The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Wide DS shading options

I'm running a Cambo Wide DS with 3 Schneider lenses (35, 43, 72), and finding that the 35 and 43 often need shading. While using my hand or a piece of Blackwrap has often gotten the job done, it's getting a bit frustrating given that I shoot interiors and local designers have been installing LED downlights in a lot of new projects, which are close enough to point sources to cause all sorts of issues!

The Cambo RS has the nifty compendium shade attachment, and I'm wondering: can it be hacked to work on the DS? (using the cold-shoe adapter, likely...or getting one of my local friends to do a bit of SolidWorks and 3D printing me something...) If you're using one on an RS, how well does it work?

Alternatively, would a 77mm (since I'm running stepping rings on all three of my lenses to get to that filter size) screw-on third party rubber hood get the job done? (given that I could get a whole box of 'em for the price of the compendium shade...)

Anyone else doing anything that works?

JohnBrew

I'm using the Heliopan rubber collapsible with step up rings on my Rodies. Works fine and I'm happy with it.

Jeffrey

I don't shoot indoors. For outdoor use I take off my Tilly brand wide brimmed flexible hat and hold it wherever necessary to eliminate the problems you describe. The hat works perfectly and it is one less gear item to try to shove into my already overloaded gear bag. Would a piece of white or black foam core board cut to the size you desire and held in position to block the unwanted light intrusion help solve your problem?

0beone

Personally I use the Lee Filters Wide hood and find it works perfectly well with crazy indoor lighting.. Yes I know its a pain to have to lug it round with all the other stuff but it never lets me down.
As an example, I recently had to shoot a complicated wooden ceiling/roof structure in an old church, there were several pendant lights that I just could not get out of the way situated just above and behind the camera and caused the usual flare, pop on the hood - tilt a little and problem solved.

Cheers
Frank

Pemihan

Cool. I'm trying to visualize where the compendium fits. Is the opening large enough for the lens + bully bars, for lensboards so equipped?
I'm not sure about the bully bars, aside from a SK150mm I only have T/S mounts without the bully bars. I can shoot a few images of the setup for you tomorrow if you like..

CAMBOUSA

Cool. I'm trying to visualize where the compendium fits. Is the opening large enough for the lens + bully bars, for lensboards so equipped?
From the photos on the Cambo website it looks like bully bars shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-1090/

Which lenses in particular were you looking to use, if I have them in the office I'll happily test for you.

**Edit** The slightly less elegant way of doing things could also be removing the bars, since they are not in the image plane you wouldn't need to worry about flaring. But you would have "empty holes" with the bars removed.