my EF-lenses with the adapter the GFX seems to go in a forced 35mm crop mode: 3:2 is yellow in the menu of the camera and I cannot change this. All the files are only 6768x4512 px big (or better: small). My GFX is on firmware version 3.2. I donīt know how to check the firmware version of the adapter. Updating of the adapter is not possible because I use windows 7 64 bit or a MacBook Pro (tried it both).

Maybe I am missing something? Can you help?

Thank You!
    This is a setting of the camera, not of the adapter.
    Go to: menu/shooting settings/mount adapter setting/35mm mode/
    Set it to "Off".
    If you set it to "Auto" or "On" it will use 35mm crop mode on all non native Fuji lenses.
    Better is to set one of the function buttons for that. You can switch very fast.

Regards -
    Marc
    Last edited by marc aurel; 1st October 2018 at 07:03.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is a setting of the camera, not of the adapter.
    Go to: menu/shooting settings/mount adapter setting/35mm mode/
    Set it to "Off".
    If you set it to "Auto" or "On" it will use 35mm crop mode on all non native Fuji lenses.
    Better is to set one of the function buttons for that. You can switch very fast.

Regards -
    Marc
    Thank you Marc!

Now it works perfectly with my Canon TS-E 24mm II. A distortion correction of -3 in ACR (unshifted) seems to be all it needs and images look perfect.

Does anyone know how the native 4/23mm lens compares to the Canon TS-E 24mm II image quality wise?

Kind regards,
    J. J.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TriElmar View Post
    Thank you Marc!

Now it works perfectly with my Canon TS-E 24mm II. A distortion correction of -3 in ACR (unshifted) seems to be all it needs and images look perfect.

Does anyone know how the native 4/23mm lens compares to the Canon TS-E 24mm II image quality wise?

Kind regards,
    J. J.
    Hi J.J.

a distortion correction for the unshifted image should not be necessary. I am quite sure that this results from the GFX embedding a correction profile for the Fuji 63mm lens to any lens it does not know (a behaviour which should be corrected by Fuji). The Techart adapter can prevent this. But you have to press the silver button on the adapter ANY TIME you switch on the camera - which should be changed by Techart. Removing the embedded profile should be the standard behaviour without having to press a button. Just doesn't make sense this way. This hassle is the reason why I recommend anybody to buy the Steelsring adapter instead of the Techart.

Best regards -
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hi J.J.

a distortion correction for the unshifted image should not be necessary. I am quite sure that this results from the GFX embedding a correction profile for the Fuji 63mm lens to any lens it does not know (a behaviour which should be corrected by Fuji). The Techart adapter can prevent this. But you have to press the silver button on the adapter ANY TIME you switch on the camera - which should be changed by Techart. Removing the embedded profile should be the standard behaviour without having to press a button. Just doesn't make sense this way. This hassle is the reason why I recommend anybody to buy the Steelsring adapter instead of the Techart.

Best regards -
    Marc
    Hi Marc,

Thank you for this important information!
    If you forget to press the button and use Adobe ACR you cannot remove the Fuji 63mm lens profile, even if you uncheck the respective box. It seems to be baked into the RAW file (not only the JPEG). But there is hope: Using Capture One you can choose the "Generic" profile in the lens correction menu. Then the Fuji lens profile is removed and you are all set.

Kind regards,
    J. J.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

What about the internal vignetting cause by the adapter itself ? Any difference between the Techart and Steeelsring there ?
    On some pics made with wide-angle lenses one can clearly see the internal frame getting in the way.

Thanks
    Frederic

Post Thanks / Like

everyone, meet the light weight architectural / interior GFX 50R

Name:  5DR_9155 1.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  563.1 KB
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haihan View Post

Why so many pan heads? It will surely be a little bit lighter still with only two instead of three of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the Pentax 35 HD? How is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Audii-Dudii,

Yeah, I agree it's kinda over kill, but here's my take - the first layer of leveling half ball head give me fast leveling when I am on the ground, especially uneven ground where there's no time to adjust the tripod legs that often. second layer give precision leveling, the RRS pan head on top is just - I had enough with the linhof tightening knot, it's filmsy.

Give and take.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Why so many pan heads? It will surely be a little bit lighter still with only two instead of three of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Schafphoto,

Yes, It's great up to 5mm shift up, anything beyond will be mushy. Oh, here's the test shot:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tzu9jgctt...DFA35.zip?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Schafphoto View Post
    Is that the Pentax 35 HD? How is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Audii-Dudii,

Yeah, I agree it's kinda over kill, but here's my take - the first layer of leveling half ball head give me fast leveling when I am on the ground, especially uneven ground where there's no time to adjust the tripod legs that often. second layer give precision leveling, the RRS pan head on top is just - I had enough with the linhof tightening knot, it's filmsy.

