The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Progress on tech cam/Copal shutter cable for IQ4?

dchew

3) maybe in a warm climate there might be a tiny advantage to image quality through having the back not in heat-generating LV all the time as you do with ES?
Tim,
You don't have to have live view engaged to trigger ES. It can be helpful for no other reason that it screams black when you forget to re-open the shutter after a dark frame, but the 4150 doesn't have to shoot many dark frames.

I'm probably 50/50 in how I trigger ES. Sometimes directly from live view, other times from the camera control screen w/o live view.

Dave

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,
You don't have to have live view engaged to trigger ES. It can be helpful for no other reason that it screams black when you forget to re-open the shutter after a dark frame, but the 4150 doesn't have to shoot many dark frames.

I'm probably 50/50 in how I trigger ES. Sometimes directly from live view, other times from the camera control screen w/o live view.

Dave
Yup, I missed out ‘tend to’ !

MrSmith

One of the best attributes of tech cameras is how long they last as a platform. A tech camera such as the Cambo RS or Arca Swiss R with a Rodenstock 32HR was first sold in 2010. Eight years later that combination is not just “competitive,” it is still unmatched in image quality. In this context, the IQ4 is a wonderful modular upgrade. If you’re a tech camera user, the IQ4 will improve the technical quality of your image, speed your workflow, and remove several headaches. Working with an IQ4 on an tech camera is just plain more enjoyable. It is the best back ever made for tech cameras.
Seems the marketing material is econonomic with the truth!

narikin

2) Per the above, the small connector on the lens end of the new cable could do with NOT having a right angle: the truly stupid positioning of the sync port on the lens means that the right angled plug is always right in the way of the diaphragm rocker, which you have to move every time you want to enter LV to re-focus. I don't know if all or most lenses are the same in this respect and it isn't Phase's fault but a 'straight out' sync connector would help.
If anyone from Phase is reading this, they will be slamming their head onto the table, after everyone here asked for Right Angle!!

The thing is Phase's sync leads have always been right angle, so nothing has changed. I almost never use Copal shutters anymore (FPS/Silex unit) but when I did I threaded it under the lens and up to to the right side. i.e. not over the top, which does get in the way of the open/close rocker, and reading the focus scale, etc. Underneath then up the right side was my solution, iirc.

Still not got mine. Hoping for something later this week.

Steve Hendrix

If anyone from Phase is reading this, they will be slamming their head onto the table, after everyone here asked for Right Angle!!

The thing is Phase's sync leads have always been right angle, so nothing has changed. I almost never use Copal shutters anymore (FPS/Silex unit) but when I did I threaded it under the lens and up to to the right side. i.e. not over the top, which does get in the way of the open/close rocker, and reading the focus scale, etc. Underneath then up the right side was my solution, iirc.

Still not got mine. Hoping for something later this week.

While not a total solution, this might make it a little easier:

https://www.cambo.com/en/view-cam/lenses/normal-taking-lenses/crs-02/

Steve Hendrix/CI