Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Hello friends,

    I wish to buy one of the two lenses mentioned from one of the friends who is more of a collector of items than a photographer who uses the items. I will be using the lens on a Pentax 645Z.

    Both cannot be/ will not be used handheld. So I will be using them with Wemberley WH-200 gimbal head on a Kaiser Tiltall TC-284 tripod.

    Photography subjects of interest would be wildlife in habitat and birds at rest or moving slowly. Of course I would continue to try animals in action and birds in gentle flight but without much expectation of success.

    The 67 lens is 6 kg but half the price of the 645 lens which weighs approx 3 kg.

    Please advise on pros and cons considering that both would be used on the gymbal head so portability is equally sacrificed, but there could be other practical issues like quality, resolution, contrast, aberration etc (and the 67 though fast is a vintage lens while the 645 is a star lens). What would you recommend in case price is not a factor?

    I would be thankful for early reply if you can as the guy is eager to sell and I am eager to buy.

    Regards.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Got a few details on these vintage monster lenses. Looks like the 645 lens with its ED glass would surpass the 67 lens particularly in respect of control of chromatic aberration. It is also lighter and perhaps sharper.

    I intend buying the 645 600mm f/5.6 lens.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Have you perused the reviews at www.pentaxforums.com? https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/ From that site, it appears that the P645 600mm is in a very different league than the P67 600mm.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Have you perused the reviews at www.pentaxforums.com? https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/ From that site, it appears that the P645 600mm is in a very different league than the P67 600mm.
    Yes I have gone through the reviews. They both talk well of both the lenses. I needed to find out which was comparatively better. From what I have been able to gather, it appears that the 645 lens is a much better lens.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    I know one member here shoots with the 645 600mm on a 645Z and may chime in. From my understanding, the 645 lens is of higher optical quality. It will also work better with your 645Z.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I know one member here shoots with the 645 600mm on a 645Z and may chime in. From my understanding, the 645 lens is of higher optical quality. It will also work better with your 645Z.
    Hey Will, you know three of us . Tom, Ed and myself both all own and use the 645 600mm. I cannot speak for the 67 lens, never having used it, except for a few test shots with a 67 film camera long ago. The 645 600 is a more modern lens and thus I will go out on a limb and say its no doubt optically superior. I've used big lenses throughout the years, but this lens is quite large and heavy and of course a tripod only lens (often used on a Wimbley). Stability is the key to obtaining sharp shots but when stabilized properly, it's a excellent lens optically. Built quality is also excellent, with good contrast. Sharpness wide open is fairly good but improves noticeably when stopped down to at least f8. I haven't tested it specifically for various aberrations like CA, SA or distortion. Lens though would even be better if Pentax included a coupon for a Sherpa .

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 13th November 2019 at 08:49.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    What Dave said. The 67 600mm is an old design with 6 elements, the 645 lens has 12, including ED. The 645 lens is old by today's standards but it is very sharp with almost no CA, but requires care in use to avoid vibrations. A cropped example, using a 1.4x as well:Attachment 145116
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    I have the 645 600mm lens too and concur with what's been said above - very sharp lens, but needs great care in use. Minimum two points of support, ideally three. Not for the faint-hearted or the spontaneous shot!

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    I have the 645 600mm lens too and concur with what's been said above - very sharp lens, but needs great care in use. Minimum two points of support, ideally three. Not for the faint-hearted or the spontaneous shot!
    Hi Ed. I just amended my previous post (above) to include yourself in the group of three of us here on Getdpi who use this beast of a lens.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Hi all: A lens not as long as you would like, but may I recommend a lens I have: It is a SMC Pentax-A* 645, 1:4 ED(IF). referred to as "Green Star". I also have a matched 1.4X Multiplier made specifically for this lens, so it ends up being a 420mm f5.6. It is light, easy to handle (but has no built in tripod foot). I no longer have my Pentax 645D [ I replaced it with a Fuji GFX 50R which is half the weight (82 years old...it matters!)].
    Good luck. Believe me, Dave (D&A) knows his stuff....if he likes it, it is good!
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Hello all,

    Thank you for your valued comments and advice. Much appreciated.

