The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider New 45BL vs 55 BL

aztwang

I have the black body 55 and understand the 55BL optically is the same. So my question is how does the new 45BL compare optically to the 55? I have really liked the 55 and its performance has been good but would welcome the extra width and better performance if it is in fact better. Thoughts, facts & opinions welcome!

Cheers

Don

ejpeiker

The new 45 is significantly sharper especially in the corners with less CA than the 55 but it is also 2/3 of a stop slower which may be a consideration for some. The 45 is also a lot larger and heavier.

Jamgolf

Had an opportunity to try someone's 45mm LS BR lens and it was quite impressive.
Excellent resolving power, great image quality even in the corners with minimal distortion.
I think it is as good as Rodenstock 50HR, which I regard as a brilliant lens.
No idea about 55mm, so I can't offer a comparison but 45mm LS Blue Ring was very very good.

kwps

I have the black body 55 and understand the 55BL optically is the same. So my question is how does the new 45BL compare optically to the 55? I have really liked the 55 and its performance has been good but would welcome the extra width and better performance if it is in fact better. Thoughts, facts & opinions welcome!

Cheers

Don
Let me 1st say that I work for Digital Transitions in Los Angeles, Ca selling Phase One. My experience is that the old LS black SK 55mm is softer in the corners than the blue ring LS version, lessens when stopped down. If I personally used the 55mm a lot I would move to a blue ring 55mm especially if I was shooting more open than f8-f11. The 45mm LS blue ring is larger, heaver, sharper stopped down or wide open. I am attaching a few screen grabs, files are essentially straight out of camera. Raw Files are available upon request and if interested I am happy to get you a lens :shocked:

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 4.57.36 PM copy.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-02 at 4.54.11 PM copy.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-02 at 4.57.15 PM copy.jpg

Paul2660

I can't speak to the 45BL but if you get a good copy of the 55LS It is a great lens.
AF is a bit loud on mine but optically very good. I also like the small footprint of the 55. I tend to use my 55mm for panos so there is overlap and that tends to remove the softer corners. 55mm is best at F8 to F11 for what I like to shoot but I often push it to F14 for a bit more DOF. C1 10 sharpening allows you to get away with a bit of diffraction.

I also have the 35BL and it is an amazing optic so I would assume the 45 BL would be the same level. Corner to corner sharp.

Paul Caldwell

ejpeiker

I can't speak to the 45BL but if you get a good copy of the 55LS It is a great lens.
AF is a bit loud on mine but optically very good. I also like the small footprint of the 55. I tend to use my 55mm for panos so there is overlap and that tends to remove the softer corners. 55mm is best at F8 to F11 for what I like to shoot but I often push it to F14 for a bit more DOF. C1 10 sharpening allows you to get away with a bit of diffraction.

I also have the 35BL and it is an amazing optic so I would assume the 45 BL would be the same level. Corner to corner sharp.

Paul Caldwell
Yes, the new 45BL is closer to the 35BL in optical performance than it is to the 55.