The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

drevil

Staff member
is the sensor in the X1D the same as in the IQ3 50?

if it is, how come Hasselblad could get an electronic shutter and P1 couldnt?

(lack of electronic shutter is the most disappointing thing for me about buying my IQ3 50)
this feature could be easily introduced via firmware, but simple answer, phase doesnt want to

Godfrey

I have a fairly complete Hasselblad 500CM kit (body, finders, backs, four lenses, filters, etc etc). I'm saving my pennies for the CFV 50c II now.

Once I have that, my existing Hasselblad 500CM kit becomes pseudo-modern and I can then see how it performs first hand ... and consider whether I want to add the 907X body/mount and XCD 21mm lens. The complete setup would net me a 50Mpixel Hassy reflex system capable of shooting film and digital capture, and a digital capture 39Mpixel SWC.

I can think of worse things ... like starting over and buying some other hyper-expensive MFD system from scratch. Given how well just using a 10mm lens on my Leica CL works, alongside using a bunch of other up to 55 year old lenses on that camera, I can't imagine that there would be much of a downside to this new back, body, and the XCD 21mm lens.

I always keep in mind that the goal is not getting the most amazing technology and the hugest pile of cool features, it's making photographs that I like. And that whatever clients I might shoot for are willing to pay their money for. :D

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This thread is almost turning into one of those film vs digital, or Canon vs Nikon circular threads. :ROTFL::chug:

Personally, I think that it’s great having Hasselblad support their V system with the CFV II 50c PLUS open up again access to a back with a tilting LCD and more up to date technology that can be used on a technical camera and with the 907x for X lenses too. Kudos to HB for that.

I wish my IQ3100 had a tilting LCD quite often in the field. Now I won’t be swapping from the Phase back but I could easily find creative use of the CFV II with other bodies/lens etc. Remember, not everybody needs THE latest tech in lenses or camera bodies. For some, who I’m sure HB are targeting again, want to use their legacy cameras as much for the process/joy of shooting vs megapixel monsters.

I had the original CFV for a while - ok, but limiting on V bodies. I considered picking up the CFV 50c when it first came out but my investment in other systems couldn’t justify it, and then when they could, it was gone. The new back does I think have a niche in the market that if priced right could be popular amongst amateurs/creative users. :thumbup:

pegelli

You are free to disagree of course. However, again you implied that I offered my ideas as absolute, when I never did anything of the sort. Re-read my post and you'll see that is all IMHO and personal preferences. On the other hand, you clearly state that you "couldn't care less if it's the ideal camera for him or not" and you also clearly stated that what I say in your mind "is absolute bollocks": how is that for absolutes?
Vieri

The new X1D mark II is hardly technically inferior to any of the 50 MP Fujis, in a smaller, lighter and better looking package with a better UI - in fact, to me is better than both of them, unless you definitely need a focal plane shutter of course. About the Fuji GFX 100, I might be wrong, but IMHO the Fuji GFX 100 is a great technological achievement without a clear target user, save of course the wealthy amateur that wants the latest and best no matter what. Let's see possible professional uses for the GFX 100:

Studio (people). That's probably the best use for it, but then why do you need such a huge camera, or IBIS, or weather sealing in a studio? And, it has a relatively slow flash sync, not a must in the studio but since there are leaf shutter systems out there, probably if you do people going into one of those would be a better choice.
Studio (product). Same as the above, and, no product-shooting-specific lenses such as T/S, limited choice of macro, and so on.
People outside the studio. Again, see studio (people) above, but in this case leaf-shutter systems would definitely much better suited to the task.
Sport. Despite all the advancing in tech, I think that hardly anyone would choose MF as their weapon of choice for sport shooting. No long enough lenses, not fast enough, too many MP to move around, and so on. IMHO, FF is still the king for sport shooting.
Landscape. While it's potentially great to have 100 MP and weather sealing, the 1.2 KG package (camera body alone) makes it a no go for me, and I would never choose it for my work. Now, a 100 MP X2D or a GFX 50R/S-form-factor-camera with a 100 MP sensor would be a total different proposition of course :)
Macro / flowers. Again, limited macro lens choice and no T/S options would make FF the better choice for this.
Nature / bird / animals. IBIS is useful, but the lack of long enough lenses would limit this use severely. And again, if you have to hike / walk long distances, 1.2 kg for the camera body alone would make this pretty uncomfortable vs, say, FF.
Street. Well, I don't think anyone would consider the GFX 100 for this.
Reportage. I don't think anyone would consider the GFX 100 for this either.