    I guess it is pretty much settled that the 645 600mm is a much better choice. Perhaps the only competition to it is the Pentax 67 400mm f/4 M* lens coupled to the 1.4X rear converter. If you use this combo with a 67 to 645 adapter, it would be sort of equivalent to the 645 format 600mm f/5.6 lens. The advantage is that you can use this as a dual lens - 400mm at f/4 & 560mm at f/5.6. The disadvantage is the obvious issue of adding the converter and the adapter to the lens, with possibility of play between components and likelihood of the converter degrading the image somewhat (even if it is very highly rated).

    I can of course use the 645 400mm f/5.6 lens with the 645 1.4x adapter. But this lens is reportedly nowhere compared to the 67 M* 400mm f/4 lens, besides being one stop slower.

    Anyway, since photography with such lenses is a deliberate and slow process (which would include working close to where you park the car or hiring a pony & a sherpa) , I might as well bite the bullet and simply go for the 645 600mm f/5.6 lens to complement the existing 300mm f/4 and 400mm f/5.6 lenses, with the 645 1.4x thrown in to go as long as one possibly can with the 645 system (840mm at f/8). And perhaps it would never get better than this.

    The other comparable option is to mount the SMC FA* 600mm f/5.6 on a K1 or a K3. But this great lens is at least twice the cost of the 645 A* 600mm manual focus lens. Maybe your keepers with the MF lens would be less than the AF lens, but I believe the joy of photography is not just in the final result of keeper images, but the act of photography itself. And if you manage to get that one previsualised image using the 645Z, I think it would be all worth the trouble.

    So I guess Pentax 645 A* 600mm f/5.6 is the way to go 😅

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    I can confirm that the Pentax 6x7 400mm f4EDIF works very well with either the 6x7 1.4x converter or the 645 1.4x converter. Here are two shots taken with this lens and the 6x7 converter:

    [IMG]IMGP5611_Step6sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMGP5035_Step6sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

    I do not think performance is quite as good as the 645 600mm lens, but it's nice.

    As a curiosity, this one was taken with both of those converters stacked:

    [IMG]IMGP4827_Step12sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

    Although you can consider 400mm + 1.4x as an alternative to the 600mm, you could of course get the 600mm and then use that with the 1.4x ;-)
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Hi Ed,

    Thank you for your advice.

    Never thought of combining the 67 1.4X with the 645 1.4x. That is very innovative indeed.

    The shots are absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    I shall get the 645 600mm for sure 😊
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Where are you located? If it is anywhere at all convenient, maybe one of us could give you a chance to try ours before you get one...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Where are you located? If it is anywhere at all convenient, maybe one of us could give you a chance to try ours before you get one...
    Indeed it's so kind of you Ed. I am based in India. Thanks for your offer to help.

    With so many positive reviews, including by masters like you, I won't go wrong if I get this lens.

    I am going ahead :-)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Very kind of you to put it that way...

    Good luck with it. The results are worth it, but don't be shocked at the hard work it takes to keep the lens truly steady. It seems to be more fussy than other lenses of comparable length (not sure why).

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Very kind of you to put it that way...

    Good luck with it. The results are worth it, but don't be shocked at the hard work it takes to keep the lens truly steady. It seems to be more fussy than other lenses of comparable length (not sure why).
    I completely concur with Ed. The lens seems to be quite fussy with regards to stability in order to achieve sharpness and maximum resolution...certainly more than other lenses of comparable size and weight. Maybe it's the combination of it being medium format, size and weight of the lens. Just a thought. Best of luck with the lens and please keep us posted.

    Dave (D&A)

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Hey thank you Dave & Ed and all who helped me make up my mind.

    I bought the lens from a German gentleman along with the 1.4X for Euro 1360 including shipping charges. I should get it in my hand by mid February latest when someone will bring it to India.

    It worked out much cheaper than buying it from someone in Japan who were quoting not less than USD 1800 + USD 200 shipping charges. Add USD 200 at least for Texas local taxes + some import duties and I was staring at around USD 2400 or so (without the converter).

    I hope the lens is as good as its price. I tried to coax the seller to confirm condition of the lens as per the scale of Japanese sellers on ebay - new, top mint, mint, near mint, excellent etc. The seller would only say "good lens, clean optics". I have had similar experience while interacting with other German sellers. They don't have too many adjectives in their repertoire perhaps.

    I hope to make some decent images with this lens. I hope my Kaiser Tiltall TC284 carbon fibre tripod and Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Head would be adequate to support it.

    Cheers.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxitin View Post
    I hope the lens is as good as its price. I tried to coax the seller to confirm condition of the lens as per the scale of Japanese sellers on ebay - new, top mint, mint, near mint, excellent etc. The seller would only say "good lens, clean optics". I have had similar experience while interacting with other German sellers. They don't have too many adjectives in their repertoire perhaps.
    Glad to hear you found what you need. I hope this works out for you. You're more patient than I am. February delivery!

    It's not just German sellers. I find many (most) of the European sellers on the big auction site are very sparing with their descriptions, and the photography of the items is often rudimentary (as in a couple bad cell phone pictures and that's it). It's a different approach. My solution is to ask specific questions about things I'm interested in. The people who can't be bothered to answer (and there are many of those surprisingly) don't get my business.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Glad to hear you found what you need. I hope this works out for you. You're more patient than I am. February delivery!

    It's not just German sellers. I find many (most) of the European sellers on the big auction site are very sparing with their descriptions, and the photography of the items is often rudimentary (as in a couple bad cell phone pictures and that's it). It's a different approach. My solution is to ask specific questions about things I'm interested in. The people who can't be bothered to answer (and there are many of those surprisingly) don't get my business.
    Maybe it is the language issue, and also because the Japanese sellers have been doing it with large numbers of photography goods for long, so that they have honed the art of selling.

    I will be keeping my fingers crossed till the time the lens arrives physically.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Glad to hear you've found your lens, I'm sure will enjoy it, but pay heed to Ed's and Dave's comments about stability. I'm convinced that the difficulty stems from the mechanical shutter of the 645Z. When it opens, it it produses vibrations (rotation) that cause movement in the camera body if the body is not directly attached to the tripod. A Manfrotto long lens support is helpful here. It attaches to a tripod leg and the portrait plate of the 645Z, giving two attachment points and resistence to rotation around the tripod head mount. The shutter effect is also seen in the 400mm (645 FA). When used on a tripod, vibrations are reduced more by attaching the tripod at the body rather than at the lens. I did a test using the 600mm with a 645Z and a Fuji 50R. The Fuji used an EFSC to eliminate vibrations from the opening of the shutter. I've combined crops of a chair in the attached photos. Colors are as they come from ACR without modification. The Z image shows signs of camera movement. I did this test several times, the Fuji was always slightly sharper at the speeds used (1/40-1/100s). I did not use any addtional stabilization I would typically have for the 645Z in this test

    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	645z50R600mm.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	658.2 KB 
ID:	145880  
    Last edited by tsjanik; 5th December 2019 at 09:53. Reason: clarification

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Glad to hear you've found your lens, I'm sure will enjoy it, but pay heed to Ed's and Dave's comments about stability. I'm convinced that the difficulty stems from the mechanical shutter of the 645Z. When it opens, it it produses vibrations (rotation) that cause movement in the camera body if the body is not directly attached to the tripod. A Manfrotto long lens support is helpful here. It attaches to a tripod leg and the portrait plate of the 645Z, giving two attachment points and resistence to rotation around the tripod head mount. The shutter effect is also seen in the 400mm (645 FA). When used on a tripod, vibrations are reduced more by attaching the tripod at the body rather than at the lens. I did a test using the 600mm with a 645Z and a Fuji 50R. The Fuji used an EFSC to eliminate vibrations from the opening of the shutter. I've combined crops of a chair in the attached photos. Colors are as they come from ACR without modification. The Z image shows signs of camera movement. I did this test several times, the Fuji was always slightly sharper at the speeds used (1/40-1/100s). I did not use any addtional stabilization I would typically have for the 645Z in this test

    Tom
    Thank you Tom.

    Even as I understand that the long lens support would be useful, would the Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head not be adequate?

    The vibration is induced in the camera body and is independent of the attached lens. So any long lens with its hood protruding out should logically affect the camera body shake almost equally due to wind. Why should the 600mm specifically be more problematic?

    It would be interesting to probe this further.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxitin View Post
    Thank you Tom.

    Even as I understand that the long lens support would be useful, would the Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head not be adequate?

