The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Everest Basecamp kit advise

jagsiva

This will be a slow/moderate paced 14 day trip. Main interest will be landscapes but looking to take some shots in the towns and villages as well. Need to keep things simple and on the lighter side.

Can pick from pool of XF/IQ3100, Arca Rm3Di and Nikdon D850 and choices of various lenses. Has anyone does this before, appreciate recommendations.

Paul2660

This will be a slow/moderate paced 14 day trip. Main interest will be landscapes but looking to take some shots in the towns and villages as well. Need to keep things simple and on the lighter side.

Can pick from pool of XF/IQ3100, Arca Rm3Di and Nikdon D850 and choices of various lenses. Has anyone does this before, appreciate recommendations.

I envy such a trip, and hope you have good weather. Such an amazing place, which I will never see.

If you can carry the weight the XF and P1 would be the way to go for me. Tech camera, albeit excellent optics, just adds to much extra work for me now. The optics of the new P1 Schneider lenses are as good or better IMO than any of the Rodenstocks, 32mm included (I have both the 32mm and 35 Schneider and can't see any optical differences). Problem is that the XF/3100 is not a hand held solution at least for me and at that altitude may not be for you either, you will always be on a tripod which adds more time to setup.

The D850 is a great camera even though it's not using a Sony sensor (I would have preferred a Sony sensor as I am not as pleased with the results from the D850's sensor). Nikon has excellent lenses and all or most are lighter, with VR, thus you can stop on the trail, take a shot hand held and continue. Resolution of 50 vs 100 MP to me is not a big deal anymore as I can get the largest print I need 36 x 72 with a D810 or D850. Nikon has some excellent optics, in their new glass, 24-70, 70-200 and even the newer 80-400, all of which are not as massive and heavy as the XF-3100. Also the 3100 is slow to start up, 12 to 15 seconds per attempt, Nikon is instant.

Both offer ES, full ES and the D850 ES is hand holdable at certain shutter speeds. The D850 and XF both offer shutter controls from back LCD, feature I like a lot.

The tech camera IMO will be the most limiting, but if you take it I would at least consider a Fuji X-T2 class camera or a D500 and a few Nikon Lenses for a more versatile solution.

Congratulations on the trip and looking forward to images.

Paul Caldwell

Shashin

Which will you use the most? Take that.

I guess my only concern would be power. I would make sure I would have enough for more than the 14 days. The cold may really impact battery life. I imagine recharging will be hard.

Having been at similar altitudes, finding a way to carry what you bring will be important. Not only in terms of weight, but in ease of using the equipment. When I am tired, cameras deep in a backpack will stay in a backpack. I would also figure out how to use your cameras handheld--a tripod, likewise, can be hard to use. So really consider the inertia of the fatigue you will have. While some of that is overcoming your own psychology, how available your equipment is is just as important.

I would also take a high-quality compact like an RX-1. Not only will it act as a backup, it can be more available for other types of photography.

jagsiva

Power is a big concern. Tech cam will be the worst for it with live view, LCC, etc.

I'm right now thinking just the XF, a bunch of batteries, 35BR and 80BR. I'll take a RRS 2 series which is relatively compact. I have a couple of trips in the summer where I usually tend to drag a lag a lot of gear, maybe should restrict myself and see how that works out.

Paratom

make sure to also bring some big waste sacks to bring back some trash from base camp.
I believe I would bring a reduced kit and make sure to focus on the mood and the people.
In my case I would bring the x1d and also probably the CL with 23 and the uwa-zoom.

daf

Base camps are already high, and walking in high altitude is very rude !
Help yourself, keep it as light as you can .... and enjoy.

Frankly

If you're at this level of equipment sophistication shouldn't your photography be somewhat defined by now? I'd carry on with your strongest suit and also have a compact camera for quality snapshots.

beano_z

Power is a big concern. Tech cam will be the worst for it with live view, LCC, etc.

I'm right now thinking just the XF, a bunch of batteries, 35BR and 80BR. I'll take a RRS 2 series which is relatively compact. I have a couple of trips in the summer where I usually tend to drag a lag a lot of gear, maybe should restrict myself and see how that works out.
Strongly recommend you to add a long lens, somewhere between 150 and 350, depending on your personal preference. The use is twofold in my experience, first they’ll allow you to start shooting when still far away, compressing the landscape and giving scale in certain circumstances, second they’ll let you grab intricate details otherwise less visible once you’re closer up.

Just speaking out of personal experience, shooting those snow capped peaks, I would probably use the 80mm and the telephoto more than the super wide, and I’m a wide angle freak normally....

daf

I'd carry on with your strongest suit ...
The problem here, is to understand how much gear you can carry in altitude .... base camps for the everest are at 5300m altitude, once you star to walk up, every effort on your body is multiplyed due to less oxygen (50-60% at 5000m then only 20% left at 8000), the more you walk or the more you go up, more you feel the pain :)

Last edited:

DBF

Last Year, I have been at Base Camp of Nanga Parbat.
I took HCD 28, HC 100 and 1,7 Tele-Extender and a self constructed "Power Bank" - less Weight (and Price) than Original H-Batteries - with me.
The higher You get, the more You will hate every Piece that You carry.
Better first try out, how You feel in great Hights!!!
For me 3.000 mtr is no Problem - 3.500 mtr is quite ok - 4.000 mtr is hard - getting much harder with every more mtr.

rayyan

Is this a photography trip?
Images for sale, something paid for by a mag or organization?

Or is this an adventure trip with a group and you are photographing for fun and maybe for get some sales out of it.

How big do you expect to print your images?

And won’t you be having Sherpas to carry your belongings?

The reason I ask is coz Kilroy has been there and done that ;)

My 2 hallalas worth...downgrade from big MFs. Get Fuji or Canikon.
Get a small portable solar panel power source at the right rating.

And have insurance, if you are a novice!

Best of luck with the climb. If you have high climbed altitudes, you should be ok.

p.s. I guess you are heading to the First Base Camp?
Beyond that, I would never advise a MF setup at all. Unless you have a professional team, sherpas and lots of camera gear for pro documentary photography.

Last edited: