The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.

f8orbust

This is an example of a question which would require extensive effort to make a perfect theoretical model of the math to predict the results...
I guess we could begin a Kickstarter campaign to fund a PhD to answer this question, but short of that experience tells me that as the MP count goes up, then (with all other things being equal), the possibility of realizing all that data in anything other than optimal conditions goes down - whether that be in m43, APS-C, 35mm, 645 format or whatever.

The addition of IBIS isn't a magic bullet, but it significantly increases the chances of realizing all that data in less than optimal conditions (which typically make up about 99.99% of the average working day).

I wonder if the upcoming Hasselblad X2D combined with the 100mpx BSI sensor and either Alpa adapter

https://www.dpreview.com/news/91417...the-hasselblad-x1d-into-a-digital-camera-back

or maybe with the Cambo Actus would be a viable "cheaper" alternative?

Are the promising results that you guys are seeing early on, likely to be translated over to such a workflow?

It states above that the widest lens that can be used is a 32mm (which becomes a 28mm ish) so wides might be an issue... The Canon 24mm TS-E II can obviously be used but would that hold up?

Also, any idea what the widest lens that can be used with the Hasselblad X1D and Cambo Actus combo is, when using view camera digital lenses? If it is not as wide as 32mm, any idea as to the reason for that?

Thanks in advance!

kdphotography

I wouldn't expect 5 stops IBIS from a full frame medium format sensor.

But still, you have to admit that even having half that, maybe +2 stops, would be pretty cool.

Maybe a little more prodding from Dante is in order... (Now would you upgrade? :ROTFL:)

:D

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
There's an easier way, no PhD required. Look up specs for the motors of µ4/3 IBIS and FF IBIS and extrapolate.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing your findings and the raw images. It seems that the BSI stuff works WRT reducing crosstalk.

Those images are pretty sharp, by any standard.

Best regards
Erik

We've posted a new article with a quick summary of the 32HR and 23HR test performed in Denmark. If you've already downloaded and examined those raw files the only new thing in this article is that we published the 23HR + 100mp Raw file (P1 only published the 150mp raw files) for direct comparison. If you didn't get a chance to look at those raws then our article (I hope) provides a succinct visual summary.

You can download all raws at the bottom of the article.

This is just the very start of the testing you should expect. This test was done in Denmark by Phase One itself and there is much that I would (and will be) doing differently in DT's testing in the US, such as including other backs, lenses, and movement combination. That said, it's a darn good start and the results are extremely promising.

Phase One IQ4 150mp vs 100mp 32HR and 23HR raw files

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Also, any idea what the widest lens that can be used with the Hasselblad X1D and Cambo Actus combo is, when using view camera digital lenses? If it is not as wide as 32mm, any idea as to the reason for that?

Thanks in advance!
Here you go: http://cambousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Cambo-Actus-lens-compatibility-table-2018-V4.pdf

The lens compatibility issues are all down to the focal flange distance (assuming that the rear element of the lens doesn’t intrude into the body) and whether you want to focus at infinity. I’m not sure if the table is 100% correct though because I recall John Milich and I testing my 23HR on the Actus DB and it worked - although that was on an Alpa mount on the Actus so perhaps it mounted a little closer behind the Actus mount.

Here you go: http://cambousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Cambo-Actus-lens-compatibility-table-2018-V4.pdf

The lens compatibility issues are all down to the focal flange distance (assuming that the rear element of the lens doesn’t intrude into the body) and whether you want to focus at infinity. I’m not sure if the table is 100% correct though because I recall John Milich and I testing my 23HR on the Actus DB and it worked - although that was on an Alpa mount on the Actus so perhaps it mounted a little closer behind the Actus mount.

Cheers Graham, very helpful...

It is pretty confusing to be honest... I see the Schneider 28mm Digitar working and then nothing else until the 60mm range...

Is the Schneider 28mm Digitar decent? It has a pretty small image circle so is pretty limited there...

Does this become a 22mm on the Hasselblad X1D?

Any thoughts?

Boinger

It is pretty confusing to be honest... I see the Schneider 28mm Digitar working and then nothing else until the 60mm range...

Is the Schneider 28mm Digitar decent? It has a pretty small image circle so is pretty limited there...

Any thoughts?
I have a rodenstock Hr40 that I use with my actus and x1d. I can get about 5mm of movement either direction or less in both. But the barrel hits the mount at 5mm.

The 28mm would be longer on the x1d not wider. (well I guess this also depends on what you are comparing to relatively speaking)

vjbelle

The Cambo pdf shows the Schneider 60XL as not compatible with the GFX but it does work but with only 5mm movements. The limiting factor is the bellows itself.

Victor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Any thoughts?
The lens length stays the lens length. A 28mm of any brand/make/model/origin remains a 28mm. It’s only when you involve a second sensor/film size that equivalency becomes a thing. This calculator can help with that visually: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/support/lens-visualizer-tools/

In this case I assume they are not talking about the modern Schneider 28 Super-Digitar XL but the legacy 28 designed in the early 24x36mm digital backs era. I would not recommend this lens for any modern use that calls for sharpness.

archivue

I think the interesting meta-story here is that Phase One is placing all their chips on the high end of the high end; they are not even going to try to compete with the 645Z/GFX50S/X1D class of products.
so, why not opening capture one for gfx then...

Christopher

If they are indeed not working on a mirrorless camera, I would guess opening capture one to the GFX will happen sooner or later. Phase One will see how many potential customers are out there and will realize they are loosing out on a huge opportunity with capture one.

algrove

Capture One is the only software that will open my IQ3100 Achromatic images.:clap: LR and PS will not open Achromatic IIQ Raws.:scry::wtf::banghead:

Last edited:

med

Are you using any Raw compression? I recall Lightroom could deal with my Aptus uncompressed RAW files, but not the compressed ones...

algrove

No compression. My IQ3100 color files are fine and open in LR-it's just the IQ3100 Achromatic files I am talking about that will not open in LR.

vjbelle

Sorry Lou...... I do not own the Achro. However that really shouldn't be an issue with Camera Raw. I have taken some IR with my 3100 and a B+W 720 filter and although the workflow was a struggle in the beginning I stumbled across a very easy and effective processing technique using Capture 1.

Victor