    The vibration is induced in the camera body and is independent of the attached lens. So any long lens with its hood protruding out should logically affect the camera body shake almost equally due to wind. Why should the 600mm specifically be more problematic?

    It would be interesting to probe this further.

    I understand your confusion and very logical process of seeking to understand. I am not sure that I can fully explain it, as the lens does seem to be disproportionately fussy about support, even by comparison to other lenses of similar size and length (at least when used on a medium format camera with a focal plane shutter). Maybe it's about the balance of the lens... Maybe it's about the physical construction and how it transmits shutter vibration through its structure. Whatever it is, I can assure you that there is a challenge here. However good the head, I am quite confident that this lens needs support in at least two places (and ideally three) before it can deliver maximally sharp results with the Pentax 645D/Z. I have found that a decent support on the tripod mount is a starting point, then the camera needs support in a way that is separated from the lens support (ideally a separate tripod, perhaps a monopod; as a minimum, a mounting to the tripod that is significantly separated from how the lens is attached to it). The third point of support (at the front of the lens) is desirable but not essential if the first two points are done well.

    If you manage to troubleshoot and analyse this, I would be delighted to see the results. But my hands-on experience seems to match that of all other people I know who have used this lens with the Pentax 645D/Z bodies, so I think you'd better set yourself to provide at least two points of support :-)
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    There is not a lot I can add to both Tom's and Ed's excellent assessment of the situation regarding support for the Pentax A* 600mm f5.6 645 lens. At the very least a 2 point support (one for the camera and one for the lens) is absolutely necessary (as they both pointed out) or image degradation will be abundantly apparent. The most portable and least expensive way to accomplish this is as Tom mentioned...the Manfrotto long lens support where while the tripod head is attached to the lens, the Manfrotto long lens support is attached at one end to the camera body and the other to one of the tripod lens and then its extended in such a way to put slight upward pressure on the body, minimizing vibration as a consequence, resulting in rigidity of the camera body and lens as though a single unit. If though you reposition or move the camera body/lens to change composition, you have to loose (via a set screw) the long lens support. Therefore its not an ideal solution when shooting moving subjects nor is it the ultimate in support. then again a two tripod support is also not ideal with moving subjects. The Manfrotto though the most portable solution in the field compared to more rigid and effective solutions.

    Now with regards to the Wimberley, which I've used with this lens, its a tradeoff. It's certainly ideal when shooting moving subjects as I did with both the young Cheetah (posted earlier) as well as adult cats (cheetahs and others), but often at a sacrifice of optimal results. Moving subjects don't have to be moving at the time of the shot, but the Wimberley allows reframing if the subject is often on the move. Of course if the subject is actually moving, the Wimberley has the advantage of getting the shot which otherwise might be lost by a two tripod or Manfrotto set-up. I will add the Wimberley is far far superior than a single tripod/head combo. It often come down to what subjects you plan to shoot with this lens and that will determine your choice as a solution to providing adequate support.

    As they have both pointed out, there is something about the combination of the 645 body ( 645D/Z) and this lens that's clearly different in required support vs. other camera large lens combinations that are just as large and weighty. Long ago I actively shot with Pentax 35mm bodies (both film and digital) with their humongous Pentax 250-600 f5.6 zoom lens as well as their 600 f4. Same goes with Nikon pro bodies and their super telephotos and never have I encountered the issues that I have with the Pentax A* 600mm 645 lens. In those other large lens's situations I even was able to get by with a single support point under the lens and on rare occasions with a monopod. No in camera or lens stabilization was available either.

    if I had to venture a guess and I could be completely mistaken, I think it has to do more with the 645D/Z body than anything else. Maybe its the boxy shape of the body along with a much larger than 35mm mirror box and accompanied vibration and that vibration transmits to the lens. Maybe the construction and materials used in the lens, lends itself to picking up vibration more than other large lenses and combined with the vibrations induced by the 645D/Z results in the extraordinary need for vibration reducing support.