If saying IMHO once in the opening paragraph is enough to make it "not absolute" so be it, but to me it came across as pretty absolute, including how you refuted other input. All in IMHO of course ;)

Btw, the "bollocks" was also "in my mind", so not absolute either. So there is no need to feel insulted by that, IMHO.

Last edited:

Satrycon

so this new back can be used on a SWC too ?

I have a fairly complete Hasselblad 500CM kit (body, finders, backs, four lenses, filters, etc etc). I'm saving my pennies for the CFV 50c II now.

Once I have that, my existing Hasselblad 500CM kit becomes pseudo-modern and I can then see how it performs first hand ... and consider whether I want to add the 907X body/mount and XCD 21mm lens. The complete setup would net me a 50Mpixel Hassy reflex system capable of shooting film and digital capture, and a digital capture 39Mpixel SWC.

I can think of worse things ... like starting over and buying some other hyper-expensive MFD system from scratch. Given how well just using a 10mm lens on my Leica CL works, alongside using a bunch of other up to 55 year old lenses on that camera, I can't imagine that there would be much of a downside to this new back, body, and the XCD 21mm lens.

I always keep in mind that the goal is not getting the most amazing technology and the hugest pile of cool features, it's making photographs that I like. And that whatever clients I might shoot for are willing to pay their money for. :D

G

If I remember correctly, people were reporting the lens did not play well with the sensor on the original CFV. Much like trying to use a ZM 21/4.5 on an M240, the ray angle of incidence causes smearing from the mid-zone out. Since it's the same sensor, I believe it will have the same problem.

One thing that would make the 907x really attractive is another take on the VX adapter. Stick with the tube design but add a rotating grip around it that's geared one-way to a shutter-cocking pin and electrical contacts on the camera side to power a motorized shutter trip. You wouldn't have to set the shutter speed on the camera. With the proper logic, it should be able to tell you how long your exposure was without setting it to match the lens (we could even find out how accurate our CF shutters are).

Electronic shutters are great and useful at times, but being able to use the central shutters of legacy lenses would be a great option to have.

Abstraction

G

I have a difficult time visualizing how you would use that camera in portrait orientation. Do you use a flip bracket?

Jan

Using a Phase One back on a SWC i have no such issues. I have no knowledge about how the CFV backs perform, i am aware of the Hasselblad 'warnings' in their CFV product sheets.

If I remember correctly, people were reporting the lens did not play well with the sensor on the original CFV. Much like trying to use a ZM 21/4.5 on an M240, the ray angle of incidence causes smearing from the mid-zone out. Since it's the same sensor, I believe it will have the same problem.

Godfrey

I tried a CFV50c on my SWC, when I still had it. It can be used, but the back of the Biogon 38mm sits so close to the sensor that the corners and edges of the frame are degraded even despite that it crops quite a bit out with the smaller format (33x44 mm vs 56x56 mm on film). And of course, the effect of the SWC's Biogon 38 on 56x56 mm format is lost with the smaller format, so there's really no point. The CFV50c worked well with my 500CM and its lenses, and I used a Distagon 50 to compensate with the smaller format and provide the same field of view as the Planar 80 on film when I was testing the setup (diagonal FoV of the Planar 80 on 56x56 is ~53 degrees, the Distagon 50 on 33x33 produces ~50 degrees). On a 33x33 square format, you need 21-22 mm focal length to achieve the SWC's field of view, never available in the V system... I didn't end up buying the CFV50c at the time because it was a bit more money than I wanted to spend and the external battery was awkward, and got in the way of the camera's handling.

The CFV50c II model with internal battery and flip up LCD for a waist level view, and the 907x used with XCD 21mm lens on it, nets back the handling of the 500CM and SWC in an all digital system. It is almost exactly what I'd been hoping for. :D

Now I just have to figure out how much I want it and bend finances in that direction if the answer is "I want it enough." Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my "mini-digital SWC" produced by putting the Voigtländer 10mm lens on my Leica CL. :D

G

Godfrey

I have a difficult time visualizing how you would use that camera in portrait orientation. Do you use a flip bracket?
Since I would crop to square format with the CFV50CII/907x/21mm lens most of the time, it would not be an issue. However, with the hand grip that Hasselblad has shown it would be easy with an eye level finder or the LCD on the back, and on a tripod I can use my Kirk Photo universal L bracket to rotate the camera from landscape to portrait orientation easily.

The same solutions work fine with the 500CM body as well, using the Hasselblad 500CM grip for hand-held work with a 90° eye level prism finder. (I have one of those grips but not the 90° finder, because I've never had an A16 back; I use it with the 45° prism. It isn't hard to find the 90° finder at a reasonable price, however.)

G