The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Makes Medium Format Sensor Roadmap official...

V

Vivek

The second iteration Fuji GFx and Hassy X1D using these would be awesome!

sog1927

Only if you intend to print very, very large! Otherwise, a waste of time and money.
A good point, but it also looks (from the maximum frame rate, if I'm reading that right) like the 100MP sensor readout should be considerably faster (maybe in the vicinity of 100ms). That should make the electronic shutter in the x2(?)d a bit more generally useful.

hcubell

Only if you intend to print very, very large! Otherwise, a waste of time and money.
Even if you don't print very large, the new sensor MAY permit significant improvements in AF performance, EVF and LV lag, ES performance, etc., closing the gap somewhat between the the GFX and the X1D and FF mirrorless. We shall see.

Smoothjazz

I wonder- how long will it take Phase One to incorporate the 150 mp sensor into their XF camera? I am keeping my
80 mp IQ back until the upgrade happens. Does anyone think it will happen in 2018?

Don Libby

As happy as I currently am with my GFX I'd jump at a Mk II if they fix the very stupid (at least for me) strap attachment. That's my only major gripe as no matter how careful of which strap I've used they all end up in a knot.

tcdeveau

I’m pretty excited about this personally. Ive been wanting to move up to 100mp for quite some time so i can get larger files with single-image crops. I do a lot of panos and stitching isn’t always successful, whether it be to motion artifacts or user error. This next generation of chips will give us more 100mp options, and hopefully one of those will fall within my financial reach....whether it be a next gen X1D/GFX or used H6D-100c/IQx 100.

Paul2660

As happy as I currently am with my GFX I'd jump at a Mk II if they fix the very stupid (at least for me) strap attachment. That's my only major gripe as no matter how careful of which strap I've used they all end up in a knot.

OH so true, what a stupid design. I guess Fuji was wanted the user to only use the Fuji Strap, which is very short sighted.

Personally I also hope they move the Q button.

Paul Caldwell

tjv

The only downside of this tech progression as I see it is that my Leaf Credo 60 is depreciating FAST! Have got my moneys worth out of it, but still paying it off!
I wonder how these new sensors perform with technical camera lenses and movements. How does the 100mpx full frame sensor go with big shifts?

I guess this question comes from a certan paranoia that my Credo isn't the only thing that's depreciating, but my other tools, i.e. my tech lenses and Linhof Techno are being pushed out by advancing technology. I want / need to buy a RS 40 HR-W, but paranoid it might only serve me with current technology?

What do people reckon? (I'm happy with my current kit and will use it as long as I can justify it or at least until I pay it off :p, I'm just thinking of medium long term security of 'investment', as much as that's a poor word choice.)

The only downside of this tech progression as I see it is that my Leaf Credo 60 is depreciating FAST! Have got my moneys worth out of it, but still paying it off!
I wonder how these new sensors perform with technical camera lenses and movements. How does the 100mpx full frame sensor go with big shifts?

I guess this question comes from a certan paranoia that my Credo isn't the only thing that's depreciating, but my other tools, i.e. my tech lenses and Linhof Techno are being pushed out by advancing technology. I want / need to buy a RS 40 HR-W, but paranoid it might only serve me with current technology?

What do people reckon? (I'm happy with my current kit and will use it as long as I can justify it or at least until I pay it off :p, I'm just thinking of medium long term security of 'investment', as much as that's a poor word choice.)
It’s an interesting point and these types of question made me go back recently into 5x4 film as a complementary system.

- I will use the 5x4 system for when I need movements. Any amount of movements are basically fine with film, with none of a digital back’s restrictions when shifted too extreme. The best of the 5x4 gear, ie, super summary xl’s or APO sironar s lenses, seem to hold value very well too, and entry into this world is very low anyhow compared to tech cams.
- For subjects not needing movements, I plan to buy into a 2nd complementary system (eg, X1D or Fuji or used S007) due to more day to day convenience than a tech cam set-up. My assumption here is that something like an X1D could remain very popular and be easy to sell without extreme depreciation in absolute terms due to its entry price being relatively “cheap” versus other MF systems.

I am an amateur, so my # of shots is low - this is all factored into my thoughts above, so the cost of film and drum scanning won’t be absurd. In any case, I will often use the digital X1D style camera for images when movements aren’t needed. I also really like the rendering of 5x4 film for large 70” wide prints, so it’s not a burden in anyway for me.

jng

The 100 Mp full frame sensor does well with shifts but the 60 Mp Dalsa sensor is friendlier in this regard and the files are just cleaner out of the gate. The 40HR is amazing at 100 Mp, but I must say I'm more than happy with the way it renders - both in terms of sharpness and color quality - on my 60 Mp back.

Drifting back on topic: I find myself turning to the recent MF mirrorless cameras for a high-resolution CMOS sensor in a more portable package. Considering the latest announcements from Sony, the prospect of seeing the new 100 Mp BSI crop sensor in cameras next year puts me in a wait and see mode before pulling the trigger on the X1D or its 100 Mp successor. Improvements beyond just additional resolution, such as improved S/N and dynamic range, faster read-out time for ES, etc. could be well worth the wait and extra cost. Good times.

John

Last edited:

tcdeveau

The 100 Mp full frame sensor does well with shifts but the 60 Mp Dalsa sensor is friendlier in this regard and are just cleaner out of the gate. The 40HR is amazing at 100 Mp, but I must say I'm more than happy with the way it renders - both in terms of sharpness and color quality - on my 60 Mp back.

Drifting back on topic: I find myself turning to the recent MF mirrorless cameras for a high-resolution CMOS sensor in a more portable package. Considering the latest announcements from Sony, the prospect of seeing the new 100 Mp BSI crop sensor in cameras next year puts me in a wait and see mode before pulling the trigger on the X1D or its 100 Mp successor. Improvements beyond just additional resolution, such as improved S/N and dynamic range, faster read-out time for ES, etc. could be well worth the wait and extra cost. Good times.

John
For the wait and see folks, both fuji and Hasselblad should also have more lenses out by this time next year too

bernardl

My hope would be that the 150mp true MF sensor would enable Hassy and P1 to release an EVF version of the H7D and XF.

I find it challenging to reach critical focus with the current bodies without using live view and you end up with less real world resolution from the H6D-100c than what I am getting from my D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

jduncan

Since it will be a BSI sensor I will not be surprised if it has a little more of Dynamic range. Notice that the note contains "High Dynamic Range function (HDR)" so maybe extra technology is coming to help with that. Also if we get autofocus assists it will be great.
The other issue is: They need to show progress if they don't people will drop the cameras and get a DSLR. Few people want to invest in a death system.

Best regards,

jduncan

My hope would be that the 150mp true MF sensor would enable Hassy and P1 to release an EVF version of the H7D and XF.

I find it challenging to reach critical focus with the current bodies without using live view and you end up with less real world resolution from the H6D-100c than what I am getting from my D850.

Cheers,
Bernard
I have come to the same conclusion. We are close to the point were the DSLR design is becoming a limiting factor of sharpness. We could create a wafer size sensors, but that will imply a totally new system and lenses to go with it.
We also have the investment mantra: stuff that is popular get most of the investment, ironing bugs and adding functionality. That give more sales to the popular platforms, and the circle continues.

Best regards,

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Good point, but I may guess that 44x33 may be where the future of MF is.

Best regards
Erik

Cheers,
Bernard