    Trial and error test shots with various support will provide you with the solution and although the Wimberley head may and usually will result in clarity in images, testing with 2 point support will also demonstrate what is missing when the Wimberley is employed vs. a 2 point support system.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 6th December 2019 at 06:14.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    I understand your confusion and very logical process of seeking to understand. I am not sure that I can fully explain it, as the lens does seem to be disproportionately fussy about support, even by comparison to other lenses of similar size and length (at least when used on a medium format camera with a focal plane shutter). Maybe it's about the balance of the lens... Maybe it's about the physical construction and how it transmits shutter vibration through its structure. Whatever it is, I can assure you that there is a challenge here. However good the head, I am quite confident that this lens needs support in at least two places (and ideally three) before it can deliver maximally sharp results with the Pentax 645D/Z. I have found that a decent support on the tripod mount is a starting point, then the camera needs support in a way that is separated from the lens support (ideally a separate tripod, perhaps a monopod; as a minimum, a mounting to the tripod that is significantly separated from how the lens is attached to it). The third point of support (at the front of the lens) is desirable but not essential if the first two points are done well.

    If you manage to troubleshoot and analyse this, I would be delighted to see the results. But my hands-on experience seems to match that of all other people I know who have used this lens with the Pentax 645D/Z bodies, so I think you'd better set yourself to provide at least two points of support :-)
    Thanks Ed. I will keep these points in mind when I start using the lens.

    I was hoping to use this lens to shoot stationary but slowly moving about birds and mammals. With two tripods for the lens and the camera, one would be restricted to shoot in a single and straight direction, thus removing manoeuvrability out of the equation. That would be highly restrictive.

    So when it comes to birds/mammals, I could only shoot birds in their nests (once spotted) or a mammal resting leisurely in one spot.

    That means the more portable option of the 400mm + 1.4X would still have applications despite owning this 600mm lens. 😅

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    There is not a lot I can add to both Tom's and Ed's excellent assessment of the situation regarding support for the Pentax A* 600mm f5.6 645 lens. At the very least a 2 point support (one for the camera and one for the lens) is absolutely necessary (as they both pointed out) or image degradation will be abundantly apparent. The most portable and least expensive way to accomplish this is as Tom mentioned...the Manfrotto long lens support where while the tripod head is attached to the lens, the Manfrotto long lens support is attached at one end to the camera body and the other to one of the tripod lens and then its extended in such a way to put slight upward pressure on the body, minimizing vibration as a consequence, resulting in rigidity of the camera body lens as a single. If though you reposition or move the camera body/lens to change composition, you have to loose (via a set screw) the long lens support. Therefore its not an ideal solution when shooting moving subjects nor is it the ultimate in support. then again a two tripod support is also not ideal with moving subjects. The Manfrotto though the most portable solution in the field compared to more rigid and effective solutions.

    Now with regards to the Wimberley, which I've used with this lens, its a tradeoff. It's certainly ideal when shooting moving subjects as I did with both the young Cheetah (posted earlier) as well as adult cats (cheetahs and others), but often at a sacrifice of optimal results. Moving subjects don't have to be moving at the time of the shot, but the Wimberley allows reframing if the subject is often on the move. Of course if the subject is actually moving, the Wimberley has the advantage of getting the shot which otherwise might be lost by a two tripod or Manfrotto set-up. I will add the Wimberley is far far superior than a single tripod/head combo. It often come down to what subjects you plan to shoot with this lens and that will determine your choice as a solution to providing adequate support.

    As they have both pointed out, there is something about the combination of the 645 body ( 645D/Z) and this lens that's clearly different in required support vs. other camera large lens combinations that are just as large and weighty. Long ago I actively shot with Pentax 35mm bodies (both film and digital) with their humongous Pentax 250-600 f5.6 zoom lens as well as their 600 f4. Same goes with Nikon pro bodies and their super telephotos and never have I encountered the issues that I have with the Pentax A* 600mm 645 lens. In those other large lens's situations I even was able to get by with a single support point under the lens and on rare occasions with a monopod. No in camera or lens stabilization was available either.

    if I had to venture a guess and I could be completely mistaken, I think it has to do more with the 645D/Z body than anything else. Maybe its the boxy shape of the body along with a much larger than 35mm mirror box and accompanied vibration and that vibration transmits to the lens. Maybe the construction and materials used in the lens, lends itself to picking up vibration more than other large lenses and combined with the vibrations induced by the 645D/Z results in the extraordinary need for vibration reducing support.

