The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D and CaptureOne

JeRuFo

Yes, you can, if you convert to DNG and scrub the exif of anything that says Hasselblad. But you don't get lens profiles obviously and have to use a Phase One colour profile (IQ x50). There have been a few threads about it already (searching wiyh google works better than the forum searc function.)

gmfotografie

Yes, you can, if you convert to DNG and scrub the exif of anything that says Hasselblad. But you don't get lens profiles obviously and have to use a Phase One colour profile (IQ x50). There have been a few threads about it already (searching wiyh google works better than the forum searc function.)
of course google has a better search function - but i always forget this fact...Thank you!

Where have all the flowers gone - Capture One passing......

drevil

Staff member
We should really start a petition and show phase one one how displeased we are(are we?) that c1 doesn't support GFX, 645z etc.
after all to some the GFX is a secondary camera to an existing phase back, and switching between two workflows is quite annoying.

i think they should see capture one more as a standalone product and i think a lot of 35mm shooters also use c1, so opening c1 to gfx users(and others) would only result in higher c1 sales numbers, wouldn't it?

tcdeveau

I’m happy with the results I get from Phocus/LR, but I do think if P1 doesn’t come out with a competing product to the GFX or X1D, they may as well license C1 to GFX/X1D users to capture some revenue from the mirrorless MF market.

BJNY

I’m happy with the results I get from Phocus/LR, but I do think if P1 doesn’t come out with a competing product to the GFX or X1D, they may as well license C1 to GFX/X1D users to capture some revenue from the mirrorless MF market.
Agree, I'd pay for separate license to tether & process GFX/X1D.

hcubell

Two points:
1. Even if the XF with a Phase back is really not remotely in direct competition with the GFX or the X1D, Phase probably wants to leave its options open to come out with its own mirrorless system at some point, with C1 as a major selling point.
2. Most of those buying into medium format digital these days are probably unaware that, around 2007 when Hasselblad "closed" the H series platform so that you could only use the H series bodies with third party backs, Phase was right out there in accusing Hasselblad of acting unfairly and capriciously by no longer fostering an "open platform" environment for the medium format community. The venom that engendered toward Hasselblad has, IMO, persisted over the years. So, here we are 10+ years later, and my how the things have turned around. The one time champion of the "open platform" has now been exposed. Hypocrisy is not the worst sin, but it is up there. Do I care personally? Not really. I don't buy or not buy things based upon my "feelings" toward a company based upon these types of things. It's business, so I just move on.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Using the X1D with Capture One means:
- Hacking the raw data to change read-only EXIF
- The hack may stop working at any future version
- Duplication of all your raw files (since you shouldn't only have the hacked version)
- No C1 lens correction profiles
- No C1 color profile*
- No tethering
- No support

Phase One has consistently had the same policy for well over a decade: all significant small-format cameras are supported, along with all team Phase One medium-format products. Other medium-format products are not and will not be supported. There is nearly zero chance of a change to this policy.

Note that I'm neither expressing support or opposition to these facts and policies. It's only my goal to make sure the information is available and clear.

*Using the Phase One IQ350mp profile isn't bad as they share sensors, but a camera system is much more than a sensor and this profile was not developed for the X1D camera system; performance should not be expected to be the same as a native profile.

Last edited:
As I have a CCD PhaseOne back which I use on a regular basis with my Contax, I am quite familiar with C1 software and I really like the software. Some things work better than Lr, other things worse. If I were a Nikon or Sony shooter, I certainly would depend only on C1.

Nevertheless, I am not a "hacker", as Mr. Peterson calls it, so I do not use C1 with my Hasselblad X1D.

I am also a believer that the whole package has to be optimized. So, Phocus in combination with Lr work really well with the Hasselblad raw files. Normally I do some basic adjustments with Phocus (which is getting better and better) and then export a DNG file to Lr. From there I work with Lr. I tried other alternatives (with systematic comparisons of a representative group of photos) like direct import of Hasselblad raw to Lr or import of Tiff from Phocus, but I always come back to the DNG import, which, I think, gives me the best results as for colors and highlight and shadow recovery.

I do not like at all the subscription model of Lr, but do not think that C1 is a real alternative here, as they may tomorrow make the same decision as Adobe and abandon the perpetual-licensing model.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I do not like at all the subscription model of Lr, but do not think that C1 is a real alternative here, as they may tomorrow make the same decision as Adobe and abandon the perpetual-licensing model.
Phase One had quite publicly and quite strongly said they will ALWAYS offer the ability to purchase a perpetual license for Capture One.

So you do need to fear that they will switch to subscription-only.