Give and take.
    I understood why you were using the first two, but the RRS one on top was a puzzle to me.

But "just because" works for me!

Heck, probably half of the decisions I make about the gear I use are based on the same rationale ... lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm a bit late for this thread. Just got my GFX 50R a few month back, I'm using the Canon 24mm TS-E adapted and the Fujifilm 32-64 which is very good but I find I need shift capavility at around 32-35. For that matter I would like to ask if anyone have used the Canon FD 35mm Tilt Shift lens on the GFX? Seems like a good alternative but haven't found any threads relating to conclusions using this combo. Many Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    I'm a bit late for this thread. Just got my GFX 50R a few month back, I'm using the Canon 24mm TS-E adapted and the Fujifilm 32-64 which is very good but I find I need shift capavility at around 32-35. For that matter I would like to ask if anyone have used the Canon FD 35mm Tilt Shift lens on the GFX? Seems like a good alternative but haven't found any threads relating to conclusions using this combo. Many Thanks!
    Iím using the Pentax 645 35mm with a Kipon adapter. Thereís a decent amount of shift available. The Contax 645 35 should also work well. Incidentally, the Contax lens profile in C1 works well for the Pentax too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just setting off down this route as my aged Digital back died this week and I guessed the repair costs would be not a lot less than a Fuji 50R body.

I had a bit of a mad tear yesterday and ordered contax and H shift adapters and a Contax 35 and a Hassleblad 50 FLE. I'm hoping that these achieve acceptable quality. I was really impressed with the results on this thread, but buying old lenses that are good is challenging.

My plan is to add these 35 and 50 to my existing TSE-17 and TSE-24 and to hope that Fuji fill the hole in their prime sequence with a 30 Shift lens at some point.

I've been shooting with SK 35/47 on Aptus 75 and I would say that the best performance from the Fuji 32-64 zoom is comparable to those. So I'm hopeful.

If anyone has revised their opinions about the use of these older film lenses as a solution since the earlier posts, I'd be very interested to know. If the Hassleblad 50 does not work out, I will buy the TS-E 50, but in the case of the Contax 35 there are not a lot of other options I can see that offer reasonable shift. Certainly the Pentax 645 option is not quite sufficient for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Pentax A 35mm (manual focus lens) has a better reputation for edge sharpness than the FA 35mm version. However, it is prone to flair.

BTW, has anyone been using the GFX Actus body for architectural work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Don't bother with the Canon FD 35mm T/S lens. I've owned two copies of this, one used on a Sony A7R and one used on a Fuji X-T2. Considering its age, it's a really nice lens. However, you will not be happy on your GFX. Even on my little Fuji X-T2 I found that other lenses were better. Believe it or not the Olympus OM 35mm f/2.8 lens was better for shift (at f/8 and f/11) than the Canon lens.

I've also owned the SMC Pentax-A 645 35mm f/3.5 twice, once on that A7R, and now for my Fuji GFX 50R. It's the widest lens I can make work on my Toyo VX23D outfit. Yes, you can get 10mm of shift on a GFX sensor. You can actually get 12mm if you want to push it. But you won't be thrilled with far shifted edge if it's supposed to have a lot of detail even at 10mm. Below 10mm it's fine.

I compared the Pentax-A to the Pentax-FA versions and chose the manual A because it's smaller and lighter, has a slightly shorter focal length than the FA version, and performed better across the whole image circle. The FA version was a bit sharper in the centre, but worse at the edges. I have not had any problems with flare and ghosting, but I use a shade.

Bottom-line: I don't think you'll find a better lens in this focal length for a GFX outfit. If you do, please let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Iím using the Pentax 645 35mm with a Kipon adapter. Thereís a decent amount of shift available. The Contax 645 35 should also work well. Incidentally, the Contax lens profile in C1 works well for the Pentax too.
    I'd love to use a Contax 645 35, but how would you operate the aperture? Or would you get it to f/8 (or whatever you like to use) with another body and just leave it there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    I'd love to use a Contax 645 35, but how would you operate the aperture? Or would you get it to f/8 (or whatever you like to use) with another body and just leave it there?
    This is why I use the Pentax, it has an aperture ring. Itís also a fantastic lens.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I do when I use mine with my various FrankenKameras!

But another alternative is to have Cambo modify the lens by removing the focusing helical and replacing the electronic aperture with a mechanical one, turning it into an "Actar 35": https://cambousa.com/distagon-35-ret...or-cambo-actus

Of course, with the conversion costing $1075 plus shipping in addition to the cost of the lens itself, this is not a particularly cost-effective option. And especially not if one doesn't already own a Cambo Actus or modified Toyo VX23D with which to use it, because with the focusing helical removed, using it mounted directly on a GFX body will be tricky and require a custom-made lens adapter.

