The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tablet with Thunderbolt for P45+ ?

gebseng

Hi again,

After a couple of years with the Leaf Credo 40 on my Linhof Techno, I am still pretty disappointed about the magenta cast when shifting more than 10mm. I fondly remember the Leaf Aptus 75S I used before, where 20mm shifts were no problem at all, with minimal colour cast.

But: Live View!

So, I was thinking about trying a P45+ (selling, anyone?;)), and tethering it to a tablet. Since there are no Firewire equipped devices anymore, and I would really prefer a tablet or convertible to a Laptop, Apple (the only company I know of that still offers a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter) is out of the equation here. I only work on locartion and would have to mount the tablet on my tripod.

There are lots of light and cheap Thunderbolt equipped Windows tablets or convertibles out there, but I can't find any OEM Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters.

Do you have any experiences regarding that?

best,

geb

drevil

Staff member
just my 2 cents, but the live view of ccd sensors is not really enjoyable, i would say look for a used hasselblad cvf 50c with cmos sensor.
yes, might still be double as expensive but worth the money.
though i dont know how the magenta cast will be with it the 50mp sony sensor

yaya

I'm afraid you are out of luck on this one...tablets these days offer TB3 USB-c ports, that do not support FireWire connectivity. Mechanically, you can chain a USBc-TB adapter to a TB-FW800 adapter and then connect the back to it, but it will not work...

Have you considered changing lenses?

BR
Yair

kinglang

Yes,i am also look for a conversion plug for p45+ Thunderbolt -to --USB3.0 cable . Make p45+ work with surface pro , use 1394-thunderbolt-usb3.0 . However, there is such a cable?

daf

Don't loose your time. There is no solution to go firewire to usb...
I know what you mean (i had the leaf on my techcam+digitar), and as Yair said the only solution for your actual back or cmos back are Rodies(expensive+distorsion)...
If you're an architectural photographer, then you might want to keep your digitar, and so leaf33/p45+ are your best option but then no liveview...
If you only need liveview for focusing arca rm3d, alpa or cambo+hpf ring are really accurate and easy to work...
If you want to tether an old digitalback, to have your image directly in C1 on your surface pro, then your only option is a wifi card, but it is slow, it might take 30s to ipload a raw file...

Good luck !