MrSmith

Other medium-format products are not and will not be supported. There is nearly zero chance of a change to this policy.
I’m surprised at this, phase one cameras are so far ahead of other MFD manufacturers with a long list of firsts and exclusive features that no other MFD product has that they essentially have the high end, ultimate image quality and feature packed market to themselves.
Any mirrorless solotution they develop will be far ahead of other M/MFD cameras effectively creating a new market for the ultimate mirrorless MFD.
Supporting other cameras just means more software sales and more money for very little development cost to an already mature product.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It is a testament to Phase One profit margins on their hardware that they will gladly sacrifice any revenue from C1 software for the slight chance that they will convince a customer to abandon other MF solutions to go with their products.

I LOVED C1, but would not abandon an MF system I preferred for their MUCH heavier and MUCH more expensive solutions. I wish they wanted my business for their superior software, but they don't.

I HATE Adobe, but software has to take second place to cameras and lenses.

Sigh,

Matt

SrMphoto

As I have a CCD PhaseOne back which I use on a regular basis with my Contax, I am quite familiar with C1 software and I really like the software.
<snip>
I am also a believer that the whole package has to be optimized. So, Phocus in combination with Lr work really well with the Hasselblad raw files. Normally I do some basic adjustments with Phocus (which is getting better and better) and then export a DNG file to Lr.
<snip>
Why would you export as DNG in Phocus? AFAIK, export as DNG loses all adjustments done in Phocus. The correct way is to export as TIFF-16, I believe.

tcdeveau

Phase One had quite publicly and quite strongly said they will ALWAYS offer the ability to purchase a perpetual license for Capture One.

So you do need to fear that they will switch to subscription-only.
To be fair, Adobe said the same thing regarding Lightroom very publicly yet here we are with LR.

I hope for C1 users P1 doesn’t go back on their word like Adobe did.

etto72

I am a long time user of Capture One...
and I have the X1D since a year
I do import the files through the hack (DNG via Phocus) and the results are really stunning!!!
Personally I can tell you that despite the pain to convert the files to DNG + cancelling the word 'd' from Hasselbla(d) from the files
and the luck of tether functionality and lens correction
using Capture ONE is really worth it
For me this is clearly the best software for the X1D!

ejpeiker

To be fair, Adobe said the same thing regarding Lightroom very publicly yet here we are with LR.

I hope for C1 users P1 doesn’t go back on their word like Adobe did.
The difference being that Adobe pretty much stopped saying that almost immediately after they said it. Phase One still says that today, several years after they started offering the subscription model.

But of course if the Private Equity firm that holds Phase One sells it to another entity, all bets are off.

etto72

Using the X1D with Capture One means:
- Hacking the raw data to change read-only EXIF
- The hack may stop working at any future version
- Duplication of all your raw files (since you shouldn't only have the hacked version)
- No C1 lens correction profiles
- No C1 color profile*
- No tethering
- No support

Phase One has consistently had the same policy for well over a decade: all significant small-format cameras are supported, along with all team Phase One medium-format products. Other medium-format products are not and will not be supported. There is nearly zero chance of a change to this policy.

Note that I'm neither expressing support or opposition to these facts and policies. It's only my goal to make sure the information is available and clear.

*Using the Phase One IQ350mp profile isn't bad as they share sensors, but a camera system is much more than a sensor and this profile was not developed for the X1D camera system; performance should not be expected to be the same as a native profile.

All very good point Doug!
but at the end of the day for a long time user like me, Capture one is still the best way to go
and despite the pain of all you have mentioned, every time I import the X1D files in to C1
I am astonished to see how great the files look!!

The software rendering of the DNG neutral profiles is that good that I really don't miss Phocus or Lightroom

For me Capture One is simply the best you can get out there!

hcubell

The difference being that Adobe pretty much stopped saying that almost immediately after they said it. Phase One still says that today, several years after they started offering the subscription model.

But of course if the Private Equity firm that holds Phase One sells it to another entity, all bets are off.
It’s not a question of IF that PE firm will sell Phase One, just when. And that will be when they can get an acceptable price.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
All very good point Doug!
but at the end of the day for a long time user like me, Capture one is still the best way to go
and despite the pain of all you have mentioned, every time I import the X1D files in to C1
I am astonished to see how great the files look!!

The software rendering of the DNG neutral profiles is that good that I really don't miss Phocus or Lightroom

For me Capture One is simply the best you can get out there!
Absolutely. I wasn’t telling you not to do it. Just making sure you were doing so eyes-wide-open.

RobbieAB

It is a testament to Phase One profit margins on their hardware that they will gladly sacrifice any revenue from C1 software for the slight chance that they will convince a customer to abandon other MF solutions to go with their products.
I think it is also a case that, realistically, the digital MF market as a whole is, historically, too small to matter much. The GFX and X1D might change that, but I personally doubt they are ever going to be multi-million unit markets the way Canon/Nikon/Sony are. Allowing for that, how many sales are they really losing?