That said, though, this lens performs very well indeed -- especially if one is partial to the "Zeiss look," as I am -- so this option is not without merit for those who already own one and/or an Actus or VX23D to mount it on.

Of course, another Contax / Zeiss option is the Contax / Yashica 35/f2.8 PC lens, which also performs very well and Zeiss-like, and projects an image circle large enough to cover a 33x44 sensor with room to spare for a small amount of shift movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to say that I ordered a Kipon GFX-Contax shift adapter from B&H and made certain false assumptions about how it would work. I assumed it meant 'shift' as it is commonly misused in 'tilt-shift'

These shift adapters really are shift adapters in the large format sense and only work in a horizontal axis, they cannot perform rise and fall movements.

Luckily B&H are good about returns, but I could have saved some hassle if I'd looked more carefully at the photos and not made the incorrect assumption.

I saw that Mirex adapters are referred to in earlier posts and I'll have to look into this option next. Not sure that they still make all the variations though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by free1000 View Post
    Just to say that I ordered a Kipon GFX-Contax shift adapter from B&H and made certain false assumptions about how it would work. I assumed it meant 'shift' as it is commonly misused in 'tilt-shift'

These shift adapters really are shift adapters in the large format sense and only work in a horizontal axis, they cannot perform rise and fall movements.

Luckily B&H are good about returns, but I could have saved some hassle if I'd looked more carefully at the photos and not made the incorrect assumption.

I saw that Mirex adapters are referred to in earlier posts and I'll have to look into this option next. Not sure that they still make all the variations though.
    This one? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ax_645_to.html?
    Can't you pull the locking pin on the side to rotate the shift direction?

Post Thanks / Like

All of the tilt-shift adapters available these days have their roots in the Mirex design, which allows you shift, or rise-fall, but not both at the same time. Additionally, you can have tilt and shift, or you can have swing and rise-fall, but you can't have tilt and rise-fall, which I've always found problematic because they do a kind of base tilt (meaning you have to recompose after tilting).

There are some work-arounds. With a Sony A7R-type camera, you can get some more flexibility by putting a medium format tilt-shift adapter onto a 35mm format adapter, and mounting both onto the camera. I used to shoot a Pentax 645 to Canon Mirex adapter mounted onto a Mirex Canon to Sony E adapter. This gave me the ability to combine tilt, swing, shift, rise and fall. The thing about Mirex adapters is you have to flock the inside, which is a pain.

I'm now using a Fuji GFX 50R on the back of a Toyo VX23D. It's a heavier setup, but much more flexible than messing around with tilt-shift adapters.

Post Thanks / Like

All of the tilt-shift adapters available these days have their roots in the Mirex design, which allows you shift, or rise-fall, but not both at the same time.
    It's a bit of a different mindset vs. a camera with separate XY controls. You can get shift and rise simultaneously by rotating the adapter into a diagonal position. For some this is a more elegant way of positioning the lens, others will find it cumbersome to not be able to isolate the XY vectors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This one? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ax_645_to.html?
    Can't you pull the locking pin on the side to rotate the shift direction?
    I may be making an error, I'm away from home till Thursday evening, but when I get back I'll take a couple of shots of the adapter and maybe you can help me work out if I'm being a complete ignoramus. I've not been sleeping well so its quite possible that I'm misunderstanding this.

The adapter looks very well made so I don't want to be negging on them if I am at error here as it would be doing everyone a disservice and if I'm in error I'll happily keep this adapter anyway.

When the adapter is rotated 90 degrees so the shift axis is rise and fall/ vertical, then the aperture in the adapter is at 90 degrees to the sensor orientation. So it looks as though the image will be cropped.

I'm now wondering if this really matters though as light rays should pass through the nodal point which will be smaller than that reduced aperture.

I was possibly being confused by the fact that there is a mounting foot on the front of the adapter and this always is fixed relative to the shift axis, which means that the adapter can be used for rise and fall so long as the camera is mounted on the tripod and not the adapter.

The fixed orientation of the foot means it can only be used when shifting horizontally. If the camera is rotated when the foot is mounted, then the camera is then in portrait orientation and stitching left and right.
    Last edited by free1000; 4th September 2019 at 06:13.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be making an error, I'm away from home till Thursday evening, but when I get back I'll take a couple of shots of the adapter and maybe you can help me work out if I'm being a complete ignoramus. I've not been sleeping well so its quite possible that I'm misunderstanding this.

The adapter looks very well made so I don't want to be negging on them if I am at error here as it would be doing everyone a disservice and if I'm in error I'll happily keep this adapter anyway.

When the adapter is rotated 90 degrees so the shift axis is rise and fall/ vertical, then the aperture in the adapter is at 90 degrees to the sensor orientation. So it looks as though the image will be cropped.

I'm now wondering if this really matters though as light rays should pass through the nodal point which will be smaller than that reduced aperture.