    Trial and error test shots with various support will provide you with the solution and although the Wimberley head may and usually will result in clarity in images, testing with 2 point support will also demonstrate what is missing when the Wimberley is employed vs. a 2 point support system.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thank you Dave for such a detailed explanation.

    It is amply clear to me that this lens is going to be a different ball game and throw up challenges never before encountered.

    I would be eagerly waiting for the arrival of the lens in February and then try to use it. I hope to put in place an adequate support system for the camera and lens combination to get optimal results.

    Thank you once again.

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxitin View Post
    Thank you Dave for such a detailed explanation.

    It is amply clear to me that this lens is going to be a different ball game and throw up challenges never before encountered.

    I would be eagerly waiting for the arrival of the lens in February and then try to use it. I hope to put in place an adequate support system for the camera and lens combination to get optimal results.

    Thank you once again.
    Although the lens has many possible uses, do you have some idea if you mostly plan to use it for static subjects or those that occasionally or often move.? I ask as this might dictate the type and degree of support required.

    Dave (D&A)

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Although the lens has many possible uses, do you have some idea if you mostly plan to use it for static subjects or those that occasionally or often move.? I ask as this might dictate the type and degree of support required.

    Dave (D&A)
    For now, I plan to use it for stationary objects or those moving occasionally and again becoming stationary. More like animals in habitat.

    But some degree of manoeuvrability is most highly desirable for the sake of slight changes in composition etc.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxitin View Post
    For now, I plan to use it for stationary objects or those moving occasionally and again becoming stationary. More like animals in habitat.

    But some degree of manoeuvrability is most highly desirable for the sake of slight changes in composition etc.
    That's helpful to know. I should have mentioned that the Manfrotto long lens support "does" allow for small changes in composition simply by loosing the knurled knob which is like a set screw, loosing head and then re-tightening both. In practice its a fairly quick procedure. Of course a true two point stability set-up is best.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 7th December 2019 at 08:01.

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    That's helpful to know. I should have mentioned that the Manfrotto long lens support "does" allow for small changes in composition simply by loosing the knurled knob which is like a set screw, loosing head and then re-tightening both. In practice its a fairly quick procedure. Of course a true two point stability set-up is best.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thanks Dave.

    I will check out the Manfrotto long lens support. Will need to look for one.

    Is this the one you are recommending:

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bhp...pport.html/amp

    And does this one go on the Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head? Or on the Arca Swiss ball head that I have?

    If I am putting this on the gimbal head as a self-contained unit with camera & lens mounted on the long lens support, then there will be a very fair degree of of manoeuvrability possible, right?

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    This was helpful when I photographed the moon:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_Support.html

    Seem to be discontinued, Sad!

    Martin

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    This was helpful when I photographed the moon:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_Support.html

    Seem to be discontinued, Sad!

    Martin
    Yes, the product Martin provided the link for, is the Manfrotto long lens support I was referring to in my posts above. It helps tremendously although not the pinnacle of 2 point support for a very large lens, it is portable and does allow some lateral movement, slow and methodical as it may be to accomplish that. It was around for years so no doubt copies of this particular long lens support can be found.

    Dave (D&A)

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    This was helpful when I photographed the moon:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_Support.html

    Seem to be discontinued, Sad!

    Martin
    Thanks Martin

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Yes, the product Martin provided the link for, is the Manfrotto long lens support I was referring to in my posts above. It helps tremendously although not the pinnacle of 2 point support for a very large lens, it is portable and does allow some lateral movement, slow and methodical as it may be to accomplish that. It was around for years so no doubt copies of this particular long lens support can be found.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thanks Dave.

    The item seems to be available on a few websites though :-)

    https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/manf...s-support/p785


    https://www.adorama.com/bg3591.html


    https://carmarthencameras.com/manfro...s-support.html


    And a review on the following:-

    https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...mc-1000mm.html

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    The Adorama site (link) says "On Backorder". I doubt they'll get any new ones in. The other site seems to have one in stock.

    Dave (D&A)

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645 600mm f/5.6 or Pentax 67 600mm f/4

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    The Adorama site (link) says "On Backorder". I doubt they'll get any new ones in. The other site seems to have one in stock.

    Dave (D&A)
    Maybe I should grab it before it gets sold.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •