The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS L bracket for GFX

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I just received this bracket today. I thought the idea was that the bracket could be loosened and expanded far enough to access the battery but it doesn’t seem to open far enough. Have to take the bracket off to get the battery door open far enough to change batteries.

I”m in Hawaii and my friend is in Utah trying to figure it out, so all I’ve seen is a video showing the problem. Is this a design problem or is there something about the way the bracket needs to mount that he might be doing wrong? (seems pretty obvious how to mount the bracket).

Satrycon

in this video he says you have to take it off to change the battery https://youtu.be/mGs2DbdN0Zk?t=1m25s

I just received this bracket today. I thought the idea was that the bracket could be loosened and expanded far enough to access the battery but it doesn’t seem to open far enough. Have to take the bracket off to get the battery door open far enough to change batteries.

I”m in Hawaii and my friend is in Utah trying to figure it out, so all I’ve seen is a video showing the problem. Is this a design problem or is there something about the way the bracket needs to mount that he might be doing wrong? (seems pretty obvious how to mount the bracket).

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Not sure which version you have or where RRS are at with this....

Did see this though..

https://fujiaddict.com/2017/05/28/fujifilm-gfx-50s-rrs-l-plate-set-update/

That seems quite old though, so would assume you have a newer revised version?
Thanks for this. Yes it seems I received the most recent one.

Odd yes, it’s as though they designed something without a camera to actually try it on and find out it doesn’t work ...

What’s even more odd is they didn’t put a note in with it explaining the problem and their plan to resolve it.

Guess I’ll go back to the Kirk one for now. It’s easier to take off and on.

Seems like the one major design flaw on Fuji's behalf....

Just wondering, with the Kirk L-Bracket, do you need to remove the camera off the tripod to remove the battery?

Or can the upright part be loosened and slid out whilst the camera remains on the tripod?

Thanks in advance!

Paul2660

Just a heads up, the Cambo, Smart Flex L bracket works great on the GFX as long as you don't use the grip.

I use the Canon mount on the GFX and it fits fine.
Thus no issues with the battery door.

Just wanted to pass this on.

I had hoped that Smart flex would make a dedicated mount but so far nothing.

Paul Caldwell

Christopher

Why all the problems ? I mean I just use the original Arca Swiss L-bracket and it works perfectly with the GFX. It's super easy to change battery.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Just wondering, with the Kirk L-Bracket, do you need to remove the camera off the tripod to remove the battery?
you have to remove the L plate to change the battery. Their solution is a stored Hex wrench in the bottom of the l Plate. The bracket can also interfere a little with the access door to the ports. You can slide the bracket out a little to avoid this.

Why all the problems ? I mean I just use the original Arca Swiss L-bracket and it works perfectly with the GFX. It's super easy to change battery.
Thanks for that, could you possibly elaborate a little? Have never come across one of these?

Is it a "Universal" L-Bracket? Do you loosen the upright section with a coin or something along those lines?

This can stay on the tripod I take it?

Thanks in advance! :)

I got the original RRS L-bracket, which I received a replacement for yesterday. Really puzzled by this as the replacement is a much looser and does not stay in place without tightening, which is what the marketing material promises. I'll just stick to the first one they sent me.

Since I have to remove the camera from the tripod to loosen the L-bracket anyway I don't mind so much it has to be removed. Ideally it would not for that price. Maybe a 'universal', like the Arca Swiss one, would have been a better purchase.

Mark C

Reading about having to remove the Kirk bracket to change the battery on the GFX puts me off buying one . I've had Kirk L brackets for my Canon cameras inc 1Dx and the bracket never need to be removed to change the battery. my temporary solution with the GFX has been to fit it with a small universal Arca Swiss tripod mounting plate ( Kirk UP2) which is nowhere near as sturdy as an L bracket but has done the job so far.

fotophil

I have been using the Arca Swiss Universal L Bracket on my GFX. In use the bottom part of the bracket remains attached to the camera body and the upper section can be removed with a quick release clamp for battery change. Typical of Arca Swiss components, the bracket is expensive (around $230 at B &H) but the quality is first class.

Attachments

I got the Kirk bracket, which indeed has to be swung aside to change batteries, but I don't understand so much the concern. Fuji located the battery door so that there's no optimal solution, just work-arounds.

The GFX has good battery life and a nice red warning light for low battery. The chances you'll be on a cliff making images for stitching when the battery dies aren't really so high.

And BTW, does anyone remember 36-exposure rolls?

Kirk

Don Libby

I opted to use just the basic foot plate as it's just as easy and fast for me to go vertical using the Arca Swiss P0 bullhead - its worked so far for me plus reduced the footprint.

Mark C

...but I don't understand so much the concern...
Partly the hassle and partly having to re tension the single locating bolt which locates into the camera body from the bracket every time the battery needs to be changed or taken off to be charged. I always start a shoot with a fully charged battery so that means taking off and refitting the bracket every time. To be fair to Kirk Enterprises, the GFX has been designed with a swing out battery compartment which would hamper their bracket design leaving them with little choice. Perhaps they might have been better reversing the L so that the short end fit over the RHS of the camera covering the card door. Once my cards are in they rarely get taken out ( I download from the usb port above the battery compartment)

RodK

Thanks for that, could you possibly elaborate a little? Have never come across one of these?

Is it a "Universal" L-Bracket? Do you loosen the upright section with a coin or something along those lines?

This can stay on the tripod I take it?

Thanks in advance! :)
Hi guys, some more information for you -

The larger Arca-Swiss Universal L Bracket 802306 in classic Arca-Swiss size, has a lever on both plates of the L-bracket. This allows repositioning of the plates along the L and removal of the L from the camera base plate. If you have multiple camera bodies we sell additional base plates separately.

We now offer a GFX anti-twist pin position that will also hold the GFX and other DSLR/mirrorless bodies plum.

Secondly, our 802304.1 Mini L Bracket, works with the GFX and allows easy battery access. This bracket also has levers on the plates and can easily slide the L away from the body to allow USB cable or electronic release access. We have a small accessory plate for it that is anti-twist and has been designed for the GFX. You will need an Arca-Swiss monoballfix, or our newer dual channel Quick release, to use this one. John Smith, who is a member here, is using one now on his new GFX. I'll see if he can post a photo and add some comments.

The photos below are of our Universal L-bracket 802306 on the Fuji GFX sent from Arca-Swiss France. The new L-Brackets are all black.