The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

tcdeveau

21mm arrived today.

First impressions are it is well balanced on the body, is very wide, and seems very sharp. Surprisingly they also did something with the shutter. It seems dampened or something and doesn’t have the metal clank of the 30mm, 45mm, or 90mm.

jduncan

21mm arrived today.

First impressions are it is well balanced on the body, is very wide, and seems very sharp. Surprisingly they also did something with the shutter. It seems dampened or something and doesn’t have the metal clank of the 30mm, 45mm, or 90mm.

Hi,

Congratulations. A new Hasselblad. When are we going to see examples? :)

Best regards,

hcubell

21mm arrived today.

I noticed the same thing with the 120mm Macro. The sound of the leaf shutter is much more damped compared to the earlier lenses. Hasselblad and its lens supplier, Nittoh, are obviously working on this. While the metallic clink has never bothered me, it is off putting to some.

Hausen

21mm arrived today.

Wow my 30mm is wide, 21mm must be uber-wide?

DB5

Nice, can't wait to see the pictures.

Hope they make a 24mm at some point, i'd probably use that focal length more I think.

JeRuFo

Go and get it, you will not regret.
Kamera Express is a very reliable supplier.
John
Yes, they are not some invisible webshop, they have been around for decades and have quite a few physical stores in Holland and Belgium. I've dealt with them a few times (though not on huge purchases) and have always gotten good and very personal service.

All you have to read up on is how you can get it serviced etc. in the future.

bab

He answered:

1) We’re aware of this and it’s on the FW list
2) Trickier, as focus by wire lenses also have no hard stops, it’s very difficult to estimate position accurately or usefully. Leica S uses a PDAF system that can be calibrated for absolute distances…

This makes sense to me as focus stacking seems a simpler task. I think P1 makes it this way: 1) you define the nearest point by focusing at it, 2) you define the farthest away point by focusing at it, 3) you define how many photos the camera should make between the two points, 4) you start the automation process. Seems that CDAF/focus-by-wire lens is no hindrance to this.

But maybe it is not that easy ...

It’s not that hard if you were able to set near-far points and then instruct the Camera the amount of images to make based on the recommendation from the software or an app, certainly 100% possible with Phocus. By the way I have been continuously requesting this for the last 3 years on a regular basis it’s was on the hit parade for a while. You gotta love the extreme stubbornness of the engineering department at Hasselblad!!! :banghead:

jduncan

He answered:

2) Trickier, as focus by wire lenses also have no hard stops, it’s very difficult to estimate position accurately or usefully. Leica S uses a PDAF system that can be calibrated for absolute distances…

This makes sense to me as focus stacking seems a simpler task. I think P1 makes it this way: 1) you define the nearest point by focusing at it, 2) you define the farthest away point by focusing at it, 3) you define how many photos the camera should make between the two points, 4) you start the automation process. Seems that CDAF/focus-by-wire lens is no hindrance to this.

It’s not that hard if you were able to set near-far points and then instruct the Camera the amount of images to make based on the recommendation from the software or an app, certainly 100% possible with Phocus. By the way I have been continuously requesting this for the last 3 years on a regular basis it’s was on the hit parade for a while. You gotta love the extreme stubbornness of the engineering department at Hasselblad!!! :banghead:

Hi,

Maybe they need each picture to be in to have good focus in some part before merging.
If that is the case, just moving the image and taking mostly out of focus fuzzy images will not cut it.

Best regards,

abed

He answered:

:banghead:
I am doing just that manually by sticking a piece of paper on the lens and focusing barrel, mark the closest and farthest points, then take many pictures in the interval. Stack using helicon focus aftert converting to dng. Post process the result in Capture one . Pain in the neck, but it works

DB5

Does anyone know if Hasselblad has talked about bringing out a V lens adapter? One with an auto-aperture/lens cocking like the H-V Adapter?

sog1927

Does anyone know if Hasselblad has talked about bringing out a V lens adapter? One with an auto-aperture/lens cocking like the H-V Adapter?
I had this exchange with Ming Thein on his blog back in February:

Steve Gombosi says:
February 1, 2018 at 5:50 AM

After a month or so with the X1D, I still find myself amazed that I have a (quasi) medium-format body that I can easily stick in a jacket pocket. It’s an astounding technical achievement and the firmware upgrades have taken care of virtually every issue I had with the early cameras.

Yes, the EVF is hard to use when things get really dark (say, with a Zeiss Luminar at about 15x magnification – but that’s probably not a use case the designers had in mind 😉 ).

I look forward to a V-series adapter that lets me use the shutter in my CF lenses (hint). As well as my V-series microscope shutter for that 15x Luminar setup ;-).

I’m eagerly awaiting the zoom.

I really appreciate the candor of the review (as well as the beautiful images). Thanks so much for writing it!

Ming Thein says:
February 1, 2018 at 7:17 AM

Both are in the works 🙂
Bear in mind that the definition of "in the works" may well be "we're investigating but may decide it's not worthwhile to pursue".

pflower

It has been announced but no news as to date of arrival.

I have the H-V, CFV adapter. Out of curiosity I tried it on my XCD-H adapter and it won't even fit on. Given that the CFV adapter is designed to marry with the H series cameras, it seems odd that it won't fit on the XCD-H adapter which should, surely, have the same fitting as the H series cameras. Can't quite work out why not - logically it should. Although it has to be said that it would be hugely ungainly combination and for the very few occasions when I might want to use a V series lens on the X1D I am content to wait. Kipon already has an adapter but my interest is pretty limited so haven't bothered to explore it.

jduncan

If the XxD will come I´m really interested if we are able to flash with the e-shutter system

I am sorry to tell you that it will not.
It will need some kind of very good global shutter or some kind of new technology (we could use hss and merge or some other software trick).
So is not that it's impossible, but it will imply a limitation (like multiple flashes)
or a global shutter.

The other issue is why invest in the gimmick solution (not a global shutter) when we have super powerful led lights in our arsenal?

When MF chips with good Global Shutters arrive then we will have the possibility in a natural way.

Best regards,

PedroL

I am sorry to tell you that it will not.
It will need some kind of very good global shutter or some kind of new technology (we could use hss and merge or some other software trick).
So is not that it's impossible, but it will imply a limitation (like multiple flashes)
or a global shutter.

The other issue is why invest in the gimmick solution (not a global shutter) when we have super powerful led lights in our arsenal?

When MF chips with good Global Shutters arrive then we will have the possibility in a natural way.

Best regards,
Hello there.
My name is Peter Lorber, I just noticed your location is Costa Rica. We are doing a workshop in Costa Rica January or February 2019, do you have any recommendations for must see photo locations.
Looking forward to hearing from you, Peter