I was possibly being confused by the fact that there is a mounting foot on the front of the adapter and this always is fixed relative to the shift axis, which means that the adapter can be used for rise and fall so long as the camera is mounted on the tripod and not the adapter.

The fixed orientation of the foot means it can only be used when shifting horizontally. If the camera is rotated when the foot is mounted, then the camera is then in portrait orientation and stitching left and right.
    I've been considering these as well, so just trying to understand if they work the same as earlier Kipon/Mirex shift adapters. I hadn't seen one with a built in foot - will be interested to hear more about yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been considering these as well, so just trying to understand if they work the same as earlier Kipon/Mirex shift adapters. I hadn't seen one with a built in foot - will be interested to hear more about yours.
    I'll send you some images when I get home. I'd really like go get that to work. I have a Hassleblad 50 FLE on the way and I've ordered a Contax->Hassleblad adapter. Another 'doh' moment was when I realised I just needed a GFX to Contax adapter and then a dumb adapter ring from Contax to H. Fotodiox do one for about $60 so I ordered one.

More on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schafphoto View Post
    Well I was using the lenses at f8 and focusing in the exact center with 100% live view and focus peaking. Do you suggest another better way? Iíll do the tests again.

-Schaf
    Field curvature of the TS-E Lenses requires that the edges be focused with live view instead of focus sing at the center.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, here's an update to my research:

The Canon 50mm TS-E is amazing even very acceptable at the corners during 12mm shift on 44x33.

Here are the nodal points with RRS:

Canon 24 TS E ii - 3.3
    Canon 50 TS E - 4.6
    Canon 90 TS E - 7.5

Pentax HD D FA 645 35 - 3.1

Pentax 645 55 - 5.8

Pentax 645 75 - 8.0

Pentax 645 120 - 7.0
    Fujifilm GF 63 - 9.5

Fujifilm GF 32-64 - @32 5.5 / @44 5.3 / @50 5.2 / @64 5.9

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I can comment with some experience of these now. My capsule review.

1) Well made adapters, I bought both the GFX->Contax and GFX->Hassleblad versions
    2) They have a Arca foot mounted such that they can be used for Panorama stitching. I don't use this, but find it a useful 'handle' for rotating the shift axis if I need to do that.
    3) I like the kind of metal they are made in, looks very nice, sort of titanium coloured.
    4) I tried the GFX->Contax adapter with a Contax->Hassleblad adapter first. This introduced strong internal flare.
    5) I then ordered the GFX->Hassleblad version and this reduced but did not eliminate the internal flare, however I can remove that with a Lee compendium lens hood (bellows) so that's fine.
    6) Having discovered that the Contax lenses required pre-setting as they did not have an aperture ring, I returned the GFX->Contax adapter for a refund.

My feeling is that these are very good value for the money.

The price of the Kipon Adapter and a Hassleblad 50 FLE f4 in mint condition was about 1/2 the price of a new Canon TS-E 50mm lens. The weight of the two options is roughly the same, theres an advantage for me in having a separate adapter for the H50 and the Canon 24 as I can then swap focal lengths without swapping adapters each time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, here's an update to my research:

The Canon 50mm TS-E is amazing even very acceptable at the corners during 12mm shift on 44x33.

Here are the nodal points with RRS:

Canon 24 TS E ii - 3.3
    Canon 50 TS E - 4.6
    Canon 90 TS E - 7.5

Pentax HD D FA 645 35 - 3.1

Pentax 645 55 - 5.8

Pentax 645 75 - 8.0

Pentax 645 120 - 7.0
    Fujifilm GF 63 - 9.5

Fujifilm GF 32-64 - @32 5.5 / @44 5.3 / @50 5.2 / @64 5.9
    Thats good news.

I was wondering, since your post last December showing the Pentax 35 lens have you continued to shoot with it much? I notice you mention the Pentax HD D FA above, do you find the distortion acceptable? I'm mostly concerned with how this would handle shots perpendicular to an elevation where there are a lot of straight lines that can easily show the wave distortion in this kind of optic.

In the end you preferred the FA version of that lens to the Manual A version, why was that? The A version can be purchased for a very reasonable price, so I'm tempted to give this setup a try out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats good news.

I was wondering, since your post last December showing the Pentax 35 lens have you continued to shoot with it much? I notice you mention the Pentax HD D FA above, do you find the distortion acceptable? I'm mostly concerned with how this would handle shots perpendicular to an elevation where there are a lot of straight lines that can easily show the wave distortion in this kind of optic.

In the end you preferred the FA version of that lens to the Manual A version, why was that? The A version can be purchased for a very reasonable price, so I'm tempted to give this setup a try out.

Itís ok, until Fuji get their act together and produce one of their own, but distortion is certainly noticeable. The FA version allows for a far larger ranger of movements with the Kipon adapter I use, due to the much larger rear pupil.